"but NOTHING happened!"

Started by pete, January 22, 2004, 10:17:18 AM

Chest Rockwell

Ok, pete, you're right again. I seem to be in a harsh mood today. I now apologize for any offense I give at any point in time today. And sorry Onomatopeia, the snob comment was unnecessary.

pete

well, first of all, thanks for taking in my words.  sorry about your harsh mood man, hope things look shinier for you from now on.  stay cool dude.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

ono

I guess I could be considered a snob in some ways.  But I tell ya, I like a lot more fun movies than "classics" than your average snob, that's for sure.  And you could find a lot more evidence to indict me than the fact that I prefer character over plot.  That's hardly snobby.  For me, most action movies are boring.  They are all about plot.  Formula movies are boring.  You know the type: the Hollywood stuff with the saccharin music that attempts to move you, while the character explain exactly where things are going through dialogue, and the plot is always clear.  So if I'm a snob for hating stuff like that, so be it.  But take School of Rock, for example.  That's one of my favorite movies of the year.  The plot, though, is paper-thin, but that's not even the point, because the film is bursting with great characters, and that's what makes it work so well.

Chest Rockwell

I see what you're saying, Ono. The whole idea of a 'plot' is what's confusing me. I seem to think of a plot in the traditional sense: just the simple story. So logically all movies must have plots, besides those art-to-the-max movies like "The Cure for Insomnia." Everyone else seems to consider a plot to be more complicated than I think it to be. Sorry about the comment though. I was terribly out-of-line with that. Glad you didn't take it roughly or anything. But I still say there can't be any character development (though that doesn't seem to really be what's being discussed here) without a plot to mature the characters in some way.

pete

I always thought plot differs from "story" in that plot deals with how the story unfolds (how it's "plotted") thus the term.  Either way, isn't there a very very general stereotype on how American movies are plot-driven and European movies are character driven?  American movies, like Three Kings for example--George Clooney wants one thing, sees something awful outside of his control that happens (that's a "plot point") and it forces him to act accordingly.  While a movie like Amelie, you have a girl who does things driven first by her loneliness then by her good will.
but these are very general stereotypes obviously that was bequeated to us from like 40 years ago.  I just pull it out to illustrate how plot doesn't have to drive a film.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

ProgWRX

After reading his reviews, the most ironic thing i've ever seen is this guy's URL,

http://www.moviereviewsthatdontsuck.com/rr/Lost_In_Translation-rr416989-.html

check out that review for Lost in translation, a really good (bad) example of this thread's title.
-Carlos

Ravi

Quote from: ProgWRXAfter reading his reviews, the most ironic thing i've ever seen is this guy's URL,

http://www.moviereviewsthatdontsuck.com/rr/Lost_In_Translation-rr416989-.html

check out that review for Lost in translation, a really good (bad) example of this thread's title.

I don't know whether to be amused or annoyed.

snaporaz

i thought it was wierd how he seemed to be making fun of the fact that other americans were at the hotel.

analogzombie

What can one say about that review. I have come across a lot of reviews of Lost in Translation that either miss the story in the film or seem to be aggravated and angered by said story. I don't know if anyone here is familiar witht he singer Momus (www.imomus.com) but he dislikes it b/c he views it as exploitative to japan and the indie photography music scene that rabisi is involved in. It's an insightful review but once again I think those things irrelevent. the film could have been set in Thailand, Siberia, or anywhere as long as it was alien to the main characters. There seems to be a lot of animosity surrounding smaller movies when they recieve acclaim or attention.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

SHAFTR

I don't mind bad reviews for movies I like or vice versa aslong as I can see their point.  Even when I disagree with Ebert, I see what he is saying.  This guy is a clownshoe.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"