►Top 25 of the 00s◄

Started by Stefen, September 23, 2009, 10:26:47 PM

Kal

Alexandro

No, but I saw Los Muertos. Frankly I'm torn about this contemplative cinema of which Lisandro Alonso and a lot of other filmmakers are representative. It's like the ideas are more interesting than the film themselves. Like any other trend there are great films and very bad ones I guess. Los Muertos was a case where I was seeing the film waiting for it to earn the kind of stillness and attention that it demanded from me. Haven't seen La Libertad but nothing I've heard about it or that I've seen in Los Muertos tells me it could be any different.

It may be that I am being simplistic but to me there are a lot of filmmakers and films out there that fit this exact mold and I call them "the slow ones". There have been some slow movies in this vein I've loved from the last decade: Reygadas's Silent Light, the Gus van Sant trilogy of death (specially Gerry), Amat Escalante's Los Bastardos, Lucrecia Martell's La Cienaga. I mildly enjoyed Tropical Malady and I guess Los Muertos too. I can say I even enjoyed those more than the films by Kiarostami that influenced them. Yet there are some really exasperating movies out there from the same school, like Jarmusch's Limits of Control, and there was another one I saw called Clouds of May. Reygadas's Battle in Heaven was hell on earth actually, and Lake Tahoe. I have a special noticing of these movies because there is a substantial movement in Mexico and latinamerica of young filmmakers doing this kind of thing, but it almost always sucks because they don't seem to know why they're doing it except being contrarian to the usual narrative formula, and the results are pretty empty or tiresome.

About the list, it's refreshing in a way to see different titles...

classical gas

has anyone seen the second film, In Vanda's Room

it looks heavy. and some sites have it listed as a documentary and some as a fictitious film.

Robyn

There will be Blood
Into the Wild
Candy
Ethernal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Punch-Drunk Love
Kill Bill: Vol. 1/Vol. 2
The Squid and the Whale
Donnie Darko

Battle Royale
Zodiac
Amelie
Gladiator
Lost in Translation
Monday
Inglourious Basterds
Oldboy

The Dark Knight
Two Lovers
Mulholland Dr
Ocean's Eleven
The Assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford
Moon
Death Proof
Adaptation
Adams æbler
Pineapple Express

Yeah, I know..

Pubrick

Quote from: KarlJan on April 19, 2010, 04:22:39 PM
Yeah, I know..

pretty crap list.

but i'm guessing you're in your mid-to-late teens so that makes it alrite.. for now.

if you're wondering how i know, some dead give-aways: candy, gladiator, QUADRUPLE tarantino.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

Quote from: Stefen on April 19, 2010, 09:12:47 PM
Don't forget Donald Dorko!

haha yeah but then i would've had to include the whole list. that film falls into the category of Amelie, Battle Royale and Oldboy in that it's a fanboy favourite that could IN THEORY still be included in a list for sentimental value. a better way to group dude's list is that it's filled with either gratuitous violence (a teen trademark and an extension of his Tarantino obsession) and romantic idealist films -- the last relics of puberty's hormone overload.

the few redeeming titles are exactly what would hav brought karljan to this site. it's a good sign that he senses value in PTA, Mully D, and (forgetting Eternal Sunshine for a sec) Zodiac.. altho it's tempting to break those downs into predictable behaviour. zodiac and CMBB could be seen as an extension of his lust for blood-smeared-in-a-slick-fashion, PDL as the "quirky romantic", leaving Mully D as the exception which would seem legitimate were it not for the support it has in Donnie Darko and Adaptation -- the combination of these movies (along with Eternal Sunshine) screams out an interest in unconventional narratives, and that's great, unless oldmate calls them all "trippy".

it's actually a great list in terms of reflecting his personality. i'm not trying to flame the poor newb. it just strikes me as one of the most perfect teenage-boy lists i've come across since i was one myself (almost ten years ago).
under the paving stones.

pete

fucking that's fucking harsh.  at least talk to the boy first before you go overboard with the hatred.  jesus.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pubrick

what hatred?

calm down.

i just took the list as an example of a phase we've all gone through. i sure hope the kid is more emotionally stable than you. i didn't even yell, or hurl abuse at him, "hating" him was not my intent.. he's cool as far as i'm concerned. maybe you should go lie down on a street mattress for a while..
under the paving stones.

Robyn

Quote from: P on April 19, 2010, 09:04:54 PM
Quote from: KarlJan on April 19, 2010, 04:22:39 PM
Yeah, I know..

pretty crap list.

but i'm guessing you're in your mid-to-late teens so that makes it alrite.. for now.

if you're wondering how i know, some dead give-aways: candy, gladiator, QUADRUPLE tarantino.

Yeah, I knew you guys would think so, anyway.

That's true. I'm 17.

I don't really care what you think about the movies itself. But I love all these movies passionately and it's really frustrating when you write something like you did in your other post. As if you know exactly why I like them. It is impossible for you to know. I joined this site because of PTA, and I probably love him as much as you do. Not because of the reasons you mention.

And sorry if my english is bad, i'm from sweden..

socketlevel

Old Boy is great, regardless of fanboy hype. i hope it doesn't get lumped into that group of forgettable one hit wonders P.

pretty solid list other than some glaring bad choices. keep in mind he would have been like 8 when gladiator came out, so it's seminal. it's like if i include the goonies or blood of heroes in an 80s list, cuz they would probably be there.

I really like that you put assassination of jesse james. i loved that flick, so many great performances.
the one last hit that spent you...

Pas

Fuck that, it's a defendable list. There's space for Amelie on any top 25. There's way too much Tarantino and wtf with Pineapple Express but whatever we all have weird shit on our lists (fuck, i have The Weather Man so...)

Welcome dude. Congratulations for being 17 and not a total dickhead.

New Feeling

1. Kill Bill
2. GRINDHOUSE
3. Inglourious Basterds
4. Irreversible
5. Punch Drunk Love
6. Mulholland Drive
7. Songs From the Second Floor
8. The Incredibles
9. Far From Heaven
10. The Man Who Wasn't There
11. Dogville
12. The Royal Tenenbaums
13. Synechdoche, NY
14. Inland Empire
15. Last Days
16. The Piano Teacher
17. Brown Bunny
18. The 25th Hour
19. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
20. Cache
21. Lake of Fire
22. Memento
23. Electroma
24. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
25. The Departed

There are a lot of really great movies I wish I still had room for.  And for the record I'm 30 and pretty sure that there are Tarantino fans of all ages.

Robyn

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 20, 2010, 11:43:04 AM
Fuck that, it's a defendable list. There's space for Amelie on any top 25. There's way too much Tarantino and wtf with Pineapple Express but whatever we all have weird shit on our lists (fuck, i have The Weather Man so...)

Welcome dude. Congratulations for being 17 and not a total dickhead.

I wasn't sure if I would put Death Proof on the list or not. I had a great experience seeing it when it was released, but it isn't that great if you compare it to his other stuff. Oh well...

I think Pineapple Express is hilarious. It is also one of those films that I wasn't sure off. It might not be a great movie, but the entertainment value is huge and I had a wonderful experience when I saw it for the first time.

Thanks.

Pas

Quote from: New Feeling on April 20, 2010, 12:08:16 PM
1. Kill Bill
2. GRINDHOUSE
3. Inglourious Basterds
4. Irreversible

That's just trolling though