2003 Oscars = Crap of the Earth?

Started by USTopGun47, May 17, 2003, 05:25:53 PM

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: The Silver BulletI hope Scorsese never wins an Oscar, which may sound terrible, but the hope comes from a good place. If Hitchcock, Kubrick, Kurosawa and Chaplin never won an Oscar for best director and yet people like Mel Gibson and Kevin Costner have, then I think I would rather see Scorsese go down in history with the former group than with the latter.

no i hope he does win, he could get on stage and except it for Hitchcock, Kubrick, Kurosawa, and The guy who directed Booty call

oakmanc234

I'll pretty much remember 2003's Oscar's for being the one that ignored 'PDL' and snubbed 'Gangs' (two films I love). At least '8 Mile' got something.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Pedro

Quote from: SantaClauseWasA BlackMan
Quote from: The Silver BulletI hope Scorsese never wins an Oscar, which may sound terrible, but the hope comes from a good place. If Hitchcock, Kubrick, Kurosawa and Chaplin never won an Oscar for best director and yet people like Mel Gibson and Kevin Costner have, then I think I would rather see Scorsese go down in history with the former group than with the latter.

he could get on stage and except it for...The guy who directed Booty call

Ah yesss.  Who could forget Pollack.

SoNowThen

Daniel Day-Lewis got raped. That's all I can say.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

i think woody allen said something to the effect of if he was going to buy into the hype of awards for doing something worthwhile he would also have to believe that not being awarded/recognized also had equal merit.  basically he didnt care about the oscars for annie hall because he knows he's doing what he wants to do and if he were to believe the awards had power over him to make him feel appreciated they had the power to do the opposite as well.  a good bit of wisdom, especially from him.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

USTopGun47

Yeah ...the Oscars are most defenitly production awards.  It's that grandiosness of Dances With Wolves that steals from quality films with more personality like Scorsese.  Man goes to fronteir and meets Indians.  Smokes pipe and old wise man speaks words of wisdom to the setting sun as the culture is erased.  Elaborate, lengthy on location shooting.  Best Picture.  NYC, brilliant, innovative crime film becomes a classic.  Nomination?  Maybe.
I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right. What have I got Harry, hm? Why should I even make the bed, or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I'm alone. Your father's gone, you're gone. I got no one to care for. What have I got, Harry? I'm lonely. I'm old.