2006 Golden Globes

Started by Kal, December 13, 2005, 08:34:01 AM

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Fernando on December 14, 2005, 10:10:19 AM
I just realized that Malick's The New World is absent, not a single nod.  :yabbse-sad: :yabbse-undecided: :yabbse-angry:

They shafted Thin Red Line as well.

Find Your Magali

Quote from: Losing the Horse: on December 14, 2005, 02:25:56 AM
  Then, in fact, it might even do something good, in that Giamatti might walk away with an award.  That's fucking cause for celebration as far as I'm concerned.

I hope you're right, but my prediction is that Giamatti gets screwed again and doesn't even get nominated. .......... Best Supporting Actor is a brutally tough category and it's looking like Clooney's award to lose for Syriana.

©brad

these are pretty solid, i don't know what y'all are fussin' about.

glad to see constant gardner get some recognition-- was my fav this year.

dying to see match point, bareback, and munich.

and fyi-- Weeds is a great show are mary louise is hot.

ddmarfield

I was surprised by all the attention paid to The Constant Gardener. I haven't seen it and don't have anything against seeing it, but it seemed that it came and went without much hoopla from either critics or audiences.
"The girls around here all look like Cadillacs" -- Tom Waits

soixante

My Golden Globe picks:

Best Film (Drama):  Brokeback Mountain
Best Film (Musical/Comedy):  Walk the Line
Best Actor (Drama):  Heath Ledger
Best Actress (Drama):  Felicity Huffman
Best Actor (Musical/Comedy):  Joaquin Phoenix
Best Actress (Musical/Comedy):  Reese Witherspoon
Best Supporting Actor:  George Clooney (weight gain = awards)
Best Supporting Actress:  Michelle Williams
Best Director:  Ang Lee
Best Script:  Brokeback Mountain

Music is your best entertainment value.

modage

assuming thats a predictions and not neccesarily hopes, right?  bytheway, thats nearly identical to EW's picks too.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

soixante

Yup, these are predictions, not hopes.

I'd love to see Hoffman win.  I think the Best Actor (drama) race is very tight, between Hoffman and Ledger.  I give the edge to Ledger, because I think Brokeback is going to win a lot of awards -- and the coattails of Brokeback will bring Michelle Williams along for the ride.  Also, Ledger has won some critics awards, too.

I think Clooney will win because he's up for so many awards, he has to win something, and this is the most likely category.  He gained weight for his character in Syriana and plays against type.  Plus, he's made two politically relevant films, so he gets brownie points for doing serious films.

Ang Lee won the DGA award for Crouching Tiger, and he has displayed his versatility with Sense & Sensibility, Ice Storm, Hulk and Brokeback Mountain.

I think Brokeback will win Best Film (and Best Picture at the Oscars) because it has become something a cultural phenomenon, and has aroused controversy (like Million Dollar Baby last year).  In addition, critics and audiences seem to love it.

I think Phoenix and Witherspoon are overdue in receiving awards.  Witherspoon should have received an Oscar nod for Election.

Music is your best entertainment value.

Kal

Yeah... so happy about Philip Seymour Hoffman!!!

Find Your Magali

Golden Globes for Felicity Huffman and Philip Seymour Hoffman.  :bravo:

Magnolia-riffic!!!!!!!!

Congratulations to those two. That's awesome.

Kal

and other than those... good for Steve Carrell (and his speech), Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon, and Lost winning Best TV Drama!

MacGuffin

Complete List of Golden Globe Winners

MOTION PICTURES

Picture, Drama: "Brokeback Mountain"

Actress, Drama: Felicity Huffman, "Transamerica"

Actor, Drama: Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Capote"

Picture, Musical or Comedy: "Walk the Line"

Actress, Musical or Comedy: Reese Witherspoon, "Walk the Line"

Actor, Musical or Comedy: Joaquin Phoenix, "Walk the Line"

Supporting Actress: Rachel Weisz, "The Constant Gardener"

Supporting Actor: George Clooney, "Syriana"

Director: Ang Lee, "Brokeback Mountain"

Screenplay: Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana, "Brokeback Mountain"

Foreign Language: "Paradise Now," Palestine

Original Score: John Williams, "Memoirs of a Geisha"

Original Song: "A Love That Will Never Grow Old" from "Brokeback Mountain"

TELEVISION

Series, Drama: "Lost," ABC

Actress, Drama: Geena Davis, "Commander in Chief," ABC

Actor, Drama: Hugh Laurie, "House," Fox

Series, Musical or Comedy: "Desperate Housewives," ABC

Actress, Musical or Comedy: Mary-Louise Parker, "Weeds," Showtime

Actor, Musical or Comedy: Steve Carell, "The Office," NBC

Miniseries or movie: "Empire Falls," HBO

Actress, Miniseries or Movie: S. Epatha Merkerson, "Lackawanna Blues," HBO

Actor, Miniseries or Movie: Jonathan Rhys-Meyers, "Elvis," CBS

Supporting Actress, Series, Miniseries or Movie: Sandra Oh, "Grey's Anatomy," ABC

Supporting Actor, Series, Miniseries or Movie: Paul Newman, "Empire Falls," HBO

Cecil B. DeMille Award: Anthony Hopkins
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

killafilm

Fernando

Quote from: Pubrick on December 13, 2005, 06:55:16 PM
most ridiculous category: BEST ACTRESS, TV MUSICAL OR COMEDY. i've never seen Weeds but i hope mary-louise parker wins, that would be funny.

Quote from: MacGuffin on January 17, 2006, 01:04:07 AM
Complete List of Golden Globe Winners

Actress, Musical or Comedy: Mary-Louise Parker, "Weeds," Showtime

Hahaha, I enjoyed that so much.

Pubrick

started out great and got less funny towards the end. for a while it was like all the winners were comedians. i didn't even watch it last year, or care about the winners, but last nite was an especially slow nite for television so i tuned in.

highlights:
-mary louise parker winning
-geena davis' speech, funniest of the nite.
-rachel weisz and darren aronofsky (best shout out)
-michelle williams and scarlett johansson (best cutaways)

wtf moments:
-john travolta's random comment before he announced best actor comedy/musical "you men hav all raised the bar.. all you MEN" or some crazy travolta shit like that. WTF?

-james mangold not getting ANY screen time even tho he was name dropped and pointed to a million times. would it hav killed them to flip a camera around?

-fernando meirelles. i think i'm the only one who first thought he was a young black brazillian, then was SHOCKED to find he's 50 or whatever, and then i was blown away when i realised he's a white dude. this'll teach me to do my research.. it makes his movies all the more impressive.

-ryan phillippe, douche bag of the nite. hey dude just cos u think Crash was your "comeback" doesn't mean u should try to get everyone's attention by being overzealous about everything. "pay up???" yeah like joaquin wasn't the most predictable winner of the whole nite. i was embarrassed for reese.

-mispronunciation of names. so invalidating, go home jamie foxx.

-OH the most hilarious thing, matthew mcconaughey not being able to say Joyeux Noël in the foreign film category, and sarah jessica parker taking over so then he just says all the english titles. hahah. go home matthew who.
under the paving stones.

Gamblour.

Another embarrassing moment: Dennis Quaid on Brokeback Mountain..."Let's just say, it rhymes with Chick Flick." Wow, classy.

Paradise Now winning was awesome. Ryan Phillipe was lame.
WWPTAD?