2011 Xixax Awards: NOMINATE!

Started by modage, January 16, 2011, 12:12:57 PM

modage

WELCOME TO THE 2011 XIXAX AWARDS!

It's time to nominate!

Send your votes in through PM, following all the rules. The deadline is Monday, January 31st.

Remember: Any trailer released in 2010 is eligible for Best Trailer even if the film has not yet been released.  You should also try to specify Teaser or Trailer if there were several different versions released.  

THE RULES:

YOU HAVE TO
1. vote privately:
. . . .If your username begins begins with A-F (or #), send your ballot to MacGuffin
. . . .If your username begins begins with G-K, send your ballot to modage
. . . .If your username begins begins with L-P, send your ballot to picolas
. . . .If your username begins begins with Q-Z, send your ballot to polkablues
2. copy the form provided below and paste it into your PM
3. only list the movie in each category, not the person who would win (unless it's an acting category)
4. specify the actor and movie (for the acting categories), like this: Actor - "Movie"
5. use the most common title with foreign films (ask if you're not sure)
6. use full titles ("Toy Story 3" instead of "TS3")
7. (for the DVD category) specify the original theatrical release date if there are different versions or remakes
8. nominate titles in alphabetical order
9. title your PM "nominations" (please!)

YOU SHOULD
1. be honest
2. vote from personal opinion (not strategically or by consensus)

YOU CAN'T
1. nominate more than 5 movies per category
2. send more than one ballot
3. vote from different memberships
4. write your nominations with caps lock on
5. nominate publicly
6. change your ballot after January 31st

YOU CAN
1. nominate fewer than 5 per category (whatever you're comfortable with)
2. leave whole categories blank
3. nominate box sets in the Best DVD Release category
4. campaign

Here is a reminder list of eligible films from 2010:

http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawards/rules/reminderlist.html

------------------------------------------------------------------

copy and paste....

BEST FILM
-
-
-
-
-  

BEST DIRECTOR
-
-
-
-
-  

BEST FEMALE PERFORMANCE
-
-
-
-
-  

BEST MALE PERFORMANCE
-
-
-
-
-  

BEST SUPPORTING FEMALE PERFORMANCE
-
-
-
-
-  

BEST SUPPORTING MALE PERFORMANCE
-
-
-
-
-  

BEST SCREENPLAY
-
-
-
-
-  

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
-
-
-
-
-  

BEST ORIGINAL MUSIC
-
-
-
-
-    

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
-
-
-
-
-  

BEST DEBUT FILM
-
-
-
-
-  

BEST DOCUMENTARY
-
-
-
-
-  

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
-
-
-
-
-  

BEST DVD RELEASE
-
-
-
-
-  

BEST TRAILER
-
-
-
-
-  

BEST FILM POSTER
-
-
-
-
-  

BEST TV SHOW
-
-
-
-
-  

WORST FILM
-
-
-
-
-  

BEST FILM OF 2009 (REDUX)
-
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

Inception, Black Swan, The Social Network, 127 Hours and the obligatory Pixar/or Coens film. That's fine. All good movies, nothing controversial, just business as usual.

OR

We could have them a little later after we all get a chance to see things like Enter the Void, Let Me In, Blue Valentine, Animal Kingdom, White Material and everything else a lot of us haven't gotten a chance to see yet.

Whatdya say?  :yabbse-grin:
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

matt35mm

My only problem with January 31st is that The Illusionist opens here in February, and I'm almost certain that I'll want to nominate it, but should I nominate something I haven't seen?  Or should I nominate it just to give myself the option of choosing it as Best Animated Feature after I see it?

polkablues

Quote from: Stefen on January 16, 2011, 01:38:21 PM
Inception, Black Swan, The Social Network, 127 Hours and the obligatory Pixar/or Coens film. That's fine. All good movies, nothing controversial, just business as usual.

OR

We could have them a little later after we all get a chance to see things like Enter the Void, Let Me In, Blue Valentine, Animal Kingdom, White Material and everything else a lot of us haven't gotten a chance to see yet.

You've got two weeks, dude.  Get downloading!

Stefen

Quote from: polkablues on January 16, 2011, 01:50:40 PM
Quote from: Stefen on January 16, 2011, 01:38:21 PM

OR

You've got two weeks, dude.  Get downloading!

But I've become a blu-ray snob  :yabbse-sad: I downloaded crap for years and I am having more fun than ever watching movies on blu-ray.

I'm fine with Inception, Black Swan, The Social Network, 127 Hours and the obligatory Pixar/or Coens film. They're fine movies, I enjoyed those movies fine. They're pretty good movies. But anyone can tell you that. It would be fun to get some wild cards in. Enter the Void seems to be dividing and I want to see it before I nominate. Same with Blue Valentine and The Illusionist and countless others. What makes this place fun is that we see a lot of stuff, not just the big stuff. But a lot of us don't get to see a lot of films until later either because they don't come to our town and we have to wait for video or we don't want to download. We have better taste than all these other awards shows, sites, etc. We should get a little bit more time.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

If the awards were in March, I would have stood a chance to see a good percentage of the movies, but not now. No big deal. I'm just ducking out this year.

polkablues

I'm having so much deja vu right now.

Gold Trumpet

I don't care that much. It's not my deal and I don't do any leg work to have it go down, but I don't see the need to rush it for January when a number of people on this site don't live in big enough cities to get an adequate chance to watch many of the select interested movies in theaters.

I guess I can download the movies and watch them on my computer, but I'm not going to have my first experience for possibly great films be on my computer. It's ruining the experience potential.

Waiting until March does no disservice to the people who feel they have seen enough of last year's movies. We're a small site with a small group of voters and we don't matter in the scheme of award anything.

picolas

the illusionist isn't that great... really pretty, ocassionally funny, but kinda.. empty.

Sleepless

Guess I'll have to abstain this year then. Have fun.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

picolas

Sleepless

I'm sure. Hopefully I'll be caught up by final voting time.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Fernando

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on January 16, 2011, 07:05:28 PM
I don't care that much. It's not my deal and I don't do any leg work to have it go down, but I don't see the need to rush it for January when a number of people on this site don't live in big enough cities to get an adequate chance to watch many of the select interested movies in theaters.

I guess I can download the movies and watch them on my computer, but I'm not going to have my first experience for possibly great films be on my computer. It's ruining the experience potential.

Waiting until March does no disservice to the people who feel they have seen enough of last year's movies. We're a small site with a small group of voters and we don't matter in the scheme of award anything.

exactly.