2003 Oscars = Crap of the Earth?

Started by USTopGun47, May 17, 2003, 05:25:53 PM

USTopGun47

OK.  The 2003 Oscars.  Anyone else feeling some MAJOR disapointments?  CHICAGO?  An organization to sell out to such modern, mainstream entertainment should be asahmed of themselves.  I mean, sure, they had some good nominations.  Adrian Brodery's win was nice, though acting wise was he not more visual and pacifistic?  How about the complex role of Nicholas Cage in Adaptation?  Meryl Streep?  Polanski was a good win.  But with scripts like Y Tu Mama Tambien (its only nod) and Donald Kaufman being flushed down the toilet, we must ask, is this really fair?
I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right. What have I got Harry, hm? Why should I even make the bed, or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I'm alone. Your father's gone, you're gone. I got no one to care for. What have I got, Harry? I'm lonely. I'm old.

godardian

I was just disappointed with the nominations, as usual. I actually thought Chicago was a pretty good movie. It didn't deserve the awards, though.

The Academy Awards are very rarely based on quality, though, don't you think? They're based on sentimentality, politics, money, all before worthiness, right?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Duck Sauce

Im dissapointed that the Oscars mean so much...

Derek237

I'm starting to like the Oscars much much less and the Golden Globes much much more. I was way more pleased with some of the GG winners like Jack Nicholson (if any actor on the face of the planet deserves 4 Oscars it's him), Meryl Streep, Richard Gere, Renee Zellwegger, and of course, Martin Scorsese!! Even the nominations were better. About Schmidt got 5 GG noms, including best picture, it WON for its screenplay, and come Oscar time it only got nominated for best actor and supporting actress. Arg!

Pedro

Even though Chicago won best picture, as we all knew was going to happen, the Pianist was the big winner of the night.  Screenplay, Actor, and Director.  Adrien Brody's award was completely deserved.  And I know I'll get DianeLaneShouldHaveGottenitBITCH!ed on this one but I was happy like i slapped my pappy when Nicole Kidman won best actress.  Kaufman should have won best screenplay, I know, but at least the best movie of last year got some recognition.

USTopGun47

It is so true that the quality comes second in the Oscars.  They sell out to epis and big production wayyy to much (ie English Patient)... I do agree that the Grammy's were much better this year.  Chicago is grammy level, but they really did justice to Cage, Streep and Scorsese.  It would be very pleasing to see some of that Oscar hype die down .....
I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right. What have I got Harry, hm? Why should I even make the bed, or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I'm alone. Your father's gone, you're gone. I got no one to care for. What have I got, Harry? I'm lonely. I'm old.

Sleuth

Scorsese is my favorite Grammy winner
I like to hug dogs

USTopGun47

Its really too bad Scorsese doesn't get much Oscar attention.  It would be nice to see a win.  Think he might get one?

Redlum

They are *industry* awards. Largely voted by 'old timers' who are still suckers for grand epics, which is nice in a way. I dont think they need to be taken that seriously.

I hadn't seen many of the nominees around oscar time, but im gradually becoming more and more impressed with the acting catergories.

Also I dont like to bash the oscars because in a way it undermines truly deserving, proud and humbled winners such as Chris Cooper this year. Who gave a brilliant acceptance speech and was the highlight of the evening for me. Its moments like that that make the oscars.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

©brad

Quote from: Duck SauceIm dissapointed that the Oscars mean so much...

nah, they really don't to anyone except ppl in hollywood.

anyway i thought the oscars this year were pretty good for a change.

Pedro

Quote from: cbrad4d
Quote from: Duck SauceIm dissapointed that the Oscars mean so much...

nah, they really don't to anyone except ppl in hollywood.

anyway i thought the oscars this year were pretty good for a change.
agreed.

bonanzataz

i saw unfaithful and didn't think ms. lane was THAT great. it was definitely a good performance, but nothing really oscar worthy. the movie was good and it stays with you for about a week after you view it, but once the week is up, who really cares? i doubt i'll watch it again. out of all the nominees (i forget who was nominated, actually) i'm glad kidman won.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

godardian

Quote from: bonanzatazi saw unfaithful and didn't think ms. lane was THAT great. it was definitely a good performance, but nothing really oscar worthy. the movie was good and it stays with you for about a week after you view it, but once the week is up, who really cares? i doubt i'll watch it again. out of all the nominees (i forget who was nominated, actually) i'm glad kidman won.

Kidman was worthy, but I preferred Julianne Moore, possibly because I preferred Far from Heaven to The Hours.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

The Silver Bullet

I hope Scorsese never wins an Oscar, which may sound terrible, but the hope comes from a good place. If Hitchcock, Kubrick, Kurosawa and Chaplin never won an Oscar for best director and yet people like Mel Gibson and Kevin Costner have, then I think I would rather see Scorsese go down in history with the former group than with the latter.
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

godardian

Quote from: The Silver BulletI hope Scorsese never wins an Oscar, which may sound terrible, but the hope comes from a good place. If Hitchcock, Kubrick, Kurosawa and Chaplin never won an Oscar for best director and yet people like Mel Gibson and Kevin Costner have, then I think I would rather see Scorsese go down in history with the former group than with the latter.

That is an extremely cogent thing to say. It makes me feel a lot better. Woody Allen once said something great about awards that similarly put them in perspective. I wish I could remember it.