"but NOTHING happened!"

Started by pete, January 22, 2004, 10:17:18 AM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: ewardi want to laugh but I'm not sure if i can lol
Ha! You just did.

MacGuffin

Quote from: peteOn the application she had to list her favorite movies from each genre, under independent movie she put down "indepence day."

Why are they asking about movie tastes on the application? How much is their hiring based on their choices?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

actually here in stinktown they have this indie video store called TLA with a wicked huge selection and on their application they ask fav. director and fav. films and such.  i think a big part of it is whether you get the job, because all their employees are super buffs about different types of movies, so if they stock the store with employees who all have different tastes and are really knowledgable about different stuff they have a great store.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

Sometimes I get upset if too much happens in a movie. I want more nothingness!

Man, saying that took me back to my goth days.

Alethia

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: ewardi want to laugh but I'm not sure if i can lol
Ha! You just did.

:lol:

cine

Quote from: themodernage02actually here in stinktown they have this indie video store called TLA with a wicked huge selection and on their application they ask fav. director and fav. films and such.  i think a big part of it is whether you get the job, because all their employees are super buffs about different types of movies, so if they stock the store with employees who all have different tastes and are really knowledgable about different stuff they have a great store.
That's what I like. I think I remember reading a while back about Ebert commenting about people working at videos who don't really enjoy movies too much or if they do, just the shitty ones. I can't remember what he said but I was reminded of so many people I know that are like that. I know it makes sense business-wise but I HATE how movie theatres don't give a shit about your taste in movies. Really bugs me to no end.

pete

the theater I worked at had me write a page-long essay on the six most recent movies I'd seen.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

snaporaz

Quote from: themodernage02actually here in stinktown they have this indie video store called TLA with a wicked huge selection and on their application they ask fav. director and fav. films and such.  i think a big part of it is whether you get the job, because all their employees are super buffs about different types of movies, so if they stock the store with employees who all have different tastes and are really knowledgable about different stuff they have a great store.

that's exactly the kind of store i want [and plan] to own and operate. except i'd call it "cinerama".

molly

Quote from: peteat the cinema I worked I hear this a lot, where uppity people come out of the theater complaining about how the movie was bad because "nothing happened" and then they'll be quick to call it "pretentious" and then assure me that they're cultured people who do like independent/ foreign movies like "crouching tiger hidden dragon"/ "life is beautiful"/ or (!) Bend It Like Beckham.
but what about movies where for real, nothing happened?

reply on Walrus's rant:
it's because people work on a simple rule: when you don't understand something, say it sucks - that way you'll not end up looking stupid, but the other will look stupid. In high school that is almost an epidemic - the rule is not to be the last person to say something is stupid.
In artistic circles when people don't understand sth, they say it's art, and they watch carefully not to be the last one to say that, cause it looks like they 're just saying that because somebody else already did/has.

And yes, nobody can be smarter then THEM, only Einstein, but he was so smart and look how that brains helped him - his dead now.

ono

For me, in all the best films, nothing really "happens."  They're all about the characters, and what happens is so secondary, and almost inconsequential.  That is, it's not about plot, but about character for me.  I guess this is a troubling point for some, and I've found that most people do indeed like to read stories where "stuff happens," even professors I've had who emphasize the importance of plot.

modage, where's your super-cool avatar from?

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaFor me, in all the best films, nothing really "happens."  They're all about the characters, and what happens is so secondary, and almost inconsequential.  That is, it's not about plot, but about character for me.  I guess this is a troubling point for some, and I've found that most people do indeed like to read stories where "stuff happens," even professors I've had who emphasize the importance of plot.

Are you some sort of snob?

Character developement is a major portion of a movie....but how can there be character development without any plot? The only movie that comes to mind that had almost no plot is Waking Life, and even towards the end a plot starts coming out. If you refer to a plot that has no clear motive, i might just agree. Lost in Translation just drifts from one vignette to the next and for a while it seems like we don't really know how long Bob has been in Japan, and we never really find out that for Scarlett's character. People say Big Lebowski has no plot, which I don't really understand. Maybe my definition of a 'plot' is confused.

Alethia

Quote from: Chest RockwellPeople say Big Lebowski has no plot, which I don't really understand. Maybe my definition of a 'plot' is confused.

umm no i think their definition is confused........

modage

Quote from: Onomatopoeiamodage, where's your super-cool avatar from?
its neons fav. k. dunst and mark ruffalo in eternal sunshine of the spotless mind.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

McKee says "Not Rules, Principles.  A rule says 'you must do this way'  a principle says 'this works, and has worked through all remembered time' "

greetings from Amsterdam ,btw.
context, context, context.

pete

Quote from: Chest Rockwell
Quote from: OnomatopoeiaFor me, in all the best films, nothing really "happens."  They're all about the characters, and what happens is so secondary, and almost inconsequential.  That is, it's not about plot, but about character for me.  I guess this is a troubling point for some, and I've found that most people do indeed like to read stories where "stuff happens," even professors I've had who emphasize the importance of plot.

Are you some sort of snob?

Character developement is a major portion of a movie....but how can there be character development without any plot? The only movie that comes to mind that had almost no plot is Waking Life, and even towards the end a plot starts coming out. If you refer to a plot that has no clear motive, i might just agree. Lost in Translation just drifts from one vignette to the next and for a while it seems like we don't really know how long Bob has been in Japan, and we never really find out that for Scarlett's character. People say Big Lebowski has no plot, which I don't really understand. Maybe my definition of a 'plot' is confused.

I don't understand how you can extract "snob" just because someone values character development over plot development.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton