2011 Xixax Awards: NOMINATE!

Started by modage, January 16, 2011, 12:12:57 PM

RegularKarate

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on January 18, 2011, 04:25:03 PM
When did this board ever copycat the Oscar results?

Other way around... the Oscars would push people to NOT vote for certain movies because they felt they already got recognized at the Oscars. 

There's no pleasing everyone with this sort of thing.  Sorry.

picolas

Quote from: Stefen on January 18, 2011, 04:27:50 PMCan't tell if you're being a jerk or not.
you must be reading my posts with some kind of jerk inflection in your head. or yelling them aloud in a jerk voice. seriously, the second paragraph of that post was pure compromise brainstorming.

Gold Trumpet

If people believe in films, actors, or directors enough, I don't think Oscars really matter all that much. However, it's not my forum. I argue against myself by paying this much attention to something I cannot change. No argument made me feel comfortable with missing out on a healthy number of possible contenders so I'm again just ducking out.

modage

ATTENION: XIXAX

The admins are sorry to hear that so many of you are disappointed that you won't have time to see everything before the voting period ends.  Every year we try to take these things into consideration when coming up with a timeline for our awards.  We've tried it earlier and we've tried it later and there is just no pleasing everybody. 

So we've come up with a new category that will hopefully help this problem. 

BEST FILM OF [LAST YEAR] (REDUX). 

This category will be for films eligible for last year's Xixax Awards and you will be allowed only 1 vote.  Will District 9 still be crowned the Xixax Best Film of 2009?  Or with a year of distance and time for the dust to settle, will something else take the crown?  We think this will be an interesting way to appease both those that want to see all the indie fare they may not have gotten around to during the year as well as to reflect on our choices from the previous year with a little bit of hindsight.  So here is your new category, we think it's going to be fun. 

Quote from: modage on January 16, 2011, 12:12:57 PM
BEST FILM OF 2009 (REDUX)
-

The awards date will not be moved, so please try to vote.  And begin your campaigning...NOW!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

And to help remind yourself of last year's crop, here's the list of 2009 eligible films:
http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawards/rules/reminderlist2009.pdf

Quote from: 72teeth on January 18, 2011, 04:39:53 PM
cool beans. does that qualify Trash Humpers as a doc as well then?

Based on what I know of the flick, I would say no, but if other people who have actually seen it say otherwise, we'll go with that.
My house, my rules, my coffee

RegularKarate

Also, I know we may be coming off as grumpy and immovable here, but there really ISN'T any pleasing everyone.

Just a brief history of the last 4 years of Xixax Award Nominations:

2007 – We did it mid-February and we had a lack of nominations.

2008 - moved it back to the middle of March.  CMBB still won and we had to do a Runners up category.  We also had a lot of people forgetting what had come out.  We had a very low turnout for nominees.

2009 - Started later: Nobody sent in Ballots, Stefen got mad that it was taking so long.

2010 - Noms were due the exact same as this year.  Everyone complained, GT  did exactly what he did this year (asked when have we ever copied the Oscars then "officially" passed),  Stefen got mad.  P asked when everyone would rather have the awards and most people seemed to prefer to keep it the same.

polkablues

Let's move on to something more fun than complaining: CAMPAIGNING!

BEST ACTOR - PATRICK FABIAN - "THE LAST EXORCISM"

BEST ACTRESS - CAREY MULLIGAN - "NEVER LET ME GO"

BEST SUPPORTING MALE - NIGEL LINDSAY - "FOUR LIONS"

BEST TV SHOW - FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS

Stefen

Everyone in 2009 seemed to be happy they had more time.

http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=10586.0

I never got mad. My comment was a joke directed towards Kal. If nobody sent in ballots that year that's a real drag, but who knows how true that is.

Retroactive best film is a good idea. It would probably hold more weight than whatever won the previous year and would solidify the winner if it won again.

Quote from: polkablues on January 18, 2011, 05:43:47 PM

Really? Was that good?

Let's not forget Somewhere for worst film. *shudders*
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

matt35mm

Trash Humpers is not at all a documentary.  It's simply non-narrative and shot as if it were a documentary.  It's different from Jackass in that Trash Humpers has a fictional premise: that these "people" (played by actors), recorded themselves doing all this shit.  In Jackass, there's a "real premise," that the Jackasses (not played by actors), are recording the real results of the silly situations they invented.

polkablues

Quote from: Stefen on January 18, 2011, 05:52:37 PM
Quote from: polkablues on January 18, 2011, 05:43:47 PM

Really? Was that good?

The movie wasn't great, but it was better than I expected.  He was fantastic in it, though.

72teeth

Quote from: matt35mm on January 18, 2011, 06:05:03 PM
In Jackass, there's a "real premise," that the Jackasses (not played by actors), are recording the real results of the silly situations they invented.

So I'm Still Here qualifies?
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

a.santi

I'd like to participate but we dont get things here in argentina till later.  next year maybe.

matt35mm

Quote from: 72teeth on January 18, 2011, 06:42:49 PM
In Jackass, there's a "real premise," that the Jackasses (not played by actors), are recording the real results of the silly situations they invented.

I haven't seen I'm Still Here.  This is all fairly fuzzy anyway, so I was just trying to figure out how I'd draw the lines.  From what I hear, it sounds like the movie tells the story AS IF everything was real, when really it was fake, including invented scenes that were directed, which makes it more of a faux-documentary.  In that case, the premise is fictional and so it wouldn't be a documentary.  I vaguely recall reading that Phoenix did not act like that when the cameras were off, which means he was playing a character, which makes it more comparable to Borat/Bruno.  Not a documentary.

Alexandro

Quote from: matt35mm on January 18, 2011, 09:24:29 PM
Quote from: 72teeth on January 18, 2011, 06:42:49 PM

I haven't seen I'm Still Here.  This is all fairly fuzzy anyway, so I was just trying to figure out how I'd draw the lines.  From what I hear, it sounds like the movie tells the story AS IF everything was real, when really it was fake, including invented scenes that were directed, which makes it more of a faux-documentary.  In that case, the premise is fictional and so it wouldn't be a documentary.  I vaguely recall reading that Phoenix did not act like that when the cameras were off, which means he was playing a character, which makes it more comparable to Borat/Bruno.  Not a documentary.

word.
it's a comedy.
very funny actually. my favorite joaquin phoenix performance by far.
people that were offended (or offended by it but pretend like it was all this big bore) make me laugh. this was a riot.
COMPLI-FUCKING-CAAAAAAAAAAAATION
Some things are not for everyone.