The Killing

Started by RegularKarate, April 04, 2011, 02:05:51 PM

MacGuffin

'The Killing' Cancelled Again by AMC
Source: Variety

AMC has once again taken an ax to "The Killing."

A rep for AMC confirmed, "We have made the difficult decision not to move forward with a fourth season of 'The Killing.' We want to thank our great partners at Fox Television Studios, creator Veena Sud, an extraordinary cast and the dedicated fans who watched."

Show, based on the Danish drama "Forbrydelsen" and created by Veena Sud, starred Mireille Enos and Joel Kinnaman as a pair of Seattle detectives trying to find the killer of a teenage girl.

"The Killing" was cancelled by AMC last summer but, thanks to a cost-effective deal between the network, Netflix and Fox TV Studios, AMC ordered a 12-episode third season of the drama in January, and rolled out the new segs in June.

"The Killing's" return to AMC this summer, however, did not see a ratings lift, and the drama drew fewer viewers in its season three run than it did in season two. Season three of "The Killing" failed to crack the 2 million viewer mark in live broadcasts, and routinely fell below 1.5 million total viewers in recent episodes.

Fox TV Studios said in a statement: "We are extremely proud of all three seasons of 'The Killing.' We're especially gratified to have orchestrated a unique deal with AMC for season three that included a bold partnership with Netflix. While we would have loved to produce a fourth season for AMC, FTVS is immensely grateful to everyone involved with this moving series: our brilliant cast, led by Mireille Enos, Joel Kinnaman and season three's Peter Sarsgaard, our stellar executive producer, Veena Sud, a remarkable writing and producing team, and a tireless, dedicated crew. Most of all, FTVS thanks the terrific fans of 'The Killing,' who communicated their appreciation for the show throughout its run.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

Not surprising in the least. The end of Season 3 was almost designed to make a Season 4 impossible, or impossibly bad.

Season 3 spoilers:

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on August 06, 2013, 12:06:44 AMNot particularly interested in a season where Linden is on trial. They may have significantly reduced the chance for renewal with that ending, because I can't envision a resolution that's not either boring and dumb (Linden on trial) or expedient and dumb (suddenly finding sufficient evidence on Skinner, or Holder lying about what happened).

Jeremy Blackman

Apparently Netflix has picked up Season 4...

http://www.avclub.com/article/netflix-picks-up-a-fourth-season-of-the-killing-th-105700

Netflix is giving the somewhat-loved crime drama The Killing a fourth season, taking the show over from AMC—a network that already canceled The Killing twice. (After the first cancellation, The Killing was rescued by way of a joint distribution deal with AMC and Netflix.) According to The Hollywood Reporter, Netflix has ordered six new episodes that it will bill as the show's "final season," operating under the delusion that this adequate thriller will ever cease to exist. Netflix released the news late on a Friday afternoon, suggesting that the online service acquired The Killing during a late-night original-entertainment bender and is now trying to keep its drunk-dial dealings as quiet as possible. It is essentially the same scenario that led to Netflix's acquisition of Derek.

Jeremy Blackman

Just noticed this on Netflix:

A Netflix Original
The Killing
Season 4 Begins August 1

The Past Can't Be Washed Away

[This synopsis is mildly spoilerish.]

It all comes down to this: the fourth and final season of the critically acclaimed crime thriller is a six-episode Netflix original that wraps up loose ends and reveals long-buried secrets. Detectives Linden and Holder return to investigate a gruesome mass slaying that exposes a dark family history, while trying to cover up a crime they committed.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

Wow, that was a breath of fresh air.

I thought The Killing had achieved its potential in Season 3, but Season 4 was decidedly better. This is an unreserved recommendation. Go to Netflix and watch it. It's only 6 episodes and absolutely feels like a full season. I think it might even work great for first-time viewers. I definitely would not recommend binge-watching, though.

Season 4 is a bit less bleak and significantly less grimy than Season 3, and even more artfully done. The editor is obviously enjoying the lack of constraints; each episode has room to breathe and brood and develop. There's a new case, and it's a beautifully constructed story that pays off without any cheapness. Joan Allen is razor sharp and has a depth that makes her a worthy successor to Skarsgard.

The finale is directed by Jonathan Demme! And it's so good.

I don't even want to get into spoilers. I'll discuss the details if someone else has seen it, but there's not much to say except "that was pretty great, wasn't it?"

bigperm

Just echoing everything JB said, season 4 was a great wrap up and honestly felt like 12 episodes. Totally worthy finish, so glad we got to see it sent off proper. Demme! Good stuff.
Safe As Milk

Brando

Season 4 is by far the best season. Having only six episodes really helped the show. It forced the writers to keep everything simple. The genre really needs to be under 10 episodes for a season.

The best part about the season was for the first time Lindon and Holder were the centerpiece to the show. In previous seasons, the show focused on the investigation. They tried to have Lindon and Holder interesting enough to at least share the lead with the investigation but it never worked. The investigation always won out. This season was all about Lindon and Holder with the investigation just complimenting the main storyline. I really liked how they dealt Lindon and Holder's breakdowns over the season.

The murder scene was really disturbing. The show never really accomplished that before.

There were some Cons. It was way too obvious how Reddick's investigation was going to play out. You knew every time he showed up on screen he was going to accidentally stumble across a huge clue. Every time Skinner's daughter was on screen, the camera immediately focused on her hand wearing the ring. They had her wear a backpack just so she could hold the straps. It would have been nice to have his investigation be slow and subtle.

If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Tictacbk

So if I only watched the first season can I just jump to the 4th? Or do I have to watch everything between...

Brando

Quote from: Tictacbk on August 12, 2014, 09:42:21 PM
So if I only watched the first season can I just jump to the 4th? Or do I have to watch everything between...

You can skip season 2. You should give season 3 a shot. If not, you can get by with reading a summary of season 3 then just watching season 4.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Jeremy Blackman

I concur. Skip Season 2, or maybe just watch the finale. The conclusion of the mystery is actually pretty great, it's just getting there that's dumb.

Season 3 is really solid super-bleak television, so watch it if you want that. I'm not sure I would re-watch it, but I certainly don't regret it.

Season 4 does pick up where 3 left off, and they are sort of twin seasons, and it's hard for me to tell if it does enough recapping, but it probably does; you always seem to be an attentive viewer. Or we could fill you in if something is missing.

Tictacbk

Copy that, thanks.  I suppose I can give season 3 a shot.