2006 MTV Movie Awards

Started by MacGuffin, April 24, 2006, 11:16:42 AM

MacGuffin

MTV Movie Awards celebrate fun of films

Jessica Alba played starring roles in "King Kong," "Mission Impossible: III" and "The Da Vinci Code." At least she did on Saturday, when she parodied the three blockbusters as the host of the 2006 MTV Movie Awards, known for taking a lighthearted look at the industry it honors.

This is the awards show where a teen-is-king attitude reigns, where stars step out in jeans and use the f-word in acceptance speeches.

"It's not even like an awards show," said actor Zach Braff. "It feels like a birthday party."

The unconventional ceremony, held on a soundstage at Sony Studios, celebrates the fun of films with prizes recognizing the best on-screen hero, villain, kiss and fight, as well as sexy, funny and frightened performances. The awards are based on fan votes.

Last summer's "Wedding Crashers" was the night's big winner, collecting three trophies, including the coveted Golden Popcorn for best movie.

The film also earned breakthrough performance honors for Isla Fisher and best on-screen team award for Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson.

"For most people, playing a bipolar nymphomaniac would have been a challenge," Fisher said with a grin. "But I just played myself."

Vaughn, accepting his award by video, said that working with Wilson made him "feel like a jockey on the back of a great horse."

"I thought we had a shot at best on-screen kiss," Wilson quipped.

Jake Gyllenhaal, who beat out Oscar-winner Reese Witherspoon for best performance, teamed with "Brokeback Mountain" co-star Heath Ledger for best kiss.

"This is a real honor, not just for me and Heath but for all of you, that you picked this movie and this kiss over all the other ones," Gyllenhaal said.

Alba took home her own Golden Popcorn trophy for her sexy striptease performance in "Sin City."

"Thank you to all the perverts who voted for me," she said. "Thank you to the fans. I do movies for you. Practice safe sex and drive hybrids if you can."

Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx, the team soon to be seen in the big-screen rendition of "Miami Vice," presented the prize for best fight with a serving of silliness. Foxx beat-boxed on the microphone and threatened to "fight someone tonight" before announcing the winners: Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt for their fiery feud in "Mr. & Mrs. Smith."

"Angelina and Brad are stuck in traffic," Farrell said. "They're doing their thing and we all wish them a big congratulations."

Jolie recently gave birth to the couple's daughter in Africa.

Christian Bale won best hero for his role in "Batman Begins" and thanked his wife, whom he called "my own personal Wonder Woman." Hayden Christensen was named best villain for his turn as Darth Vader in "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith." He thanked George Lucas "for giving me the chance to play such a cool character."

Rapper LL Cool J presented Spike Lee with the Silver Bucket of Excellence for "Do the Right Thing," his 1989 film examining racial tensions. The prize honors a movie from the past that has present-day resonance.

"The sad thing is that the issues that we tried to address with `Do the Right Thing' are still with us today, so how much progress have we made?" Lee asked as he accepted his award.

Will Ferrell and a nearly unrecognizable John C. Reilly came to the show as the rebel racecar drivers they play in the forthcoming "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby." The pair didn't win anything, but gave a thank-you speech anyway. They presented the best comedic performance prize to Steve Carell for "The 40-Year-Old Virgin."

Later, Ferrell honored fellow funnyman Jim Carrey with the MTV Generation Award for his diverse body of work.

"This man's versatility makes Thomas Jefferson look like a big fat idiot," Ferrell said.

Wearing an all-white suit, Carrey took the stage with a cadre of winged angels and performed a spontaneous hip-shaking jig.

The show also featured musical performances by soul duo Gnarls Barkley, rockers AFI and Christina Aguilera, who performed "Ain't No Other Man."

The show is scheduled to air at 8:30 p.m. June 8 on MTV.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

A prostitute on a good day couldn't have sucked as hard as this show did.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

Quote from: MacGuffin on June 09, 2006, 01:15:34 AM
A prostitute on a good day couldn't have sucked as hard as this show did.
Then I guess...

grand theft sparrow

If there was a way to gauge it, I'd be willing to bet that the Kong sketch will become the .

And I've lost hope that Talladega Nights will be any good.