100 Movies To See Before You Die

Started by MacGuffin, March 24, 2009, 02:23:52 PM

polkablues

Quote from: Reelist on September 03, 2011, 03:05:11 AM
Well, apparently this list only covers the past 25 years. So that explains that.

NEVER MIND, THEN.
My house, my rules, my coffee

classical gas

well i really loved "When the Levees Broke" and that was forty something...but i thought that 'super size me' was kind of a joke.  so am i wrong or are they wrong?  anyone want to defend that movie?  is it really better than 'crumb', 'capturing the friedmans', 'fahrenheit 9/11'  and 'when we were kings'?

and to be fair, i watched five minutes of 'super size me'...i saw the part where he ate at mcdonalds.  what did i miss?  the half hour he spent on the can?

Pubrick

Quote from: classical gas on September 04, 2011, 07:58:57 AM
so am i wrong or are they wrong?  anyone want to defend that movie?  is it really better than 'crumb', 'capturing the friedmans', 'fahrenheit 9/11'  and 'when we were kings'?

Don't worry about their ranking, its stupid and totally random.

Never watch super size me.
under the paving stones.

Reel

Quote from: classical gas on September 04, 2011, 07:58:57 AM
i thought that 'super size me' was kind of a joke.  so am i wrong or are they wrong?

The show was hosted by Morgan Spurlock, so it's kind of biased.

Reel

Reelist's top ten documentaries you should probably see at some point before you stop living

1. Koyaanisqatsi
2. Salesman
3. American Movie
4. Conversations with Cassavettes (not what the title suggests at all, a film about alternative bands)
5. Gimme Shelter
6. Full tilt boogie
7. Making 'The Shining'
8. That Moment
9. Overnight
10.Grey Gardens  

I might've left stuff out

JG

Gates of Heaven, American Movie, Salesman, and The Store are a few of my favorites.

Ravi

Quote from: Reelist on September 10, 2011, 06:01:31 PM
Reelist's top ten documentaries you should probably see at some point before you stop living

I only have three more to see before I can end it all.

squints

I'd throw in Harlan County, USA. That's always been one of my favs.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Reel

Quote from: Ravi on September 11, 2011, 09:46:43 PM
I only have three more to see before I can end it all.

lol.

thx for the adds, guys. My list is by no means definitive, and I've been looking for good docs to see.

theyarelegion

I would add The Thin Blue Line and The Fog of War which are both by Errol Morris and both incredible...and definitely the entire Up series that has tracked the lives of a group of English kids from various backgrounds every 7 years since they were 7...in the last installment they were 49! it's unbelievable! a must see. has anyone here seen it?