2005 Golden Globes

Started by MacGuffin, November 09, 2004, 05:06:00 PM

Fernando

Quote from: MacGuffinThe Hollywood Foreign Press Association, which on Jan. 16 hands out the Golden Globes...

Will anybody watch this? I will, and I'm not ashamed.

Nominations can be found on the first page.

MacGuffin

Quote from: FernandoWill anybody watch this? I will, and I'm not ashamed.

I will, and I'm not either.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

ono

Well, it's official.  Hollywood (Foreign Press) is just as vapid as the movies they honor.  Closer sweeps Supporting Actor awards, Clive Owens and Natalie Portman win.  While I can't deny the performances were decent, I hope this isn't a trend tonight.

Jeremy Blackman

When they put Clint Eastwood's daughter on stage to display her for 3 seconds... Yeah, what was that?

I hope the Oscars have a moment that surreal.

ono

Haha, talk about surreal - Will Ferrell wearing an eyepatch AND glasses to present the Best Actress award.  Classic!  Downside - Kate Winslet didn't win, Annette Bening did.  Grr.

EDIT: Now I wasn't too thrilled that Fox won Best Actor, but that was one great acceptance speech.  Robin Williams was good, too, but that's always to be expected.

©brad

i thought this year's oscar jr. show overall was pretty fantastic. (and yes i have been drinking)

some highlights to note:

meryl streep ("congratulations natalie") HAHAHAH
jaime foxx and his speech
robin williams and his speech
leo winning
aviator winning

some downlights to note:

how many times must we hear "thank you hollywood foreign press"
no name actors with the longest speeches
desperate housewives (uhrgggghh)
bill clinton cameo (huh?)
eternal sunshine not getting a damn thing (when it should have won best screenplay and best supporting actress in my humble opinion)

that is all.

modage

eternal sunshine is too weird, it doesnt have a snowflakes chance in hell at any oscar other than screenplay which it will probably lose to sideways which is still 'edgy' enough to be cool enough for that category but not so weird.  i wish it won though too.  :(

desperate housewives winning over arrested development pissed me off, but was to be expected.  they're this years 'queer eye'.

edit: sideways will win adapted, so eternal sunshine still has a chance at original screenplay.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Myxo

I think Sideways has a far better and more honest script than Eternal Sunshine did.

There is something very pretentious about Eternal Sunshine that I never could quite put my finger on but I felt was there the whole time. It was like watching Donnie Darko. I really enjoy that movie, but it does feel like Richard Kelly was working with subject matter that he really doesn't have a handle on. Same thing applies for me with Gondry's work. Of course, I own Donnie Darko and won't ever buy Eternal Sunshine, so that's saying something. I guess there was more to walk away with for me in that film than in Eternal Sunshine. That's why I loved Requiem for a Dream so much. Watching that I felt like Aronofsky did his homework and wrote about something that he understood very well. Which in his case was addiction.

Anyway!

Is this the year for Scorcese at the Oscars?

I enjoyed Sideways and Million Dollar Baby more.

cine

Quote from: MyxomatosisIs this the year for Scorsese at the Oscars?

I enjoyed Sideways and Million Dollar Baby more.
Picture: Million Dollar Baby
Actor: Foxx, Ray
Actress: Swank, Million Dollar Baby
Director: Scorsese
Writing: Sideways

That's what I see happening.. but who knows, I guess.

MacGuffin

List of Golden Globe Winners

The following is a list of winners on Sunday at the 62nd Annual Golden Globe Awards , which are given out by the 93-member Hollywood Foreign Press Association.

FILM Drama
"The Aviator"

Dramatic Actress
Hilary Swank, "Million Dollar Baby"

Dramatic Actor
Leonardo DiCaprio , "The Aviator"

FILM Musical or Comedy
"Sideways"

Musical or Comedy Actress
Annette Bening , "Being Julia"

Musical or Comedy Actor
Jamie Foxx

Foreign Language Film
"The Sea Inside," (Spain)

Supporting Actress
Natalie Portman, "Closer"

Supporting Actor
Clive Owen, "Closer"

Director
Clint Eastwood , "Million Dollar Baby"

Screenplay
Alexander Payne, Jim Taylor, "Sideways"

Original Score
Howard Shore, "The Aviator"

Original Song
"Old Habits Die Hard," "Alfie"

TELEVISION Dramatic Show
"Nip/Tuck"

Dramatic Actress
Mariska Hargitay , "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit"

Dramatic Actor
Ian McShane, "Deadwood"

Comedy Show
"Desperate Housewives"

Comedy Actress
Teri Hatcher , "Desperate Housewives"

Comedy Actor
Jason Bateman, "Arrested Development"

Mini-Series or TV Movie
"The Life and Death of Peter Sellers"

Mini-Series or TV Movie Actress
Glenn Close , "The Lion in Winter"

Mini-Series or TV Movie Actor
Geoffrey Rush, "The Life and Death of Peter Sellers"

Supporting Actress
Angelica Huston, "Iron Jawed Angels"

Supporting Actor
William Shatner, "Boston Legal"
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

foray

I don't think Natalie Portman deserved to win over the others. She's great at what she does, but not versatile. Argh nevermind.
touch me i'm sick

MacGuffin

Quote from: ©bradeternal sunshine not getting a damn thing (when it should have won best screenplay and best supporting actress in my humble opinion)

You thought Kirsten Dunst was that good?  :yabbse-wink:

Skeleton FilmWorks

brockly

Quote from: MyxomatosisI think Sideways has a far better and more honest script than Eternal Sunshine did. There is something very pretentious about Eternal Sunshine that I never could quite put my finger on but I felt was there the whole time.

It wasn't the script. the script was great. It was all Gondry. still, it lost deservingly to Sideways.

Sleuth

QuoteWill Ferrell wearing an eyepatch AND glasses to present the Best Actress award.

somebody get a cap of that pleaaaaase
I like to hug dogs