2004 MTV Movie Awards

Started by MacGuffin, April 21, 2004, 10:52:13 AM

MacGuffin

2004 MTV Movie Award Nominations Announced!

MTV: Music Television today announced the nominees for the 2004 MTV Movie Awards. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl tops this year's nominee list with six nominations. 50 First Dates and X2: X-Men United are tied with four nominations each. The star-studded thirteenth annual awards ceremony will air on June 10th at 9PM (ET/PT). The winners will be revealed at the 2004 MTV Movie Awards, which will be taped on June 5th at Sony Picture Studios in Culver City, CA.

"Only at the MTV Movie Awards, will you see a category that pits a veterinarian vs. a samurai vs. a swashbuckling pirate," said Van Toffler, President, MTV/MTV2 and MTV Films. "In its thirteenth year, all of our nominees reflect the diverse taste of the MTV audience and this year's show will be no exception with funny films and moments."

Below are the nominations for the 2004 MTV Movie Awards:

BEST MOVIE

50 First Dates
Finding Nemo
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
X2: X-Men United

BEST MALE PERFORMANCE

Adam Sandler - 50 First Dates
Bill Murray - Lost in Translation
Johnny Depp - Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
Tom Cruise - The Last Samurai
Jim Caviezel - The Passion of The Christ

BEST FEMALE PERFORMANCE

Drew Barrymore - 50 First Dates
Queen Latifah - Bringing Down the House
Halle Berry - Gothika
Uma Thurman - Kill Bill Vol. 1
Charlize Theron - Monster

BEST COMEDIC PERFORMANCE

Jim Carrey - Bruce Almighty
Will Ferrell - Elf
Ellen DeGeneres - Finding Nemo
Johnny Depp - Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
Jack Black - School of Rock

BEST ON-SCREEN TEAM

Adam Sandler/Drew Barrymore - 50 First Dates
Will Smith/Martin Lawrence - Bad Boys II
Johnny Depp/Orlando Bloom - Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
Jack Black and the School of Rock "Band" - School of Rock
Ben Stiller/Owen Wilson - Starsky & Hutch

BEST VILLAIN

Demi Moore - Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle
Lucy Liu - Kill Bill Vol. 1
Kiefer Sutherland - Phone Booth
Geoffrey Rush - Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
Leatherface - The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

BREAKTHROUGH MALE

Ludacris - 2 Fast 2 Furious
Cillian Murphy - 28 Days Later
Shia LaBeouf - Holes
Shawn Ashmore - X2: X-Men United
Omarion - You Got Served

BREAKTHROUGH FEMALE

Lindsay Lohan - Freaky Friday
Scarlett Johansson - Lost in Translation
Keira Knightley - Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
Jessica Biel - The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Evan Rachel Wood - Thirteen

BEST KISS

Jim Carrey & Jennifer Aniston - Bruce Almighty
Keanu Reeves & Monica Bellucci - The Matrix: Reloaded
Charlize Theron & Christina Ricci - Monster
Owen Wilson & Carmen Electra & Amy Smart - Starsky & Hutch
Shawn Ashmore & Anna Paquin - X2: X-Men United

BEST ACTION SEQUENCE

Intercoastal Freeway Pursuit - Bad Boys II
Escape from Mongolia - Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle
Battle at Gondor - The Lord of The Rings: The Return of the King
Champion Crane Chase - Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

BEST FIGHT

Queen Latifah vs. Missi Pyle - Bringing Down the House
Uma Thurman vs. Chiaki Kuriyama - Kill Bill Vol. 1
Keanu Reeves vs. Hugo Weaving - The Matrix: Reloaded
The Rock vs. Kontiki Rebels - The Rundown
Hugh Jackman vs. Kelly Hu - X2: X-Men United

BEST DANCE SEQUENCE

Ben Stiller & Jennifer Aniston - Along Came Polly - "Hot Salsa Dance"
Seann William Scott - American Wedding - "Disco Dance Off"
Steve Martin - Bringing Down the House - "In da Club"
Drew Barrymore/Cameron Diaz/Lucy Liu - Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle - "Burlesque Revue"
Omarion, Marques Houston and the Lil Saints' Dance Crew - You Got Served - "The Big Bounce"
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Glad to see Christ is finally cool enough to pick up a best actor nomination for the MTV crowd.

cine

Hm, I'm actually going to tune into the awards this year. Anything with Jesus Christ against a pirate and a samurai along with two SNL alumnis is great.

A Matter Of Chance

Any awards ceremony in which "you got served" has any nominations is.... pathetic.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: MacGuffinBREAKTHROUGH MALE
Shia LaBeouf - Holes

:shock:

pete

for the first fight scene they should've nominated the first fight in X-2.
and I think The Rock fighting the pygmies should definitely win, that fight is so intense, the choreography and the executions are both sweet.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

El Duderino

i wonder who will accept for leatherface
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Kal

its so stupid how they choose this always...

whats with Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind... Kill Bill 2... Matrix Revolutions... Master and Commander... Mystic River... Big Fish... 21 Grams... The Cooler... Elf... damn there are so many movies missing and they put movies like 'You Got Served', 'Bad Boys II', 'Phone Booth'... doesnt make any fucking sense

El Duderino

well, keep in mind, it's MTV, which runs shows like "Pimp My Ride" and "I Want a Famous Face" it's all bullshit

modage

funny that out of 2 matrixes, neither had an action sequence good enough to rival charlies angels or t3.  also, whats with all the 50 first dates love?  like, nobody REALLY liked the movie that much did they?  you would think something else could've gotten those spots.  who put that movie out, and are they owned by the same corporation who owns mtv?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

El Duderino

also: they chose The Bride's and GoGo's fight over the Crazy 88 sequence.

pete

Quote from: themodernage02funny that out of 2 matrixes, neither had an action sequence good enough to rival charlies angels or t3.  also, whats with all the 50 first dates love?  like, nobody REALLY liked the movie that much did they?  you would think something else could've gotten those spots.  who put that movie out, and are they owned by the same corporation who owns mtv?

whoa, the fights in charlie's angel 2 was ATROCIOUS, badly wired and badly choreographed and executed (and I coulda sworn sometimes they just used the dudes to double them).  T3 I can't really remember.  Matrix had people who can't move, or who are as stiff as, as triumph would say "Michael Jackson in Disney World", but at least they was well-shot and well-choreographed.  They meant well.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Chest Rockwell

I'm just pleasantly surprised Bill and Scarlett were nominated.

cine

Quote from: Chest RockwellI'm just pleasantly surprised Bill and Scarlett were nominated.
:shock:  We are talking about MTV right?

Stefen

I hate in the mtv awards where some presenter or winner will give a blatant plug to their movie and try to make it non blatant "I'm not going to talk about my new movie coming out on july 20th" and then everyone laughs. It's so pathetic. Aside from the floozies, there really isn't any reason to watch any movie award show where fast and the furious wins shit. I'm suprised Lebeouf wasn't nominated for breakout female performance.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.