..stereotypes in film and overused cliches..

Started by NEON MERCURY, August 23, 2003, 11:34:32 PM

©brad

living in the south, i can say that it does gets stereotyped quite a bit in movies and all other forms of media a like. i was thinking about movies that take place in the south and they're usually period pieces- midnight in the garden of good and evil and forrest gump come to mind. let me ask ppl who've never been to the south- is this where u draw ur perceptions of it, from movies like this? it seems like most movies that take place in any town usa r really taking place sumwhere up north or out west.

u get the whole 'the south is 5 years behind the north' and i can say that its not really true. i mean sure if ur out in bumble fuck in towns where the entire population is less than the # of members on xixax, that's one thing. there r towns like that everywhere tho. point being, the south is just as swinging and bustling as any other place, especially if ur near a city like atlanta where i am. plus the chicks r much hotter in the south.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: ©bradliving in the south, i can say that it does gets stereotyped quite a bit in movies and all other forms of media a like. i was thinking about movies that take place in the south and they're usually period pieces- midnight in the garden of good and evil and forrest gump come to mind. let me ask ppl who've never been to the south- is this where u draw ur perceptions of it, from movies like this? it seems like most movies that take place in any town usa r really taking place sumwhere up north or out west.

u get the whole 'the south is 5 years behind the north' and i can say that its not really true. i mean sure if ur out in bumble fuck in towns where the entire population is less than the # of members on xixax, that's one thing. there r towns like that everywhere tho. point being, the south is just as swinging and bustling as any other place, especially if ur near a city like atlanta where i am. plus the chicks r much hotter in the south.

listen p.c hippy commies like to say things like that but let me ask you this

is the govener of new york a liberal hippy p.c freak No he is a republican

outside of west hollywood is california a hippy dippy place, no its mostlly a republican place, go to orange county then in a few months ask arnie his opinion

their is so called rednecks in california and new york

i would lable a hard core italian guy from bensonhurst as having all the same traights that p.c freaks hate , or dito a black guy from bed stuy

they hate all the same stuff that p.c freaks love

so all that bull about the south being backwords is bullshit, its  just that all we here about is places like soho in new york or hollywood in california

i lived in california most of my life, in the burbs

but some spots in california  are more redneck ish then deep alabama, ever drive to vegas ???????? those towns are scarey

so fuck people who put down the south, because the people they are insulting are the real people of the world who have the real power

RegularKarate

Run Ronnie Run was rejected by Bob and David... they hated it and didn't even want it to get released... didn't think it was up to par, but it got released on video anyway, just because the studios were pissed they spent money on it.

Also, David Cross was born and raised in the south, so there wasn't too much "research" that needed to be done.

I agree though that the stereotypes of the south are getting old, though.

Find Your Magali

As a white man who has lived in both the Deep South and Northeast over the past 15 years, my observation is that race relations are much better and more comfortable in the South than they are in the Northeast these days.

And, no, most movies don't reflect that.

RegularKarate

Yeah... that's not true at all... Racism is much stronger and more violent in the south...

the stereotype is certainly wrong and it's not like EVERYONE in the south is racist or NO ONE in the Northeast is racist.

©brad

Quote from: RegularKarateYeah... that's not true at all... Racism is much stronger and more violent in the south...

maybe. i dunno, i think its the same everywhere u go. perhaps its just more outspoken in the south.

pete

sunglasses are the most cliched symbols of "cool" ever, but people won't stop wearing them in movies.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

NEON MERCURY

....there has to be a whole lot more of these but right of the topm of my head what's becoming/already/always been a bad cliche is during a good film a bad cheesy line(other than the 'i love yous'. or body language or  menuever or action done by the character in question..Case in point..The two Towers :during an amazing battle sequence legolas goes sliding on his shield or what -not..I tmakes you "damn that was stupid to put intheir"..kind of like the feeling when watching Gangs of New York..and the moment you see cameron diaz you feel the seriousness of the picture slide down.but still in GONY  it managed to reddem itself indeffinately.....but the Two Towers Thing is cliched ....others films have something like that also but i canot think of them now.

Quote from: RegularKarateYeah... that's not true at all... Racism is much stronger and more violent in the south... .

ever been to bensonherst New york  where they call black people nigers to their faces like its not even close to being offensive

Cecil

everybody knows theres equal racism all over the planet

Quote from: Cecil B. Dementedeverybody knows theres equal racism all over the planet

yep everybody hates everyone, so thats why racism is a touchy situation

i know for a fact if the roles were reveresed and blacks ran america they would treat whites the way we treat blacks

and every fucking country has a beef with itself and with other countrys

name one country that does not have cival beefs

northern italions look down on southern itlalions, meanwhile rednecks look at both groups as being the same

and black people frm africa many times look down on black people from america

and the biggest snobs i have ever met have been gay, but the p.c police dont talk about that

but the trick is to not read life from books ( jeremy blackman im talking to you)  , but to see it for yourself

SoNowThen

Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalones
Quote from: Cecil B. Dementedeverybody knows theres equal racism all over the planet

yep everybody hates everyone, so thats why racism is a touchy situation

i know for a fact if the roles were reveresed and blacks ran america they would treat whites the way we treat blacks

and every fucking country has a beef with itself and with other countrys

name one country that does not have cival beefs

northern italions look down on southern itlalions, meanwhile rednecks look at both groups as being the same

and black people frm africa many times look down on black people from america

and the biggest snobs i have ever met have been gay, but the p.c police dont talk about that

Truer words were never spoken. Thank God there are a few people whose eyes are open.

I Heart 'Pants.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalonesname one country that does not have cival beefs

South Africa.

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalonesname one country that does not have cival beefs

South Africa.

go there and see for yourself, before you pontificate

while there have un protected sex a lot

Alexandro

What about Robert Altman's depiction of rich people in Dallas in Dr. T and the Woman??? was that accurate?? i know it was funny...