1999, could that be the greatest year in film history?

Started by Fernando, March 30, 2003, 12:53:27 AM

Fernando

Just take a look a the list of some of the films released in 1999:

American Beauty
Cider House Rules
Green Mile
Insider
Sixth Sense
The Hurricane
The Straight Story
Sweet & Lowdown
Boy's don't cry
The end of the affair
Magnolia
Talented Mr. Ripley
Girl Interrupted
Topsy-Turvy
Election
Sleepy Hollow
Snow falling on cedars
Matrix
Episode I
Fight Club
Angela's ashes
All about my mother
Man on the moon
Eyes Wide Shut
Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai
The Limey
Bringing Out the Dead
Cradle Will Rock
Felicia's Journey
Onegin
Not one less

Of course some films mentioned here are not really great films, but even so, for example, Episode I (which I didn't like BTW) IMO is not even a good film but you can't deny it had a cultural impact, if anything because of the anticipation it created among fans of the SW saga, but still did.

For me the film that stands by itself is Eyes Wide Shut, all Kubrick films were highly anticipated and this one was no exception, and all had mayor impact in the film industry, even if they don't have awards, his films so far have always passed the test of time and will endure for years to come.

And other films that really were (IMO) masterpieces, Magnolia, The Insider, Fight CLub, Sweet & Lowdown, Straight Story, Not one less.

There's also a huge abstent of foreign films ubt there really very few I saw, therefore can't really include many, also, if there are other films you consider I left out please mention them.

Regards.

Ghostboy

99 is the year by which all other years are judged.

Fernando

Summer of Sam, how could I forget that one, I knew it, great film and great performances by Leguizamo, Brody, Sorvino.

Cecil

here are a few more

any given sunday (i guess)
being john malkovich
austin powers
blair witch project (i guess)
detterence (i guess)
eye of the beholder (i guess)
emporte-moi
eXistenZ
holy smoke (i guess)
ninth gate
pirates of silicon valley (tv)
revenous
south park: bigger, longer & uncut
stir of echoes
sugar town
titus
virgin suicides
toy story 2
the war zone

oh yeah, apart from a few stinkers, '99 rocked.

Fernando

Holy crap! I almost did this list just for a few extraordinary films, EWS, Magnolia, Straight Story, S&L and others. But also I had always in mind BJM, Ninth Gate and Virgin Suicides, damn; if there was ever a year in which the original screenplay was really tough is this one, honestly, if I had to choose the best I might give it a tie between Magnolia and BJM (another 99 masterpiece).

©brad

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Ernie

Where in the hell is Three Kings!? That's one of the best movies not only of 99 but of all time!

99 was definitely one of the great years. I hope 2003 is awesome.

soixante

1999 was a great year.  My favorite film of 1999 was Go, which on first viewing seems like a Tarantino ripoff, but after a 2nd and 3rd viewing, comes into its own.  Lots of great performances (Sarah Polley, William Fichtner, Tim Olyphant -- even Katie Holmes was good).  Nice jump-cut editing, cool action scenes, witty dialogue, clever structure.

Any year with Magnolia, Fight Club, South Park, Eyes Wide Shut, Topsy Turvy, Election, Being John Malkovich, Boys Don't Cry, The Limey, American Movie, Straight Story and American Beauty has to rank as one of the best of all time.  In fact, 1999 was probably the best year for films since the glory days of the mid-70's.

But let's not leave out 1998, which was also a damn good year -- Thin Red Line, Saving Private Ryan, Happiness, Rushmore, Affliction, American History X, A Soldier's Daughter Never Cries, Celebrity, Buffalo 66, Your Friends and Neighbors, Last Days of Disco, Out of Sight, Velvet Goldmine, Bulwoth, Henry Fool, 2 Girls and A Guy, Truman Show, Gods and Monster, Another Day in Paradise ,The General.
Music is your best entertainment value.

Duck Sauce

Yes, 1999. A year with equal greatness will never be seen again..

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: cecil b. dementedtitus

Thank you. Let's just say that again:

TITUS.[/size]

Gold Trumpet

Nothing about 1999 was really special at all. I looked at the list of films mentioned for coming out that year and honestly thought half were bad, a quarter were good and 10% being overtly good while 5% were great.

I have yet to see one movie from that year that I've really wanted to see, The Straight Story.

But I think 2003 will turn into an actual great year. 2002 seems more dissapointing.

~rougerum

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetNothing about 1999 was really special at all.

Gold Trumpet

every year has a few great movies, thats a given.

~rougerum