2006 Golden Globes

Started by Kal, December 13, 2005, 08:34:01 AM

Kal

GOLDEN GLOBE NOMINEES!

BEVERLY HILLS, California (AP) -- The cowboy romance "Brokeback Mountain" led Golden Globe contenders Tuesday with seven nominations, among them best dramatic picture and honors for actors Heath Ledger and Michelle Williams and director Ang Lee, positioning itself as a key Academy Awards competitor.

Other best drama picture contenders were the murder thriller "The Constant Gardener," the Edward R. Murrow tale "Good Night, and Good Luck," the mobster story "A History of Violence," and the infidelity drama "Match Point."

The Globes have a separate category for musical or comedy films. Nominated there were the theater tale "Mrs. Henderson Presents," the Jane Austen costume pageant "Pride & Prejudice," the Broadway musical "The Producers," the divorce story "The Squid and the Whale," and the Johnny Cash film biography "Walk the Line."

The Globes were the latest recognition for "Brokeback Mountain," a critical darling that has received top honors from critics groups in New York, Los Angeles and Boston.

Along with Ledger, who plays a family man concealing a homosexual affair from his family, best dramatic actor nominees included three actors playing real-life figures: Russell Crowe as Depression-era boxer Jim Braddock in "Cinderella Man," Philip Seymour Hoffman as author Truman Capote in "Capote," and David Strathairn as newsman Murrow in "Good Night, and Good Luck." The fifth nominee was Terrence Howard as a small-time pimp-turned-rap singer in "Hustle & Flow."

Felicity Huffman received two nominations, best dramatic actress in a film for her role as a man preparing for sex-change surgery in "Transamerica" and best actress in a TV musical or comedy for "Desperate Housewives." Her "Desperate Housewives" co-stars Marcia Cross, Teri Hatcher and Eva Longoria also were nominated.

Other best dramatic film actress nominees were Maria Bello as a wife learning painful secrets about her husband in "A History of Violence," Gwyneth Paltrow as an unstable math genius' daughter in "Proof," Charlize Theron as a woman leading a sexual harassment lawsuit in "North Country" and Ziyi Zhang as a poor girl who becomes the belle of Japan's geisha houses in "Memoirs of a Geisha."

Two years ago, the Golden Globes correctly predicted winners in all key categories, including best-picture champ "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" and actors Sean Penn, Charlize Theron, Tim Robbins and Renee Zellweger.

Yet a year ago, the Globes missed the mark, picking "The Aviator" as best picture, an honor that went to "Million Dollar Baby" at the Oscars. Jamie Foxx and Hilary Swank won lead-acting Globes and went on to earn Oscars, but Globe voters chose Clive Owen and Natalie Portman of "Closer" for the supporting-actor honors, which were won at the Oscars by Morgan Freeman for "Million Dollar Baby" and Cate Blanchett for "The Aviator."

The Globes are handed out by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, a relatively small group of about 90 reporters for overseas news outlets. Yet with a nationally televised awards ceremony on NBC and a historically solid knack for picking eventual Academy Award winners, the Globes wield a fair amount of sway among the 5,800 Oscar voters.

Winners of the Golden Globes will be announced Jan. 16, five days before polls close for Oscar voters. Oscar nominations come out Jan. 31, and the awards will be presented March 5.

The Globes feature 13 categories for film and 11 for television. Unlike other major movie awards, the Globes have separate divisions for dramas and comedies or musicals in the best-picture and lead-acting categories.

Anthony Hopkins will receive the group's Cecil B. DeMille Award for lifetime achievement.

MacGuffin

Full List:

Winners will be announced Jan. 16, 2006.

MOTION PICTURE CATEGORIES

DRAMATIC PICTURE
"Brokeback Mountain"
"The Constant Gardener"
"Good Night, and Good Luck"
"A History of Violence"
"Match Point"

MUSICAL OR COMEDY PICTURE
"Mrs. Henderson Presents"
"Pride & Prejudice"
"The Producers"
"The Squid and the Whale"
"Walk the Line."

FOREIGN LANGUAGE PICTURE
"Kung Fu Hustle" (China)
"Master of Crimson Armor" (China)
"Merry Christmas" (France)
"Paradise Now" (Palestine)
"Tsotsi" (South Africa)

BEST DIRECTOR
George Clooney, "Good Night, and Good Luck"
Ang Lee, "Brokeback Mountain"
Woody Allen, "Match Point"
Peter Jackson, "King Kong"
Fernando Meirelles, "The Constant Gardener"
Steven Spielberg, "Munich"

BEST DRAMATIC ACTOR
Heath Ledger, "Brokeback Mountain"
Russell Crowe, "Cinderella Man"
Terrence Howard, "Hustle & Flow"
Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Capote"
David Strathairn, "Good Night, and Good Luck"

BEST DRAMATIC ACTRESS
Felicity Huffman, "Transamerica"
Maria Bello, "A History of Violence"
Gwyneth Paltrow, "Proof"
Charlize Theron, "North Country"
Ziyi Zhang, "Memoirs of a Geisha"

BEST ACTOR, COMEDY OR MUSICAL
Pierce Brosnan, "The Matador"
Jeff Daniels, "The Squid and the Whale"
Johnny Depp, "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"
Nathan Lane, "The Producers"
Cillian Murphy, "Breakfast on Pluto"
Joaquin Phoenix, "Walk the Line"

BEST ACTRESS, COMEDY OR MUSICAL
Judi Dench, "Mrs. Henderson Presents"
Keira Knightley, "Pride & Prejudice"
Laura Linney, "The Squid and the Whale"
Sarah Jessica Parker, "The Family Stone"
Reese Witherspoon, "Walk the Line"

SUPPORTING DRAMATIC ACTOR
George Clooney, "Syriana"
Matt Dillon, "Crash"
Will Ferrell, "The Producers
Paul Giamatti, "Cinderella Man"
Bob Hoskins, "Mrs. Henderson Presents

SUPPORTING DRAMATIC ACTRESS
Scarlett Johansson, "Match Point"
Shirley MacLaine, "In Her Shoes"
Frances McDormand, "North Country"
Rachel Weisz, "The Constant Gardener"
Michelle Williams, "Brokeback Mountain"

SCREENPLAY
Woody Allen, "Match Point"
George Clooney and Grant Heslov, "Good Night, and Good Luck"
Paul Haggis and Bobby Moresco, "Crash"
Tony Kushner and Eric Roth, "Munich"
Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana, "Brokeback Mountain"

ORIGINAL SCORE
Alexandre Desplat, "Syriana"
James Newton Howard, "King Kong"
Gustavo Santaolalla, "Brokeback Mountain"
Harry Gregson, "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe"
John Williams, "Memoirs of a Geisha"

SONG
"A Love That Will Never Grow Old" from "Brokeback Mountain," music by Gustavo Santaolalla, lyrics by Bernie Taupin
"Christmas in Love" from "Christmas in Love," music by Tony Renis, lyrics by Marva Jan Marrow
"There's Nothing Like a Show on Broadway" from "The Producers," music and lyrics by Mel Brooks
"Travelin' Thru" from "Transamerica," music and lyrics by Dolly Parton
"Wunderkind" from "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe," music and lyrics by Alanis Morissette

TELEVISION CATEGORIES

DRAMATIC TV SERIES
"Commander in Chief"
"Grey's Anatomy"
"Lost"
"Prison Break"
'Rome"

BEST ACTOR, TV DRAMA
Patrick Dempsey, "Grey's Anatomy"
Matthew Fox, "Lost"
Hugh Laurie, "House"
Wentworth Miller, "Prison Break"
Kiefer Sutherland, "24"

BEST ACTRESS, TV DRAMA
Patricia Arquette, "Medium"
Glenn Close, "The Shield"
Geena Davis, "Commander in Chief"
Kyra Sedgwick, "The Closer"
"Polly Walker, "Rome"

TV SERIES, MUSICAL OR COMEDY
"Curb Your Enthusiasm"
"Desperate Housewives"
"Entourage"
"Everybody Hates Chris"
"My Name is Earl"
"Weeds"

BEST ACTOR, TV MUSICAL OR COMEDY
Zach Braff, "Scrubs
Steve Carell, "The Office
Larry David, "Curb Your Enthusiasm
Jason Lee, "My Name is Earl
Charlie Sheen, "Two and a Half Men

BEST ACTRESS, TV MUSICAL OR COMEDY
Marcia Cross, "Desperate Housewives"
Teri Hatcher, "Desperate Housewives"
Felicity Huffman, "Desperate Housewives"
Eva Longoria, "Desperate Housewives"
Mary-Louise Parker, "Weeds"

BEST MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
"Empire Falls"
"Into the West"
"Lackawanna Blues"
"Sleeper Cell"
"Viva Blackpool"
"Warm Springs"

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A MINI-SERIES OR A MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
Halle Berry, "Their Eyes Were Watching God"
Kelly MacDonald, "The Girl in the Café"
S. Epatha Merkerson, "Lackawanna Blues"
Cynthia Nixon, "Warm Springs
Mira Sorvino, "Human Trafficking

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A MINI-SERIES OR A MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
Kenneth Branagh, "Warm Springs"
Ed Harris, "Empire Falls"
Jonathan Rhys Meyers, "Elvis"
Billy Nighy, "The Girl in the Café"
Donald Sutherland, "Human Trafficking"

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A SERIES, MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
Candice Bergen, "Boston Legal"
Camryn Manheim, "Elvis"
Sandra Oh, "Grey's Anatomy"
Elizabeth Perkins, "Weeds"
Joanne Woodward, "Empire Falls"

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A SERIES, MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
Naveen Andrews, "Lost"
Paul Newman, "Empire Falls"
Jeremy Piven, "Entourage"
Randy Quaid, "Elvis"
Donald Sutherland, "Commander in Chief"

CECIL B. DEMILLE LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
Anthony Hopkins
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cowboykurtis

capote should have gotten a nod - definately over history of violence
...your excuses are your own...

Pubrick

most ridiculous category: BEST ACTRESS, TV MUSICAL OR COMEDY. i've never seen Weeds but i hope mary-louise parker wins, that would be funny.

every other award should go to michelle williams.
under the paving stones.

Kal

Golden Globe = Foreign Fags

How can Brokeback Mountain have so many nominations and not Kong or Munic? Damn even Star Wars had to had something!

A History of Violence is good... whatever... but it has NOTHING special come on... be objective!

We here watch thousands of movies a year and we can definetly tell its not comparable to a movie like King Kong, or to go more in that level, Pulp Fiction!

This sucks... and I bet this year it will be very different at the GG than the Oscars

Astrostic

no offense andyk, but you are coming off as not a very pleasant or smart fellow.

JG

brokeback mountain is getting so much attention.  now i have to see it. 

Find Your Magali

These nominations are bad news for Munich and King Kong. ... Almost every Oscar winner for best picture has at least been nominated for best picture in one of the Globes' two categories.

The good news is that Heath Ledger is shaping up as the only serious competition for PSH for Best Actor, and while I think Brokeback will do well at the Oscar, I can't see it carrying Ledger to a win over PSH.

If PSH and Huffman win Oscars, the night will have a nice Magnolia-tinged feel to it.

Gamblour.

Quote from: Astrostic on December 13, 2005, 07:54:55 PM
no offense andyk, but you are coming off as not a very pleasant or smart fellow.

haha best newb ever.
WWPTAD?

Pubrick

Quote from: Find Your Magali on December 13, 2005, 08:43:04 PM
The good news is that Heath Ledger is shaping up as the only serious competition for PSH for Best Actor, and while I think Brokeback will do well at the Oscar, I can't see it carrying Ledger to a win over PSH.
i think strathairn has a chance, and eric bana for the oscar after munich comes out.
under the paving stones.

Kal

Quote from: Gamblour on December 13, 2005, 10:44:46 PM

haha best newb ever.

I never said I was smart.

But somehow... Im right so many times that I must be doing something well.

hedwig

Quote from: andyk on December 13, 2005, 11:01:11 PM
Quote from: Gamblour on December 13, 2005, 10:44:46 PM

haha best newb ever.

I never said I was smart.

But somehow... Im right so many times that I must be doing something well.

back to Awards talk:

Quote from: Pubrick on December 13, 2005, 10:51:52 PM
Quote from: Find Your Magali on December 13, 2005, 08:43:04 PM
i think strathairn has a chance
definitely.. and that performance is certainly worthy, though i'm sure PSH's is too.

oh well, either choice would warm the cockles of my heart.

w/o horse

I think you guys are being a wee bit tough (those being tough) on a year in which a Ron Howard film came out and will not win anything significant.  Then, in fact, it might even do something good, in that Giamatti might walk away with an award.  That's fucking cause for celebration as far as I'm concerned.

While a small film will win only to fade away over years and become another Driving Miss Daisy or Shakespeare in Love, hell, at least it ain't gonna be some bloated picture like Rain Man or American Beauty, you know.  I'm trying to not kick a horse in the mouth here, I think the year was quiet but respectable, weak but not hurtful.  I mean it's not going to spawn a year of clones you know.  We'll get 'em next year.  We'll have to damnit.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Fernando

I just realized that Malick's The New World is absent, not a single nod.  :yabbse-sad: :yabbse-undecided: :yabbse-angry:

Pubrick

under the paving stones.