2008 Golden Globes

Started by MacGuffin, December 13, 2007, 01:04:42 AM

MacGuffin

SAG: Actors likely to snub Golden Globes

Golden Globe-nominated actors are expected to snub the awards in support of striking Hollywood writers, the actors union said Friday, jeopardizing one of the entertainment industry's signature showcases.

NBC, however, said it was sticking by its plans to air the Jan. 13 ceremony, despite the uncertainty about how much — if any — star power the Globes could muster.

"The network plans to move forward with the broadcast at this point," NBC spokeswoman Rebecca Marks said, adding that it has yet to be determined which actors will participate.

Screen Actors Guild President Alan Rosenberg made the announcement after canvassing nominees during the past several weeks.

"There appears to be unanimous agreement that these actors will not cross" the picket lines to present or accept an award, he said in a prepared statement.

The Hollywood Foreign Press Association, which organizes the awards, said it was wrestling with the "unfortunate predicament."

"We are making every effort to work out a solution that will permit the Golden Globes to take place with the creative community present to participate," Jorge Camara, the group's president, said in a statement.

The association hoped to announce a resolution Monday, Camara said.

The writers strike, which began Nov. 5, has broad implications for the way Hollywood does business. Whatever deal is struck by writers on payment for shows offered on the Internet could affect talks with actors and directors, whose contracts expire next June.

The Golden Globes show brings in a reported $5 million for the association and millions more in advertising revenue for NBC.

On Friday, a dozen publicity firms representing what they called a majority of Golden Globe-nominated actors, writers and directors, as well as many stars invited to appear as presenters, released a letter sent to NBC Universal Chief Executive Jeff Zucker.

"After much discussion with our clients, we have concluded the vast majority of the talent we represent are not comfortable crossing a picket line," the letter said.

The stars would appear only if NBC and dick clark productions, which produces the show, reaches an interim agreement with the writers guild, the publicists told Zucker.

The Clark company lashed out at the guild in a statement Friday, citing repeated efforts to reach an interim agreement akin to the union deal with another independent company, Worldwide Pants, which produces David Letterman's show.

"We are disappointed that the WGA has refused to bargain with us in good faith. It is apparent that we are being treated differently from similarly situated production companies," the Clark company said.

An e-mail request for guild comment was not immediately answered.

Meanwhile, writers guild President Patric M. Verrone lauded the move by actors and said the "entire awards show season is being put in jeopardy by the intransigence of a few big media corporations."

In his statement, Verrone urged studios to resume talks that broke off Dec. 7.

The Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, which represents the studios in negotiations, did not immediately respond to an e-mail request for comment.

The Writers Guild of America had refused to grant a waiver to allow its members to work on the Globes, the People's Choice Awards and the prestigious Academy Awards.

A total of 72 actors are among this year's Golden Globe nominees. The Hollywood Foreign Press Association has repeatedly tried to seek the blessing of the writers guild.

The actors union said previously that the choice to attend was a personal one that its members would make for themselves.

In his statement Friday, Rosenberg also weighed in on the late-night talk shows, which are back on the air. Some are working without writers, while others made deals with the writers guild.

Rosenberg stopped short of pressing actors to skip the picketed shows, like Jay Leno's "Tonight."

"We urge our members to appear on the two programs that have independent agreements with the WGA, 'The Late Show with David Letterman' and `Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson,'" he said.

Actors who appear on other shows have to cross picket lines, he said.

That creates "the same situation that has led to the consensus among actors to skip the Golden Globes," Rosenberg said.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Golden Globes axed, replaced by press conference: LA Times

This year's Golden Globes ceremony is to be cancelled after actors vowed to boycott the event in support of striking Hollywood writers, the Los Angeles Times reported on its website on Monday.

The Times, citing an email sent by broadcasters to studios, reported that the traditional televised dinner and prize presentation had been scrapped in favor of a press conference and a scaled-back red carpet event.

The fate of the Golden Globes -- due to be held in Beverly Hills on Sunday -- had been hanging in the balance ever since striking writers vowed to erect picket lines around the awards show last week.

On Friday, the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) announced that its members would not cross picket lines set up by writers, who are locked in a bitter dispute with film and television producers.

The actors union's decision immediately called into question plans for the black-tie dinner and awards presentations which are normally televised live by US broadcaster NBC.

According to the Times report, the Golden Globes' organisers the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) had reached a compromise deal that would allow winners to receive their awards informally on Sunday.

The victors would then be announced in a televised press conference instead of the usual ceremony.

Hollywood screenwriters have been on strike since November 5 after the WGA and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP) failed to agree terms for a new contract that expired in October.

Negotiations have foundered over the writers' demands for an increased share of profits from Internet and new media sales.

The two-month strike has forced the suspension of numerous television series as well as the postponement of work on several Hollywood films.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Fernando

Quote from: Stefen on January 07, 2008, 05:30:56 PM
haha.

On the other hand, our chance to see PTA giving a speech if he wins something just went down the drain, which reminded me of this...

Bart: People, people!  It's time we all discussed the pool safety rules!
Kids: Jump, Bart, jump!  Jump, Bart, jump!
Bart: You got it!
Nelson: Hey, Bart!  Your epidermis is showing.
Bart: It is? [Bart falls, starts yelling]
Nelson: See, "epidermis" means your hair. So technically it's true. That's what makes it so funny.
Pardon me a moment --[at Bart] Ha ha!
Milhouse: Hey Nelson, he's really hurt.  I think he broke his leg.
Nelson: I said, "Ha ha"!

Stefen

I'm not a Simpsons fan but I appreciate that episode. That's the rear window'ish episode, right?

And PTA ain't winning no Golden Globe. Auteurs like him don't win Golden Globe's. They lose them.

We shouldn't want him to win one either. That would mean he's sold out and started catering to the masses.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

edison

BEST MOTION PICTURE, DRAMA
"American Gangster"
"Atonement" (Winner)
"Eastern Promises"
"The Great Debaters"
"Michael Clayton"
"No Country for Old Men"
"There Will Be Blood"

BEST MOTION PICTURE, MUSICAL OR COMEDY
"Across the Universe"
"Charlie Wilson's War"
"Hairspray"
"Juno"
"Sweeney Todd" (Winner)

FOREIGN LANGUAGE PICTURE
"4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days" (Romania)
"The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" (France/USA)(Winner)
"The Kite Runner" (USA)
"Lust, Caution" (Taiwan)
"Persepolis" (France)

BEST DIRECTOR
Tim Burton, "Sweeney Todd"
Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men"
Julian Schnabel, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" (Winner)
Ridley Scott, "American Gangster"
Joe Wright, "Atonement"

BEST DRAMATIC ACTOR
George Clooney, "Michael Clayton"
Daniel Day-Lewis, "There Will Be Blood" (Winner)
James McAvoy, "Atonement"
Viggo Mortensen, "Eastern Promises"
Denzel Washington, "American Gangster"

BEST DRAMATIC ACTRESS
Cate Blanchett, "Elizabeth: The Golden Age"
Julie Christie, "Away From Her" (Winner)
Jodie Foster, "The Brave One"
Angelina Jolie, "A Mighty Heart"
Keira Knightley, "Atonement"

BEST ACTOR, COMEDY OR MUSICAL
Johnny Depp, "Sweeney Todd" (Winner)
Tom Hanks, "Charlie Wilson's War"
Ryan Gosling, "Lars and the Real Girl"
Philip Seymour Hoffman, "The Savages"
John C. Reilly, "Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story"

BEST ACTRESS, COMEDY OR MUSICAL
Amy Adams, "Enchanted"
Nikki Blonsky, "Hairspray"
Helena Bonham Carter, "Sweeney Todd"
Marion Cotillard, "La Vie en Rose" (Winner)
Ellen Page, "Juno"

SUPPORTING ACTOR
Casey Affleck, "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford"
Javier Bardem, "No Country for Old Men" (Winner)
Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Charlie Wilson's War"
John Travolta, "Hairspray"
Tom Wilkinson, "Michael Clayton"

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Cate Blanchett, "I'm Not There" (Winner)
Saoirse Ronan, "Atonement"
Julia Roberts, "Charlie Wilson's War"
Amy Ryan, "Gone Baby Gone"
Tilda Swinton, "Michael Clayton"

ANIMATED FILM
"Bee Movie"
"Ratatouille"(Winner)
"The Simpsons Movie"

SCREENPLAY
Diablo Cody, "Juno"
Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men" (Winner)
Christopher Hampton, "Atonement"
Ronald Harwood, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"
Aaron Sorkin, "Charlie Wilson's War"

ORIGINAL SCORE
Dario Marianelli, "Atonement"(Winner)
Howard Shore, "Eastern Promises"
Clint Eastwood, "Grace Is Gone"
Michael Brook, Kaki King, Eddie Vedder, "Into the Wild"
Alberto Iglesias, "The Kite Runner"

SONG
"Despedida" from "Love in the Time of Cholera"
"Grace Is Gone" from "Grace Is Gone"
"Guaranteed" from "Into the Wild" (Winner)
"That's How You Know" from "Enchanted"
"Walk Hard" from "Walk Hard"

TELEVISION CATEGORIES

DRAMATIC TV SERIES
"Big Love"
"Damages"
"Grey's Anatomy"
"House"
"Mad Men"(Winner)
"The Tudors"

BEST ACTOR, TV DRAMA
Michael C. Hall, "Dexter"
John Hamm, "Mad Men" (Winner)
Hugh Laurie, "House"
Jonathan Rhys Meyers, "The Tudors"
Bill Paxton, "Big Love"

BEST ACTRESS, TV DRAMA
Patricia Arquette, "Medium"
Glenn Close, "Damages" (Winner)
Minnie Driver, "The Riches"
Edie Falco, "The Sopranos"
Sally Field, "Brothers and Sisters"
Holly Hunter, "Saving Grace"
Kyra Sedgwick, "The Closer"

TV SERIES, MUSICAL OR COMEDY
"Californication"
"Entourage"
"Extras" (Winner)
"30 Rock"
"Pushing Daisies"

BEST ACTOR, TV MUSICAL OR COMEDY
Alec Baldwin, "30 Rock"
Steve Carell, "The Office"
David Duchovny, "Californication" (Winner)
Ricky Gervais, "Extras"
Lee Pace, "Pushing Daisies"

BEST ACTRESS, TV MUSICAL OR COMEDY
Christina Applegate, "Samantha Who?"
America Ferrera, "Ugly Betty"
Tina Fey, "30 Rock"(Winner)
Anna Friel, "Pushing Daisies"
Mary-Louise Parker, "Weeds"

BEST MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
"Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee"
"The Company"
"5 Days"
"The State Within"
"Longford" (Winner)

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A MINISERIES OR A MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
Bryce Dallas Howard, "As You Like It"
Debra Messing, "The Starter Wife"
Queen Latifah, "Life Support" (Winner)
Sissy Spacek, "Pictures of Hollis Woods"
Ruth Wilson, "Jane Eyre"

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A MINISERIES OR A MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
Adam Beach, "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee"
Ernest Borgnine, "A Grandpa for Christmas"
Jim Broadbent, "Longford" (Winner)
Jason Isaacs, "The State Within"
James Nesbitt, "Jekyll"

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A SERIES, MINISERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
Rose Byrne, "Damages"
Rachel Griffiths, "Brothers and Sisters"
Katherine Heigl, "Grey's Anatomy"
Samantha Morton, "Longford"(Winner)
Anna Paquin, "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee"
Jaime Pressly, "My Name Is Earl"

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A SERIES, MINISERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
Ted Danson, "Damages"
Kevin Dillon, "Entourage"
Jeremy Piven, "Entourage" (Winner)
Andy Serkis, "Longford"
William Shatner, "Boston Legal"
Donald Sutherland, "Dirty Sexy Money"

modage

DDL won for Best Actor but not Blood for Best Picture (atonewho?)  no noms for directing/writing/score means the Globes are a total joke to begin with. 

fuck them.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

hedwig

yeah that sucks. same bullshit as every year but without the fun of watching the show. oh well, glad to see all the schnabel recognition. :yabbse-thumbup:

i'm really looking forward to DDL's oscar speech.

Gold Trumpet

Who cares about the movies. You can't get mad over shit you already expected, but I kinda want to watch Mad Men now. The previews looked great but I never got around to watching the show. I hate to say the Golden Globes are motivation for me to watch anything, but they might just be.

Stefen

RegularKarate

Other than the obvious TWBB dissing, I'm not as mortified by these as I normally am.
Will Samantha Morton get Oscar dissed too?  Yes

B.C. Long

Aren't the Golden Globe winners usually a pretty good indication of what will win at the Oscars? If so, then expect CMBB to be shafted again. But really, who gives a shit anyways? It took Scorsese 1010312024 films to finally get recognized.

picolas

i heard only 10 or 11 people actually vote for the globes. seriously. no country is the front-runner for the oscs.

Gold Trumpet

Focus on the guild victories for good idea of who and what will win at the Oscars. The producers guild nominations were just announced. That will be the lead up to Oscar's Best Picture winner. Golden Globes don't do well to predict Oscar.