2006 MTV Movie Awards

Started by MacGuffin, April 24, 2006, 11:16:42 AM

MacGuffin

Comedies Dominate MTV Awards

Comedies, frequently snubbed by award shows, will be front and center at this year's MTV Movie Awards.

"The 40-Year Old Virgin" and "Wedding Crashers" lead with five nominations each, MTV announced Monday. Both films will compete for best movie along with "Batman Begins," "King Kong" and "Sin City."

"Virgin" star Steve Carell is up for three awards, including best performance, best comedic performance and best on-screen team with Paul Rudd, Seth Rogen and Romany Malco.

Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn will also vie for best on-screen team for "Wedding Crashers." Both actors received nominations for best comedic performance.

Nominees for best kiss include Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger for "Brokeback Mountain" and Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie for "Mr. & Mrs. Smith."

"Crash," the Academy Awards best-picture winner, didn't receive a nomination.

One of the more unlikely groups of nominees is for sexiest performance, a newly added category. Rob Schneider, star of "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo," competes with Beyonce Knowles, Jessica Alba, Jessica Simpson and Ziyi Zhang.

MTV has also added a category for best hero and will present an mtvU Student Filmmaker Award. For the first time, acting awards won't be divided by gender, and instead will be grouped under best performance.

A host and performers will be announced later.

The 2006 MTV Movie Awards will take place June 3 at Sony Picture Studios in Culver City, Calif. The show will air June 8 on MTV (9 p.m. EDT).

Nominees for the 2006 MTV Movie Awards are:

BEST MOVIE
"The 40-Year Old Virgin" (Universal Pictures)
"Batman Begins" (Warner Bros. Pictures)
"King Kong" (Universal Pictures)
"Sin City" (Dimension Films)
"Wedding Crashers" (New Line Cinema)

BEST PERFORMANCE
Joaquin Phoenix - "Walk the Line" (20th Century Fox)
Jake Gyllenhaal - "Brokeback Mountain" (Focus Features)
Rachel McAdams - "Red Eye" (DreamWorks SKG)
Steve Carell - "The 40-Year Old Virgin" (Universal Pictures)
Terrence Howard - "Hustle & Flow" (Paramount Classics)
Reese Witherspoon - "Walk the Line" (20th Century Fox)

BEST COMEDIC PERFORMANCE
Owen Wilson - "Wedding Crashers" (New Line Cinema)
Adam Sandler - "The Longest Yard" (Paramount Pictures)
Steve Carell - "The 40-Year Old Virgin" (Universal Pictures)
Tyler Perry -- "Tyler Perry's Madea's Family Reunion" (Lions Gate Films)
Vince Vaughn - "Wedding Crashers" (New Line Cinema)

BEST ON-SCREEN TEAM
Steve Carell, Paul Rudd, Seth Rogen & Romany Malco -- "The 40-Year Old Virgin" (Universal Pictures)
Johnny Knoxville, Seann William Scott & Jessica Simpson -- "The Dukes of Hazzard" (Warner Bros. Pictures)
Jessica Alba, Ioan Gruffudd, Chris Evans & Michael Chiklis -- "Fantastic Four" (20th Century Fox)
Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson & Rupert Grint -- "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" (Warner Bros. Pictures)
Vince Vaughn & Owen Wilson -- "Wedding Crashers" (New Line Cinema)

BEST VILLAIN
Cillian Murphy -- "Batman Begins" (Warner Bros. Pictures)
Hayden Christensen -- "Star Wars: Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith" (20th Century Fox)
Ralph Fiennes -- "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" (Warner Bros. Pictures)
Tilda Swinton -- "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" (Disney Pictures)
Tobin Bell -- "Saw II" (Lions Gate Films)

BREAKTHROUGH PERFORMANCE
Andre "3000" Benjamin -- "Four Brothers" (Paramount Pictures)
Isla Fisher -- "Wedding Crashers" (New Line Cinema)
Nelly -- "The Longest Yard" (Paramount Pictures)
Jennifer Carpenter -- "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" (Screen Gems)
Romany Malco -- "The 40-Year Old Virgin" (Universal Pictures)
Taraji P. Henson -- "Hustle & Flow" (Paramount Classics)

BEST HERO
Christian Bale -- "Batman Begins" (Warner Bros. Pictures)
Jessica Alba -- "Fantastic Four" (20th Century Fox)
Daniel Radcliffe -- "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" (Warner Bros. Pictures)
Kate Beckinsale -- "Underworld: Evolution" (Screen Gems)
Ewan McGregor -- "Star Wars: Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith" (20th Century Fox)

SEXIEST PERFORMANCE
Beyoné Knowles -- "The Pink Panther" (Sony Pictures)
Jessica Alba -- "Sin City" (Dimension Films)
Jessica Simpson -- "The Dukes of Hazzard" (Warner Bros. Pictures)
Ziyi Zhang -- "Memoirs of a Geisha" (Sony Pictures)
Rob Schneider -- "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo" (Sony Pictures)

BEST FIGHT
Kong vs. the Planes -- "King Kong" (Universal Pictures)
Stephen Chow vs. Axe Gang -- "Kung Fu Hustle" (Sony Pictures Classics)
Angelina Jolie vs. Brad Pitt -- "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" (20th Century Fox)
Ewan McGregor vs. Hayden Christensen -- "Star Wars: Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith" (20th Century Fox)

BEST KISS
Jake Gyllenhaal & Heath Ledger -- "Brokeback Mountain" (Focus Features)
Taraji P. Henson & Terrence Howard -- "Hustle & Flow" (Paramount Classics)
Anna Faris & Chris Marquette -- "Just Friends" (New Line Cinema)
Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt -- "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" (20th Century Fox)
Rosario Dawson & Clive Owen -- "Sin City" (Dimension Films)

BEST FRIGHTENED PERFORMANCE
Rachel Nichols - "The Amityville Horror" (MGM)
Jennifer Carpenter -- "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" (Screen Gems)
Derek Richardson -- "Hostel" (Lions Gate Films)
Paris Hilton -- "House of Wax" (Warner Bros. Pictures)
Dakota Fanning -- "War of the Worlds" (Paramount Pictures)
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

haha, the only categories where females dominate are in Sexiest performance and Best Frightened performance. gotta love that.
under the paving stones.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: MacGuffin on April 24, 2006, 11:16:42 AM

"Crash," the Academy Awards best-picture winner, didn't receive a nomination.

For once, the youth's disinterest in social issues pays off.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

The fact that Crash wasn't nominated doesn't mean anything.  If it were nominated, it'd probably win.  The only reason it's lacking is because they're trying to make an Anti-Oscars.  Granted, the Xixax awards were kind of like that, but this is more like the Nickelodeon Kid's Choice awards (well, they are the same network).  They're voting for movies like House of Wax, Four Brothers, The Longest Yard, The Fantastic Four, and Dukes of Hazard.  Not only that, but films 40 Year Old Virgin and Wedding Crashers are up for Best Movie.  Granted, I didn't find them funny, but a lot of people enjoyed them, so maybe best Comedic Performance or make up some stupid award like Best Kiss and make a new Best One Liner, I don't know... but there's no way they could be the best of last year.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Kal

Paris Hilton is nominated... except we are talking about the Bimbo Hooker Awards she shouldnt be nominated for anything. Thats all.

modage

on the whole i enjoyed their best picture nominees more than ours.  actually to be honest, i even agreed with the fake xixax nominations more than the real ones.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Derek237

This list reminds me. Whatever happened to the breakthrough/newcomer awards? The Golden Globes used to have them, marking the only award Arnold Scwarzenegger would ever ever win for acting, and I think Brad Dourif got one for Cuckoo's Nest. Amy Adams certainly would have won one if the category still existed. Xixax should make that category for next year, I think.

polkablues

Quote from: Pubrick on April 24, 2006, 11:59:15 AM
haha, the only categories were females dominate are in Sexiest performance and Best Frightenered performance. gotta love that.

Even Best Kiss has a 60/40 male-to-female ratio.
My house, my rules, my coffee

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: modage on April 24, 2006, 05:19:58 PM
on the whole i enjoyed their best picture nominees more than ours.  actually to be honest, i even agreed with the fake xixax nominations more than the real ones.

You're weird.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Jessica Alba Tapped To Host MTV Movie Awards; Leather Chaps Not Yet Confirmed
Thrice-nominated star of 'Sin City,' 'Fantastic Four' to MC irreverent bash. 

She might not show up in fringed leather chaps and a diamond-studded bra, but Jessica Alba's newest leading-lady role still seems destined to be fantastic.

The "Fantastic Four" and "Sin City" star has signed on to host the 2006 MTV Movie Awards, ending speculation over who will MC the proudly irreverent annual bash. The program will air Thursday, June 8, at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

"The MTV Movie Awards is like a three-ring circus, and I'm thrilled they asked me to be this year's ringmaster," the actress said.

Alba — who has starred in three movies since last year's awards — might want to bring a stunt-double along to help out with her new gig. The actress has already been announced as a nominee for "Fantastic Four" (Best Hero and a member of Best On-Screen Team) and "Sin City" (Sexiest Performance), creating the very real possibility that she'll be yielding the podium to someone who looks suspiciously like her. If so, it would be the first golden-popcorn award for Alba, who recently celebrated her 25th birthday.

Taking a break from the currently in-development sequels to both "Fantastic" and "Sin," Alba will oversee an anarchic list of nominees led by the likes of Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson (one Best Comedic Performance nom each and a Best On-Screen Team nod for "Wedding Crashers"), as well as Steve Carell (Best Performance and Best Comedic Performance) and his "40-Year-Old-Virgin" improv veterans (Best On-Screen Team).

Alba, however, might be secretly rooting for 25-year-old heartthrob Hayden Christensen, nominated twice for "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith" (Best Fight and Best Villain). He and Alba recently wrapped filming the psychological thriller "Awake," which is due in theaters in early 2007. (Another member of the "Awake" cast, "Hustle & Flow" star Terrence Howard, is nominated for Best Kiss and Best Performance.)

Featuring new categories of Best Hero, Sexiest Performance and the mtvU Student Filmmaker Award, this year's show is taking place at Sony Pictures Studios in Culver City, California. Fans are invited to vote for their favorites by visiting movieawards.mtv.com before May 19 and voting from their mobile phones by texting "MOVIEAWARDS" to 91757 to receive a ballot. A third option is available by dialing toll-free 1-877-MTV-VOTE, where a different category is available for your vote each day.

The 2006 MTV Movie Awards will be seen in 171 countries and territories in 23 languages and more than 470 million households.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

hedwig

MacGuffin

Q&A: Alba Wants to Be Funny at MTV Awards

Jessica Alba, ubiquitous in magazine "sexy" polls, hopes to show fans a different side of herself when she hosts the MTV Movie Awards this week.

The 25-year-old actress intends to be funny at the awards show, which will take place Saturday night at Sony Picture Studios in Culver City, Calif. and air June 8 (9 p.m. EDT).

Comedy is the show's theme, with "The 40 Year-Old Virgin" and "Wedding Crashers" leading the nominees with five each.

Alba will perform Billy Crystal-style parodies of the big films of the past year. Exactly which movies she won't say, but one can suspect a more appealing version of "Brokeback Mountain."

Aside from hosting, she is also nominated for three golden popcorn trophies sexiest performance for "Sin City" and best hero and best on-screen team with Michael Chiklis, Chris Evans and Ioan Gruffudd for "Fantastic Four."

Promotions for the MTV Movie Awards have already begun showcasing less-known aspects of Alba that she plays golf, does Tao Bo and loves to cook.

In a recent interview, Alba frequently confined to the two-dimensional world of comic-book movies says she's looking forward to the freedom of the open stage.

AP: As you prepare, are you adapting to the role of awards-show host?

Alba: It's going to be different than the normal MTV Awards. I don't think it really feels like you're watching an awards show. Me being involved and being an actor, not really a comedian but I'm doing comedic stuff I think it just makes it feel a little different. I'm not a TV personality. I guess it's more sort of the way when Lindsay Lohan did it.

AP: Do you think this will give people a better perspective of your personality?

Alba: Yeah! I'm totally excited! Because usually I get hired for movies and I can't write them, and I have to say what's already there. This just allows me to have a little bit of input in what I'm doing and show a goofier side and to play. I am an actress because I like to play. Usually I get to play in more serious roles, but this is fun to do something that's completely crazy and wild.

AP: How many outfit changes will you get in?

Alba: Probably four or five. I'm not ridiculous and I'm not a diva. And I really don't like fitting. Clothes are nice, but to be honest, jeans and T-shirts and boots or sneakers, I'm good to go. Dressing up is fun, but after four changes, I get exhausted.

AP: You played a dancer in "Honey," so will you be shaking a leg at the MTV Awards?

Alba: I don't think so. I offered that up. I said it would be funny if I was hidden as a back-up dancer, but doing it really bad because I'm not a real dancer. But I think it would distract from the performer.

AP: What can you tell us about the surprises we can expect without giving anything away?

Alba: I can't give away any of them! (Except for) the lineup of all the celebrities that are going to be there.

AP: That's such a cop out.

Alba: To me the thing that makes the Movie Awards so interesting is the fact that fans get to vote. So nobody knows who the winners are going to be.

AP: Is there any magazine poll of "sexiest" or "best girlfriend material" that you haven't topped?

Alba: (Laughs) You know I don't really keep track of that kind of stuff. I'm usually like, "Oh, that's nice." I'm always the last to find those kinds of things out, but I'm really, truly grateful that people show up to the movies that I'm in and tune in to the stuff I'm on.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Jim Carrey And Spike Lee Scoring Big Honors At MTV Movie Awards
Sandra Bullock, Keanu Reeves, Rosario Dawson and Zach Braff added as presenters.

On Saturday, Jim Carrey will officially join the MTV generation and director Spike Lee will be given a bucket of honor. The Golden Globe-winning actor and Academy Award-nominated director will be presented with special prizes during 2006's MTV Movie Awards, which air June 8 on MTV.

Carrey, best known for starring roles in such films as "The Mask," "The Truman Show" and "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective," is being honored with the MTV Generation Award for his work in keeping the MTV audience entertained with years of memorable movie performances. Tom Cruise was the first recipient of the MTV Generation Award during last year's Movie Awards ceremony.

Director Spike Lee ("Inside Man," "Malcolm X") will receive the Silver Bucket of Excellence Award for his powerful and thought-provoking 1989 film "Do the Right Thing." The award honors films that have left an indelible imprint on moviegoers and MTV's audience. "The Breakfast Club" took Silver Bucket honors at last year's event.

The 2006 MTV Movie Awards will be hosted by Jessica Alba, and will feature performances by Christina Aguilera, AFI and Gnarls Barkley. Sandra Bullock, Keanu Reeves, Eva Mendes, Zach Braff, Rosario Dawson and Anna Faris were added Thursday to the growing list of presenters who'll grace the stage during this year's ceremony. Sacha Baron Cohen will also be on hand as a Movie Awards presenter, as Borat Sagdiyev, one of the characters he plays on his "Da Ali G Show."

This new crop joins previously announced presenters Colin Farrell, Jessica Simpson, Kevin Spacey, Samuel L. Jackson, Amanda Bynes, Dane Cook, Kate Beckinsale, Jamie Foxx, Owen Wilson, Justin Timberlake, Matt Dillon, Will Ferrell, T.I., Kate Hudson, Ludacris, Rebecca Romijn, Kate Bosworth, Famke Janssen, John C. Reilly, and Brandon Routh.

Rihanna and Fall Out Boy's Pete Wentz will host the MTV Movie Awards pre-show, which kicks things off June 8 at 8:30 p.m. on MTV. The pre-show will also feature exclusive sneak peeks at "Miami Vice," "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" and "Superman Returns." Fans will also be treated to an exclusive first look at "Clerks II" on MTV's broadband channel, Overdrive.

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: MacGuffin on June 01, 2006, 05:51:57 PM
Carrey, best known for starring roles in such films as "The Mask," "The Truman Show" and "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective," is being honored with the MTV Generation Award for his work in keeping the MTV audience entertained with years of memorable movie performances. Tom Cruise was the first recipient of the MTV Generation Award during last year's Movie Awards ceremony.

2007 MTV Generation Award Recipient: Will Smith

2008: Ben Stiller

2009: Adam Sandler

You heard it here first.