100 Movies To See Before You Die

Started by MacGuffin, March 24, 2009, 02:23:52 PM

Stefen

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on March 29, 2009, 01:55:45 PM
I've seen most of them, but the list is just a highlight reel of Hollywood's most famous. I always meet people who tell me to watch such and such film because I haven't seen it. To them (and most moviegoers) it's a classic, but I already know the film by reputation and my taste buds (not to say for the better) are beyond it. This list reminds me of that because the films on the list that I haven't seen are ones I don't care to at all. I'm not 17 anymore and eager to watch everything that has some clout of classic to it.

Pretty much my feelings exactly.

I always laugh when people say you haven't seen Rocky? It's a classic. I know what it is. There are so many other things to watch that I could probably get more from.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Neil on March 31, 2009, 09:47:02 AM
Quote from: Gold Trumpet on March 29, 2009, 03:48:46 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 29, 2009, 02:25:37 PM
Quote from: Gold Trumpet on March 29, 2009, 01:55:45 PM
I've seen most of them, but the list is just a highlight reel of Hollywood's most famous. I always meet people who tell me to watch such and such film because I haven't seen it. To them (and most moviegoers) it's a classic, but I already know the film by reputation and my taste buds (not to say for the better) are beyond it. This list reminds me of that because the films on the last that I haven't seen are ones I don't care to at all. I'm not 17 anymore and eager to watch everything that has some clout of classic to it.

god.

Haha, is that the best you can project as far as annoyance goes? If you see conceitedness on my part, call me out on it and be specific. Don't languish over posting just one word (which I could argue comes off as arrogant in itself).

oops, i forget what's at stake here...You're just not 17 any more...too old...wise in your years. Makes perfect sense to project that kind of miserable life everywhere.

it's obvious i don't have to elaborate, you do it for me.

Did you even read my post? I specifically said I had moved beyond those movies, but it wasn't necessarily for the better. When I say I had moved beyond them, that's all I meant. I chastize the list as over Hollywood, but people's interest in movies change and these movies were relics of my interest when I was 17 and over eager. Point to any part where I specifically imply people are dumber for liking these movies or that I am smarter for not. You read too much into it considering you think I also have a miserable life when I'm usually happy to admit my shortcomings of arrogance.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Stefen on March 31, 2009, 09:52:48 AM
I always laugh when people say you haven't seen Rocky? It's a classic. I know what it is. There are so many other things to watch that I could probably get more from.

Totally agree.

seriously, you should see Rocky though.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Neil on April 01, 2009, 10:12:11 AM
It seems as though most of you were so sure of things at an early age,when you grew up a little bit, you realized " Hey, what i thought at 17 was fucking ridiculous." However, your age now has somehow clouded your judgement into thinking that you know SOMETHING at this new profound age of 30 or however old you are. One day at 40 you'll probably laugh at how silly your ways were at 30. I realize that the whole "I'm not 17 anymore" is getting read into, but i believe what i said about age is true. Using "I'm not 17 anymore" as a figure of speech means nothing to me...literally, it tells me nothing, except for you think something specific about being around that age.  Beat it.

It's not that simple. Everyone experiences moments when their youth catches up to them and they realize something they liked when they were younger and wrote off a little later strikes them again later as pretty meaningful. You try to hedge me into that tier solely, but it happens to everyone. But the major point is that I am really beyond most of those films. When I said my taste didn't necessarily advance for the better, I meant it. I just consider myself ideologically beyond those films. An analogy would be someone who likes history books, but his whole vantage point changes because he starts reading Howard Zinn and Noam Chomsky. The person who believes in those two guys could never look at regular history books the same way ever again. I can't look at standard Hollywood classics the same way ever again. Just the way it is.

Quote from: Neil on April 01, 2009, 10:12:11 AM
and, it wasn't my goal to "CALL YOU OUT" or whatever the fuck you expect.  calm it.

I am pretty calm. You sound a little bothered, but I hit a pet peeve subject of yours with the age reference and you hit a pet peeve subject of mine with the glib snipe. I can't stand yours and you can't stand mine. I don't hate you or anything, but I did take you to task. Now your point is that I was wrong to put so much emphasis on the age thing without clarification. Fair enough. If I would have added that the age thing was a referral to a time when I had major ideological differences with myself then it wouldn't have come off as everyone who is 17 is just dumb.

There, you don't have to reply anymore. That's pretty much a peace offering.

Neil

Well, send me some fucking links. I'm not beyond them. I couldn't consider that the right word...At first I though, wow, this guy is a fucking hipster to the nth degree.  However, i will say i respect your boldness. I mean claiming you know this much is pretty bold. wouldn't you agree? I'm not being a dick here.  I just couldn't believe this opinion existed, however there i go slipping into my youth.  The Hegel in me knows that everything has a opposite, however that shit blows my mind out of my left ear, so i can't grasp it...and not to sound like a dick again, but it did not take Chomsky to make me realize "regular" history books were bullshit, and i grew up super sheltered, a town of 3500. I guess I'm just a skeptic, and i was skeptical that anyone would think they're beyond them, it just sounds so arrogant. but one of my best friends who passed away would always say honesty is not arrogance, it's awareness.  So, i understand, given context you've provided, you're not trying to be that way, you just sincerely believe it.  I hope this at least helps with the thought of me being bothered, or mad, or whatever.

pm me if need be
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Neil on April 01, 2009, 11:43:54 AM
Well, send me some fucking links.
I'm not sure what links I am suppose to send you?   

I'm not beyond them. I couldn't consider that the right word...

It's the right word for me. I'm just speaking for myself, but considering Die Hard is the reason why I got into movies, my reason for continuing to go see movies is just different. And I would say it has developed because I got smarter over the years so I use the word beyond, but that's just for me.

However, i will say i respect your boldness. I mean claiming you know this much is pretty bold. wouldn't you agree?

I don't claim to know anything. I think you misinterpret my position. When I say I am beyond those movies, all it means is that the reason why I go to movies are best served in movies not typically made in Hollywood. My pursuits require different aesthetics and tastes. My reason to go to movies isn't better than yours. It's just different. Movies are based on the idea that it's the one art form that it pleases all people and brings them together. It can satisfy all taste buds, but there is still differences between those taste buds. Different expectations are satisfied by different cinemas, but all these films are made by the same equipment and technicians so they are linked together.

It's how you interpret films. I think Persona is better and more valuable than Vertigo, but essays by people much smarter than me have been written about Vertigo. They value Vertigo where I don't all that much. But because there is that difference in opinion does not mean I think I am smarter or better than those people that like Vertigo. Their reasons to why Vertigo fascinates them is not on my wavelength. Usually these critics are commentators on the cultural significace of Vertigo and Hitchcock's art. Of course Persona isn't highly regarded for that reason. There are other reasons and that sphere more occupies me. 

Does that not mean I don't have any strands of arrogance? Of course not. But I believe if you find anything meaningful you should take it to heart and be serious about it. But as Detroit Tigers manager once said, "Take your job seriously, but not yourself." I think all of us try to be like that, but it's tough. But I try to be sincere and upfront with my viewpoints.

but it did not take Chomsky to make me realize "regular" history books were bullshit, and i grew up super sheltered, a town of 3500.

My point about Chomsky isn't that he is better. His main breakthrough is the way he saw history. I know historians who are smarter and more thoughtful than him. Even conservative historians, but Chomsky had a way of seeing history. And I understand what sheltered towns mean. I grew up in a town of 13,000 but only surrounded by rural countryside. The closest city of signifance was (and still is) over 5 hours away. Don't feel bad about where you come from. Just develop in film watching to your heart's content. That's all that matters. I don't at all to you.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Captain of Industry

Pas

Not too bad of a list in general. A bunch of stuff I haven't seen and will probalby check out.

I like that since they stick to the recent stuff they aren't shown to be complete fools and incults (is that an english word?)

Fernando

illiterates is probably better.

even thou I like some of those films, the list is pretty boring and im glad they excluded kubrick and malick.

Reel

Current Tv's "50 documentaries to see before you die"

1. Hoop Dreams  ( Steve James )

2. The Thin Blue Line  ( Errol Morris )

3. Roger & Me  ( Michael Moore )

4. Waltz With Bashir ( Ari Folman )

5. Super Size Me ( Morgan Spurlock )

6. The War Room ( D.A Pennebaker )

7. The Celluloid Closet  ( Rob Epstein )

8. An Inconvenient Truth ( Davis Guggenheim )

9. Trouble the Water ( Tia Lessin )

10. Grizzly Man ( Werner Herzog )

11. Paris is Burning ( Jenni Livingston )  

12. Bowling for Columbine ( Michael Moore )

13. The Fog of War ( Errol Morris )

14. Dark Days ( Marc Singer )

15. Crumb  ( Terry Zwigoff )

16. Bus 174  ( Felipe Lacerda )

17. Street Fight ( Marshall Curry )

18. Food, Inc. ( Robert Kenner )

19. Touching the Void  ( Kevin Macdonald )

20. Capturing the Friedmans ( Andrew Jarecki )

21. Exit Through the Gift Shop ( Banksy )

22. Dixie Chicks: Shut Up & Sing ( Barbara Kopple, Cecilia Peck )

23. The Eyes of Tammy Faye ( Randy Barbato )

24. Paradise Lost - The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills  ( Bruce Sinofsky, Joe Berlinger )

25. Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room ( Alex Gibney )

26. Murderball ( Dana Adam Shapiro )

27. Tarnation  ( Jonathan Caouette )

28. Gasland  ( Josh Fox )

29. Man on Wire  ( James Marsh )

30. Fahrenheit 9/11 ( Michael Moore )

31. Jesus Camp ( Heidi Ewing )

32. Dogtown and Z-Boys ( Stacy Peralta )

33. Tongues Untied  ( Marlon Riggs )

34. Brother's Keeper ( Bruce Sinofsky )

35. Paragraph 175  ( Rob Epstein )

36. Taxi To the Dark Side ( Alex Gibney )

37. Inside Job ( Charles Ferguson )

38. March of the Penguins ( Luc Jacquet )

39. Biggie & Tupac ( Nick Broomfield )

40. When We Were Kings ( Leon Gast )

41. The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters ( Seth Gordon )

42. Catfish ( Ariel Schulman, Henry Joost )

43. When the Levees Broke: A Requiem In Four Acts ( Spike Lee )

44. Burma VJ: Reporting from a Closed Country ( Anders Østergaard )

45. The Decline of Western Civilization Part II-The Metal Years ( Penelope Spheeris )

46. Little Dieter Needs to Fly ( Werner Herzog )

47. One Day in September ( Kevin Macdonald )

48. The Kid Stays in the Picture ( Nanette Burstein )

49. Madonna - Truth or Dare ( Alek Keshishian )

50. Spellbound ( Jeffrey Blitz )

I've seen 28 of them, the best find so far has been "Paradise Lost," no question. If these are any good, I'd like to see more of them. What can people recommend, including stuff that's not on the list? My favorite that is on it is "The Decline of Western Civilization Part 2: The Metal Years." I would personally add "Koyaanisqatsi,"  if it's not a documentary, then what is it? I'm gonna go watch "The Thin Blue Line" now.

pete

probably the best list I've seen - not that I agree with it (no maysles brothers really?) - but I think when you're making a list of 50 compelling documentaries, you'll find great things no matter what.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

polkablues

No "Salesman", no "Titticut Follies". INVALIDATED.

EDIT: And no "Night and Fog". UNCONSCIONABLE.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reel

Quote from: pete on September 03, 2011, 02:39:53 AM
(no maysles brothers really?)

I was just going to address that, how could they leave out the kings of documentary film? Pathetic.

Well, apparently this list only covers the past 25 years. So that explains that.