2011 Xixax Awards: NOMINATE!

Started by modage, January 16, 2011, 12:12:57 PM

Alexandro

what's the criteria for a film like You Don't Know Jack?
tv movies in general, are they out of this?

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

Good thing The Decalogue wasn't released this year then.

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

Alexandro

damn.

so we play by the oscar's dates and no tv movies like this is 1997 and tv movies are a bad word. ok.

RegularKarate

yes, and then everyone complains about it.  Just like every year.

Stefen

What's the reason why we can't move the date up? Most posters seem to want this to take place later so they have a chance to see more stuff from last year.

I think it would be a good idea and could create some interesting debates if films other than the biggest ones of the year got some love.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

At the end of the day its better to vote for what you've seen than not to vote at all.  Last year was 12 months (same as the one before) and for 12 months everyone saw movies.  Of the ones you managed to see, vote for the ones that were best.  We understand people are busy and don't have time to see everything they want to see but we're also not requiring them to.  If someone chose to see Inception instead of The Kids Are All Right then that was their choice and we'd prefer not to wait until the middle of 2011 for everyone to have a chance to catch up on all the "what-ifs".  The Xixax Awards are just for fun and it's always a good sampling of what people liked best from what they saw.  What everyone chooses to see is up to them.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

picolas

also if you want to debate obscure movies, there's always the thread. even if absolutely everyone managed to see animal kingdom or something (which most people probably wouldn't get around to for months if ever cause they have stuff to do etc.) , would it still end up in enough top fives to get nommed?

perhaps we should have a thread about who you would nom and why, or some specific top 5 threads for each year. that way we could discuss the weirder choices that almost certainly get overlooked.

RegularKarate

We go through this every year.  We want to get these out before the Oscars so they're not influenced by them.

There's always going to be one more movie you could have seen.  The Kids are Alright was boring, Blue Valentine was depressing.  Animal Kingdom was overrated, and Enter the Void was annoying.*  THERE, now just vote.

(* I only actually saw one of these movies)

72teeth

Is Unkrich up for Debut since it's his first solo credit?

*cough*isJackass3DaDoc*cough*
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Gold Trumpet

When did this board ever copycat the Oscar results? If I remember correctly, the few times our awards came after the Oscars telecast, this board prided itself in having different results. If we fail and just select whatever the Oscars do, that's our fault, but it seems like a weird problem to forecast. I think The Social Network will win at Oscars and should win here too and if that happens, it's not a coincidence on par with Crash winning. It's a good film.

polkablues

I'm inclined to say no on Lee Unkrich. Co-directing still counts as directing.

As for Jackass 3D, I already put it down under documentary on my own ballot.  :yabbse-smiley:
My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

Quote from: picolas on January 18, 2011, 03:13:37 PM
also if you want to debate obscure movies, there's always the thread. even if absolutely everyone managed to see animal kingdom or something (which most people probably wouldn't get around to for months if ever cause they have stuff to do etc.) , would it still end up in enough top fives to get nommed?

perhaps we should have a thread about who you would nom and why, or some specific top 5 threads for each year. that way we could discuss the weirder choices that almost certainly get overlooked.

Can't tell if you're being a jerk or not. It was just a suggestion. Moving it to a later date would do no harm at all. the pros of being able to catch up on stuff far outweigh the cons. I don't understand how the Academy Awards or Golden Globes would influence the small userbase on this forum anyways. If anything, it would deter it since, ya know, we're so above it all. And if they are the same, that just means the Oscars got them right.

We could even have other fun categories like top 5 forum posters, threads, posts and best newbie. It would make the awards a lot more fun because we could even get some politicking going for three weeks or so. It would be a lot more fun than just voting for Inception, Social Network, Black Swan, 127 hours, True Grit and Toy Story 3 and everything associated with them. I saw ALL those movies. Some were good, some were overrated and some were annoying. But we should all be able to judge for ourselves, right?

Just a suggestion. That's all.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

72teeth

Quote from: polkablues on January 18, 2011, 04:27:21 PM
As for Jackass 3D, I already put it down under documentary on my own ballot.  :yabbse-smiley:

cool beans. does that qualify Trash Humpers as a doc as well then?
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza