2011 Xixax Awards: NOMINATE!

Started by modage, January 16, 2011, 12:12:57 PM

MacGuffin

There won't an awards if more donatiions don't come in.  :yabbse-sad:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

I Love a Magician

what's the average donation (of people who have actually donated)

MacGuffin

Quote from: I Love a Magician on January 27, 2011, 07:44:47 PM
what's the average donation (of people who have actually donated)

The cost of a used DVD. We'll accept new Criterion DVD size donations.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

squints

So along the same lines of I'm Still Here, does Catfish or Exit Through The Gift Shop fit in the documentary category?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Kal

When is deadline to nominate? Been busy but will try to finish mine this week!

polkablues

Deadline was Monday, but I for one am still accepting nominations.

Quote from: squints on February 01, 2011, 02:34:30 AM
So along the same lines of I'm Still Here, does Catfish or Exit Through The Gift Shop fit in the documentary category?

Both count as documentaries.  If someone demands a long-winded explanation as to why they count and I'm Still Here doesn't, I can provide that, but until then just take my word for it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pas

A little late but, Stefen and other geeks: Rush Beyond the Lighted Stage for best documentary please pretty please.

Stefen

^I'll watch it, but probably not in time for the awards. I'm going to have to sit this years out.

Does it have Peart being a badass behind the kit?

Another great documentary that I saw a few months ago was called Restrepo. It was about a platoon of soldiers embedded in one of the most dangerous parts of Afghanistan. It was fantastic and it is streaming on Netflix. I watch yours, you watch mine!
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polkablues

Restrepo is great.  I nominated it.  If you want to see it make it to the final vote, you could maybe fill out a ballot...  It wouldn't take more than a few minutes....

Pas

Deal. Yours sounds sweet.

The Rush doc is seriously great too. You got an interview with Billy Corgan and he tells the story that when he was a young teen he went ot his parents and said he had to tell them something important. He played them the song Entre Nous because the lyrics are pretty much the greatest thing ever to say to overprotective parents (or girlfriend you hate type thing) (http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/rush/entrenous.html). They didn't get it and left. It's funnier when he tells it.

Great interviews with a bunch of other rock stars. Also it tells the story that the only reason we know of Rush today is because a Cleveland DJ lady had to take a shit so she put on Working Man (14 min) on the radio.

Or how Peart is a weirdo with the best parents ever.

polkablues

ATTENTION XIXAXERS! 

As the result of our staggering magnanimity, you have all had an extra week to prepare nominations.  Many of you fine folks have already sent yours in, and we thank you for it.  If you have not yet sent one in, and you intend to, please do so by end of day Sunday. 

Remember, partial ballots are accepted.  Even if you only nominate one movie in one category and leave everything else blank, that's better for the awards than not sending anything at all.  And don't forget to vote for BEST FILM OF 2009 (REDUX)!  Precious: Based on the novel Push by Sapphire can't win if you don't vote for it!

Gold Trumpet

Fuck it, the delay helped me to watch Enter the Void and I really want to vote for it. It's a film I believe in and want to campaign for. Expect a partial ballot from me and advanced apologies for looking like a hypocrite by voting when I said I wouldn't. If I complain next year or any year after, call me out ten fold. I have learned my lesson.

Hey, Stefen, go watch Enter the Void and vote as well! Time to make amends.

polkablues

No hypocrisy.  I also used the extra time to catch EtV and ended up changing my ballot as a result.  All is forgiven to those who vote.

Stefen

I'll probably vote. Is The Wild Hunt 2009 or 2010?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.