..stereotypes in film and overused cliches..

Started by NEON MERCURY, August 23, 2003, 11:34:32 PM

NEON MERCURY

..really bad stereotypes....are  most southerners in film are depicted as racist /rednecks/stupid......that is far from the truth and when used in films its a generic technique to "dramatize" point/plot developement in these  films...

cliches  that tend to get bothersome ..are. "the cool/laughable/comic relief..stoners... and......trailers for  "chick flicks"..that .show the whole film in a condensed versions complete w/awful pop song twards the end of the trailer...

there are more for both catagories but can't think of them now..

chainsmoking insomniac

Personally, I hate when characters flat out say "I love you."  I think the best writers are able to convey that emotion through action and subtext.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: chainsmoking insomniacPersonally, I hate when characters flat out say "I love you."  I think the best writers are able to convey that emotion through action and subtext.

..good point.i agree w/you..they tend to say this right when the score hits the high notes.and it detracks from the scene...b/c its so overused.. and cheesy..this is also bad if the film is great .then BAM!!!-..they drop the "i love you " line.. :arrow:  :roll:

RegularKarate

I hate the stereotype wher all the people who go to the gym and where sweatpants have boners.

It's not really true... in fact, it's pretty hard to get boner while lifting weights

bonanzataz

Quote from: RegularKarateI hate the stereotype wher all the people who go to the gym and where sweatpants have boners.

It's not really true... in fact, it's pretty hard to get boner while lifting weights

???

stop pretending you don't see my pm's, rk. i'm sorry, OK? it was ONE night of infidelity, i had to get it out of my system. you can't pretend like a person isn't there just because they wronged you. we have to talk about it. talk is the only thing that will get us through these rough times. and i know we can make it through because i... because... i love you
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: bonanzataz

stop pretending you don't see my pm's, rk. i'm sorry, OK? it was ONE night of infidelity, i had to get it out of my system. you can't pretend like a person isn't there just because they wronged you. we have to talk about it. talk is the only thing that will get us through these rough times. and i know we can make it through because i... because... i love you

not bad..get james vander beek and...fredie prinze jr.  to play the two leads and score the scene w/music from avril lavinge ...and get McG to direct and you got a winner....

RegularKarate

Quote from: bonanzataz

Dude, all your PMs say are "Buddy Holly love you long time"... I don't really get it, but you've been sending them for years and it's about time you explained.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: RegularKarateI hate the stereotype wher all the people who go to the gym and where sweatpants have boners.

not if your doing deadlifts

Find Your Magali

Chainsmoking insomniac wrote:

QuotePersonally, I hate when characters flat out say "I love you." I think the best writers are able to convey that emotion through action and subtext.

Here's an exception that proves your rule, perhaps:

The wonderful car scene in "Say Anything," in which Lloyd bravely blurts out to Diane, "I love you," just before she breaks up with him and gives him a pen.

Magical, true stuff.

Other than that, though, you're right on target.

IHeartPTA

Quote from: Find Your MagaliChainsmoking insomniac wrote:

QuotePersonally, I hate when characters flat out say "I love you." I think the best writers are able to convey that emotion through action and subtext.

Here's an exception that proves your rule, perhaps:

The wonderful car scene in "Say Anything," in which Lloyd bravely blurts out to Diane, "I love you," just before she breaks up with him and gives him a pen.

Magical, true stuff.

Other than that, though, you're right on target.

another exception. another cameron crowe film.

almost famous

when penny lane is drugged up and patrick fugit's character says "i love you" and then the paramedics come and pump her stomach.

now that's magic.

i think there's something like that in vanilla sky, but i was on acid when i saw that movie so, you know.
"I want to confess as best I can, but my heart is void. The void is a mirror. I see my face and feel loathing and horror. My indifference to men has shut me out. I live now in a world of ghosts, a prisoner in my dreams. " -Antonius Block from The Seventh Seal

chainsmoking insomniac

Okay, maybe Say Anything is the exception, because that scene wasn't sugar-coated.

I  think the scene mentioned in Almost Famous isn't as good though.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Ever notice Judges in films and TV Shows are almost always played by black people? I think that is an example of Hollywood trying to overcompensate for casting blacks in such stereotypical roles for so many years.

IHeartPTA

Quote from: chainsmoking insomniacI  think the scene mentioned in Almost Famous isn't as good though.

yea, fair enough
"I want to confess as best I can, but my heart is void. The void is a mirror. I see my face and feel loathing and horror. My indifference to men has shut me out. I live now in a world of ghosts, a prisoner in my dreams. " -Antonius Block from The Seventh Seal

Ravi

Quote from: 1976Ever notice Judges in films and TV Shows are almost always played by black people? I think that is an example of Hollywood trying to overcompensate for casting blacks in such stereotypical roles for so many years.

And the judges always have to be humans, what the hell?  I bet people don't know about Justice Mr. Cuddlyface IV.

I saw some website with movie cliches categorized, so anything I add would probably be redundant.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: NEON MERCURY..really bad stereotypes....are  most southerners in film are depicted as racist /rednecks/stupid......that is far from the truth and when used in films its a generic technique to "dramatize" point/plot developement in these  films...

ive never lived in the south been there a lot byt to be honest mostlly miami, so im no expert

but thats why i loved ohh brother where are though and hated run ronnie run

ohh brother had heart, clooney is from kentucky and turtorio is a research god, and the brothers they showed the proper respect the south like any place should get

now run ronnie run is not a southern pic per say, but it was filled with such bad cliches of what a mullethead/burnout is

you can tell bob and dave did no real research except for look at people on the street with disdainan and shit on their way of life because they are not as " hip as they are

well thats why run ronnie run went straight to basic cable  in croatia mind you not the stuff they pay for just the basic channels that you pick up when you plug your tv into the wall