2011 Xixax Awards: NOMINATE!

Started by modage, January 16, 2011, 12:12:57 PM

Pas

Yes to all of this, a lot

Quote from: Stefen on January 18, 2011, 04:27:50 PM

We could even have other fun categories like top 5 forum posters, threads, posts and best newbie. It would make the awards a lot more fun because we could even get some politicking going for three weeks or so. It would be a lot more fun than just voting for Inception, Social Network, Black Swan, 127 hours, True Grit and Toy Story 3 and everything associated with them. I saw ALL those movies. Some were good, some were overrated and some were annoying. But we should all be able to judge for ourselves, right?

Just a suggestion. That's all.

Reel

in my humble opinion:

BEST FILM- GREENBERG
BEST DIRECTOR- DAVID FINCHER
BEST FEMALE PERFORMANCE- HAILEE STEINFELD (True Grit)
BEST MALE PERFORMANCE- JESSE EISENBERG ( The Social Network )
BEST TV SHOW- LOUIE

Quote from: I Love a Magician on January 18, 2011, 08:36:49 PM
trash humpers for best cinematography
YES!!!!

Pubrick

Freaks,

yes, i am alive.

but more importantly, don't overrate movies just because you haven't seen them. you KNOW even without knowing that the performances are probably the best thing about Blue Valentine, so don't kid yourself that it's any good in any other category.. you KNOW (take my word for it) that australian movies are always overrated and mostly shit.. so Animal Kingdom might be OK but i can tell you right now that it's only being praised because there's a huge surge or popularity recently for a tv show in australia called Underbelly.. which is sort of a sopranos/cop show kind of thing about the underworld of some shit hole that doesn't matter for shit.

Underbelly was/is a huge TV hit because it pretended that australia was interesting in a way that was tired and already proven via American imports (CSI in all its variations remain the most popular show in australia week by week) so it's no surprise that a movie version of it would be such a huge hit here. the country is so stupid that it put forth a lot of money to push for the best chance it has to win any award recognition in that one chick in the movie (Animal Kingdom if you haven't forgotten by now as i well have) and it failed miserably.. jacki who?eaver?

seriously. don't be an idiot. the movies you haven't seen MAY be great and you may have not choice but to see them when its released on dvd but for the most part you have seen the best movies you will have voted for anyway. just vote for what you've seen... next year when everyone has FINALLY seen everything from 2010 (so in 2012 we're talking here.. if we're going to be realistic about giving everyone a chance about seeing movies then it should take FOREVER but this is my point) you will have a chance to fix things with your REDUX nomination.

if you still care. but don't be fooled.. most films stefen mentioned on page one are shit or not all that good.

and WHY THE HELL ARE PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT TRASH HUMPERS ALL OF A SUDDEN? wasn't that movie online like 2 years ago????  i saw it and puked and masturbated over my own vomit IN THE LAST DECADE already.......... jeeeeezus christ!
under the paving stones.

modage

Quote from: P on January 20, 2011, 09:28:54 AM
i saw it and puked and masturbated over my own vomit IN THE LAST DECADE already.......... jeeeeezus christ!

Good to have you back!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Reel

WHY THE HELL ARE PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT TRASH HUMPERS ALL OF A SUDDEN? wasn't that movie online like 2 years ago????  i saw it and puked and masturbated over my own vomit IN THE LAST DECADE already.......... jeeeeezus christ!

There's been enough chatter about it, time to give it an award already! because obviously no one else gives a fuck..

Stefen

don't overrate movies just because you haven't seen them.

lol. You do this ALL the time.

Quote from: P on November 10, 2010, 04:25:18 AMthis is one of my most anticipated films of the year because i KNOW it will be deliver

Quote from: P on July 08, 2010, 12:47:48 PMok i don't think ppl are appreciating how good this movie is gonna be. (i haven't read the script)

And at one time, you even encouraged the rest of us to pull our collective heads out of our asses to do the same...

Quote from: P on November 10, 2010, 04:25:18 AMthis year is a wash as far as xixax's ability to back winning horses is concerned. let's hope we (as a collective) get our heads out of our asses and get back to recognizing great films before we see them cos that's why we're the number one place on the entire internet for savvy movie-loving losers. it's all well and good to recognize a great film AFTER you've seen it, i think we generally have that covered, but it is another (and more admirable) skill altogether to know when a movie is going to be great before it's even out.

So now all of a sudden what's the problem with the rest of us wanting to get a chance to actually see stuff we're anticipating before we have to vote? And we're not even overrating them before we see them, we just want to have a chance to see them. You would probably want to see the films you were overrating before you had to vote, too, right? You wouldn't vote for something you haven't seen, would you? Wouldn't you feel a little bummed if your whole ballot was filled out with stuff that you felt might have been bumped off if you had a bit more time to see everything you wanted?

Quote from: P on January 20, 2011, 09:28:54 AMmost films stefen mentioned on page one are shit or not all that good.

Maybe Enter the Void, Blue Valentine, Let Me In (which was excellent and deserving of a top five spot in my opinion), White Material, Animal Kingdom (and now I really gotta add...) and Trash Humpers are shit...........maybe they're not. They're mostly films I haven't seen that I want to. Maybe someone elses list of movies they want to see is completely different, but shouldn't we ultimately still judge for ourselves? Isn't that why we're the number one place on the entire internet for savvy movie-loving losers? This place would be the worst if we all just listened to one opinion instead of judging for ourselves. The whole reason I even want to see Enter the Void is because of the polarizing opinions it received on this board from people who's opinions I hold in high regard. I probably wouldn't even have given a shit about Enter the Void if not for the posts in its thread.

Films are subjective. Movies you thought were great others may have thought were shit. It doesn't mean either of you were wrong, it just means people have differing opinions. The whole 127 Hours thread was one long debate where some people loved it (including myself) and others didn't care for it too much because movies are different to everyone. And that's why we should all see things we want to see for ourselves.

I'm content with the voting being so early before a lot of us get a chance to see everything we want to see and it's unfortunate it was blown so way out of proportion (mostly my fault, so apologies and shit) and at the end of the day I'm trying to catch up on everything I want to see in the next 11 days, but if I can't, then I won't vote because I don't want to turn in a half-assed ballot, and I'm okay with that.

Right now the only thing I feel guilty about overrating are these awards.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

martinthewarrior

I would highly recommend seeing Blue Valentine before nominating. And, also, not overrating Black Swan.

Excited!

picolas

yes! and don't forget how awesome scott pilgrim was in every category and how many people didn't like it so it needs your support.

pete

the outside world is reasonably crazy about I Am Love.  does it have support here?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pas

OrHowILearnedTo

^^YES! Probably in my top 5 of the year.

RegularKarate

Quote from: martinthewarrior on January 23, 2011, 03:28:35 PM
I would highly recommend seeing not overrating Blue Valentine before nominating. And, also, not overratingrecommending Black Swan.

Excited!

martinthewarrior

I could argue with you all day about Blue Valentine, which I wanted, so badly, to hate. Obviously, I didn't. For it's few flaws, none of which I minded, it is a perfect example of what I go to the movies for. Not that anyone should care about that. Black Swan is utterly soulless, but I think I still included it in my top five. At least in the direction category.

I'm recruiting a large BV army to come to the site and nominate. Wash the taste of last years best picture win out of my mouth.

Stefen

Quote from: martinthewarrior on January 24, 2011, 10:05:20 PMI'm recruiting a large BV army to come to the site and nominate. Wash the taste of last years best picture win out of my mouth.

:rofl: do it.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

picolas