The Door in the Floor

Started by ono, March 21, 2004, 11:24:15 PM

ono

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0348593/

Well, well, well, Jeff Bridges is at it again, with "OSCAR WINNING" actress Kim Basinger (betcha can't say THAT with a straight face -- hehe).  Anyhoo, Jeff Bridges is one of my favorite actors.  This trailer, for some uncanny reason, reminded me of the most random of films -- L.I.E., maybe a smattering of Lantana, Love and Death on Long Island (which I haven't even seen), or I don't know, all those potboiler type thrillers, marginal films that seem promising at the time, but don't do much more than linger in the back of your mind.  I guess it was something about the cinematography, mood, and subject matter, which the trailer was very careful to be vague about, which can only make one think that this movie isn't gonna be near as good as you've been led to believe.  Either way, though, I'm intrigued.  Anyone else?

And, side note, I find it quite odd IMDb calls it Door in the Floor, while if I recall correctly, the trailer I saw had "The" on the front.

GoneSavage

I read the book a few years ago, called "Widow for One Year" by John Irving.  The book was very good.  The trailer I saw didn't seemed focused on what the book was mainly about, so we'll see how faithful the movie aims to be.  So far, not very, as they've already decided to rename it.

I'll see it.  Jeff Bridges is in it.

Ghostboy

'Simon Birch' redux, I wonder?

Ravi

Quote from: Ghostboy'Simon Birch' redux, I wonder?

John Irving wrote the novel on which Door in the Floor is based, as well as A Prayer for Owen Meany, so it could be.

Finn

It's good to see another John Irving adaptation on the screen. There hasn't been one in a while.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Chest Rockwell

This was one of my favorite trailors at Eternal Sunshine. Looks interesting enough.

NEON MERCURY

i don't like how the title rhymes.....

the last film w/a rhyming title was the cat in the hat that i remeber..and it sucked so  don't expect much from a movie w/a rhyming title..........un.....less someone can think of one that actually was good......

MacGuffin

Quote from: NEON MERCURYdon't expect much from a movie w/a rhyming title..........un.....less someone can think of one that actually was good......

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

GoneSavage

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: NEON MERCURYdon't expect much from a movie w/a rhyming title..........un.....less someone can think of one that actually was good......

Now you're talking!  Fucking ace, man.  I've got the first one in the HUGE old-timey oversized VHS box.

Henry Hill

i am not a fan of the title, but it was a book so its forgiven. it looks like it could be good, but of course could also be bad.

Pedro

it seems like the trailer is a bad representation of what could be a very good film

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Finn

Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Pubrick

Quote from: QuoyleVery interesting ugly poster...
under the paving stones.