2004 MTV Movie Awards

Started by MacGuffin, April 21, 2004, 10:52:13 AM

©brad

matrix got snubbed again. how are they gonna put the bad boys car chase on there and not the arguably coolest car chase ever?

blah. what do i give a shit.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: ©bradmatrix got snubbed again. how are they gonna put the bad boys car chase on there and not the arguably coolest car chase ever?

I don't know.  I guess the logic is, "Fewer people saw Bad Boys II than Reloaded.  Therefore, fewer people thought Bad Boys II sucked than thought Reloaded did."  

I'm still trying to figure out the playa hatin' on Reloaded, I really am.

A Matter Of Chance

Quote from: El Duderinoalso: they chose The Bride's and GoGo's fight over the Crazy 88 sequence.

yeah, that surprised me

MacGuffin

The 2004 MTV Movie Award Winners!

It was a night to remember as MTV revealed the winners of the 2004 MTV Movie Awards. Host Lindsay Lohan of Mean Girls presided over the horror-themed festivities at the Sony Pictures Studios in Culver City, CA. D12 with Eminem, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and Beastie Boys gave over-the-top performances - a time-honored tradition for this star- studded event, which airs on MTV Thursday, June 10, at 9 p.m. (ET/PT).

[RESULTS SPOILERS AHEAD!]

Kill Bill Vol. 1 slayed the competition with the most wins of the night, including Uma Thurman as "Best Female Performance" and Lucy Liu as "Best Villain." Johnny Depp took home nods for "Best Male Performance" for his dynamic role as a swashbuckler in Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl. For the third consecutive year, Lord of the Rings took home "Best Movie," for its latest installment "The Return of the King". Lohan became the first Movie Awards host ever to win the coveted "golden popcorn" while hosting, as she picked up the "Breakthrough Female" award.

The winners are as follows:

BEST MOVIE
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (New Line Cinema)

BEST MALE PERFORMANCE
Johnny Depp - Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

BEST FEMALE PERFORMANCE
Uma Thurman - Kill Bill Vol. 1

BEST COMEDIC PERFORMANCE
Jack Black - School of Rock

BEST ON-SCREEN TEAM
Adam Sandler/Drew Barrymore - 50 First Dates

BEST VILLAIN
Lucy Liu - Kill Bill Vol. 1

BREAKTHROUGH MALE
Shawn Ashmore - X2: X-Men United

BREAKTHROUGH FEMALE
Lindsay Lohan - Freaky Friday

BEST KISS
Owen Wilson & Carmen Electra & Amy Smart - Starsky & Hutch

BEST ACTION SEQUENCE
Battle at Gondor - The Lord of The Rings: The Return of the King

BEST FIGHT
Uma Thurman vs. Chiaki Kuriyama - Kill Bill Vol. 1

BEST DANCE SEQUENCE
Seann William Scott - American Wedding - "Disco Dance Off"

TRANSATLANTIC BREAKTHROUGH (for MTV Europe only)
Martine McCutcheon - Love Actually

Highlights from the show included:

The opening hip-hop dance number kicked off an evening full of surprises. Lohan showed off her dance moves along with Marques Houston and Omarion from You Got Served, playing up the fact that Lohan is the youngest MTV Movie Awards host in the show's history with Andy Richter and Rachel Dratch playing her over-protective parents.

A short film "pitch meeting" featuring Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn, and Peter Jackson left the crowd in stitches, as Stiller and Vaughn tried to convince Jackson to make "Lord of the Rings 4". Interspersed throughout the show were a series of hilarious short films inspired by the upcoming Will Ferrell comedy Anchorman and Lohan's film Mean Girls. The final short film of the evening featured Andy Dick and Lohan in a campy take-off of the film Kill Bill Vol. 2.

As expected the musical performances were a heart-pounding component of the evening. The Beastie Boys were the first act to grace the stage with a hot screen video mix of their single "Ch-Check It Out." D12 with Eminem had the crowd roaring with their parody of a rock band - featuring Eminem dressed as famed Guns 'n' Roses frontman Axl Rose. In true Kill Bill fashion, D12's Bizarre dressed up as Uma Thurman's character in the film. The Yeah Yeah Yeahs performed their hit "Maps" on an incredible set, a concept by director-producer Spike Jonze.

The evening drew to a hilarious close as Kirsten Dunst appeared with Spider-Man to present the award for "Best Movie" - and Spider-Man revealed himself to be none other than Ellen DeGeneres.

In grand MTV style, the 2004 MTV Movie Awards were the end-all, be-all destination for fans of the world's biggest movie, TV, and music stars. The list of presenters included: Christina Aguilera; Kate Beckinsale; Jessica Biel; Halle Berry; Tom Cruise; Vin Diesel; Kirsten Dunst; Eve; Jimmy Fallon; Jamie Foxx; Jake Gyllenhaal; Paris Hilton; Kate Hudson; Ice Cube; Scarlett Johannson; Ashton Kutcher; Shia LaBeouf; Brittany Murphy; Thandie Newton; Matthew Perry; Queen Latifah; The Rock; Mark Ruffalo; Snoop Dogg; Sharon Stone; Marlon Wayans; and Shawn Wayans.

The 2004 MTV MOVIE AWARDS will be seen in 166 countries/territories via 42 music programming services channels, and in 18 languages in over 401.8 million households.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pwaybloe

Quote from: MacGuffinThe 2004 MTV MOVIE AWARDS will be seen in 166 countries/territories via 42 music programming services channels, and in 18 languages in over 401.8 million households.

...and shown over 5,000 times on the network throughout the course of the year.

indiana

Quote from: MacGuffin
BEST MOVIE

50 First Dates
Finding Nemo
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
X2: X-Men United

50 first dates? is this some kind of a sick joke?
peace
SONIC BOOM!

Ravi

Quote from: indiana
Quote from: MacGuffin
BEST MOVIE

50 First Dates
Finding Nemo
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
X2: X-Men United

50 first dates? is this some kind of a sick joke?
peace

This is MTV.  Vapidity is par for the course.

NEON MERCURY

i am watching the prestigious 2004 mtv vmovie awards....throughout the show and or/ after the show i will update you or give you my final thoughts on the show...

so far:

1.) when interviewing jake gyllenhaal paris hilton asked 'what is your favorite scary movie'...jake responded, evil dead ..paris then looked confused and responded...'i have never heard of that one...

more later.........

Ravi

Quote from: NEON MERCURYi am watching the prestigious 2004 mtv vmovie awards....throughout the show and or/ after the show i will update you or give you my final thoughts on the show...

so far:

1.) when interviewing jake gyllenhaal paris hilton asked 'what is your favorite scary movie'...jake responded, evil dead ..paris then looked confused and responded...'i have never heard of that one...

more later.........

It would have been funny if he said "your sex tape."

Alethia

Raikus

Completely cringe worthy.

Now that the Yeah Yeah Yeahs have performed I can stop watching it. Not even Andy Richter could save a skit. Bletch.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

©brad

first 20 mins. were good. rest suuuuucked.

uma was tall/tan/drunk.

lindsay lohan, despite her beautifulness, is not host material.

d12 performance was laughably bad.

blah.

grand theft sparrow

I can't believe no one's mentioned that Rebecca Romijn-Stamos looked like she was going to cry when Will Ferrell started making fun of her divorce.  The most clever editing in the world couldn't hide her glassy eyes.

El Duderino

it really bothered me that Lindsay Lohan won best newcomer or some shit AND hosted....the host should never win anything, or be nominated
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Slick Shoes

I agree about d12's performance. It just wasn't up to snuff.