The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

InTylerWeTrust

Quote from: squints on August 03, 2012, 01:00:16 AM
Quote from: InTylerWeTrust on August 02, 2012, 03:21:29 PM
Because just like Howard Hughes, L. Ron Hubbard liked the dessert... He spent sometime (Again, just like Hughes) riding bikes in the desert.

"I like the dessert, is clean" - Howard Hughes.

"I like the dessert, is delicious." - Squints.

I was really really Hungry...
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

children with angels

Quote from: MrBurgerKing on August 02, 2012, 02:31:17 PM
wow thats amazing, I didn't see that.

does anyone know why philip seymour hoffman rides a motorcycle? that seemed a bit random in the trailer. is it something about achieving mental freedom?

Because just like Howard Hughes, L. Ron Hubbard liked the desert... He spent sometime (Again, just like Hughes) riding bikes in the desert.

Yes, that's what I figured too; on that front, it also immediately brought to mind Melvin and Howard, which I believe is one of PTA's favourites.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

InTylerWeTrust

Quote from: children with angels on August 03, 2012, 03:03:05 PM

does anyone know why philip seymour hoffman rides a motorcycle? that seemed a bit random in the trailer. is it something about achieving mental freedom?

Because just like Howard Hughes, L. Ron Hubbard liked the desert... He spent sometime (Again, just like Hughes) riding bikes in the desert.

Yes, that's what I figured too; on that front, it also immediately brought to mind Melvin and Howard, which I believe is one of PTA's favourites.

Yeah... We've already talked about the "Melvin and Howard" references..

There's also so much HARD EIGHT and BOOGIE NIGHTS in that movie... So many shots that PTA "borrowed". 

I don't know who's in charge here but I propose that we start a "Xixax References/Connections" thread. Kinda like IMDB connections but BETTER, because IMDB connections fucking SUCKS. I've sent a ton of references and they NEVER post them, even if they are obvious.

Like the way BOOGIE NIGHTS begins like 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY or how Matt Damon's and Dicaprio's police training in THE DEPARTED is an exact replica of Jodie Foster's training in SILENCE OF THE LAMBS (Literally shot by shot, check it out). 

So, what do you guys say if we compile all the references we got for THE MASTER and put it all together in a thread specifically for that? 

everythingtarantino

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Brando

After reading the newest post on Cigs and Redvines about the possibility of The Master being screened at select theaters with 70 mm projectors, I found this site. (http://www.redballoon.net/current70mmus.html) It's supposedly a list of theaters in the US with projectors that can play 70mm 5perf film.  Hopefully this accurate and Hopefully the film plays near you at one of these theaters.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

MacGuffin

Quote from: InTylerWeTrust on August 03, 2012, 03:15:15 PM
So, what do you guys say if we compile all the references we got for THE MASTER and put it all together in a thread specifically for that?

That's fine. AFTER the film is released. This way we can separate it from this thread and not be so spoilerful for those who have to see it.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

InTylerWeTrust

Quote from: MacGuffin on August 03, 2012, 06:25:48 PM

That's fine. AFTER the film is released. This way we can separate it from this thread and not be so spoilerful for those who have to see it.

Yeah, that's why I said it. I feel like all these references and stuff might bother some people. So it's best to separate them from the thread.

BTW I got 2 more (NEW and OBSCURE) references that I just found today (I've been watching nothing but European movies for the last 2 fucking weeks  :yabbse-thumbup:).  I'll save every reference I find and I'll start posting them once we've all seen the film.

But at least let's indulge in some old references shall we...

Cloudy

I'm seriously bummed that the creator of that TWBB analysis preview didn't follow through...what a tease.

HeywoodRFloyd

Quote from: children with angels on August 03, 2012, 03:03:05 PM

Yeah... We've already talked about the "Melvin and Howard" references..

There's also so much HARD EIGHT and BOOGIE NIGHTS in that movie... So many shots that PTA "borrowed". 

I don't know who's in charge here but I propose that we start a "Xixax References/Connections" thread. Kinda like IMDB connections but BETTER, because IMDB connections fucking SUCKS. I've sent a ton of references and they NEVER post them, even if they are obvious.

Like the way BOOGIE NIGHTS begins like 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY

The way Boogie Nights begins like 2001: A Space Odyssey.. How so?
I always felt that There Will Be Blood began like 2001: A Space Odyssey, as everyone knows in both films not a word is spoken for a very long time, but the key comparison is that just as the Apes find their "tool" so does Daniel Plainview (He draws the pulley system on the notepad), Just as 2001: A Space Odyssey's opening depicts the turning point for humanity, TWBB's opening the turn of the century for prospectors, so on so forth

Your references are a treat InTylerWeTrust, good digging!

InTylerWeTrust

Quote from: HeywoodRFloyd on August 03, 2012, 07:29:23 PM

The way Boogie Nights begins like 2001: A Space Odyssey.. How so?

Both movies begin with a BLACK SCREEN (that lasts a while) and Eerie mysterious music playing.... and then there's an explosion of audio and visuals. I actually think it's pretty obvious PTA was referencing Kubrick.

But yeah those 15 minutes of silence at the beginning of TWBB are obviously inspired by the beginning of "2001"

A couple more BOOGIE NIGHTS references:

That shot when Burt Reynolds is reading the article about Dirk and the Camera like "flies" INTO the magazine. It's inspired by a shot in De Palma's "BODY DOUBLE".

Also that scene of Don Cheadle at the bank going "I'm an actor! I'm an actor!" is also "borrowed" from BODY DOUBLE.  Also the way Little Bill finds his wife having sex with someone else is inspired by BODY DOUBLE. Seriously, go check that movie out. It's not De Palma's best but it has lots of BOOGIE NIGHTS references.

Another De Palma reference in BN, is the opening scene. The way the camera moves around the club and the music that plays seems to be mimicking the "Strip club scene" (The scene where Pacino finds out his girl is stripping at a club and Cheryl Linn's "Got to be real" plays) in Carlito's way.

Shit, that's probably where Paul got the idea of casting LUIS GUZMAN as "Maurice". 

EDIT:  LOL, I just realized we're thread-Jackin' like a motherfucker... We really need to take this somewhere else  :ponder:

Cloudy

QuoteYour references are a treat InTylerWeTrust, good digging!

I feel the same. Obviously some spoilers are kind of sucking for me since I'm abstaining from all trailers. But I'm interested for sure. It's gonna be fun once we all see the film!

Pubrick

I butchered some of the most revelatory posts out of this thread and made a new place where we can seriously discuss some themes and references ..

http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=12254.0

The reasoning behind it is excellent about the meaning of all these things. the marketing material is already OVERFLOWING with fodder for analysis.. are we just fanboys or are there only a few of us who are feeling PTA's wavelength a bit stronger than others.

I believe PTA has total control over the material released so far and so it is fair game to talk about the ideas he wants to get across before the movie comes out. For this reason discussion about the script is not allowed, that is not canon.

My other hope for this place is a bit more ambitious.. So bear with me as i rant a little.. As much as i hate name dropping this dude it's the only name anyone here seems to recognise in terms of serious discussion: basically, WE should be the Rob Agers of PTA. Who else is better suited? Right now we're at risk of becoming more like the Harry Knowles. If we can birth one filmmaker who's doing it big (Ghostboy) why can't we at least use our knowledge of PTA to enlighten the webs on our favourite subject now that we'll be getting more traffic? And why wait until PTA is a rotting corpse to start seriously analysing his work? it doesn't have to be boring like a pretentious film study essay, it can be fun too.

and it only enhances everyone's appreciation for the films
under the paving stones.

HeywoodRFloyd

OH MY GOD!
First public screening of Paul Thomas Anderson's 'The Master' happening right now in Santa Monica!
http://www.hitfix.com/in-contention/first-public-screening-of-paul-thomas-andersons-the-master-happening-right-now-in-santa-monica

"Anyone who happened to be on hand at the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica this evening for the American Cinematheque unveiling of a new DCP of Stanley Kubrick's "The Shining" was treated to quite the exciting surprise: the first public screening of Paul Thomas Anderson's "The Master."

A source at the event tells me that, prior to the screening, personnel announced that there would be a "secret screening" following the event and that anyone who'd like to stay was more than welcome. When the lights came up after the closing credits of Kubrick's icy horror staple, attendees were told the secret film was Anderson's much anticipated opus (which will screen at the Toronto, Venice and maybe Telluride and Fantastic Fest film festivals next month).

The film is being shown in 70mm, the director's preferred format of exhibition for "The Master" and one that has reportedly caused issues in lining up both commercial and festival exhibition. Anderson is in attendance (along with wife Maya Rudolph).
Recently there has been a lot of activity around Anderson's film, which tackles (though not explicitly) L. Ron Hubbard and the rise of Scientology. After landing slots at the previously mentioned Venice and Toronto film festivals, The Weinstein Company pulled the release date of the film up to September 14.

Gotta love the guy. He doesn't go the traditional route. Popping the film on unsuspecting cinema lovers (Who else would be at a Cinematheque screening of "The Shining?") is pure PTA.

So here's to you lucky folks seated in the Aero right now soaking up the latest from one of the best working filmmakers today. It makes me feel even worse that I'm way over here in some Holiday Inn north of Mobile, Alabama. I'll try to get some thoughts on the film out of my source after the screening.

Meanwhile, do what you can to help Anderson exhibit the film in 70mm. "Definitive P.T. Anderson resource" Cigarettes & Red Vines has some ideas. I've had the opportunity to see a few films in the format in my time and it really is glorious. I can't wait to see what he's done with it.

"The Master" opens September 14."

So Jealous/Envious Right Now!!

Reel

Quote from: HeywoodRFloyd on August 04, 2012, 01:44:23 AM
When the lights came up after the closing credits of Kubrick's icy horror staple, attendees were told the secret film was Anderson's much anticipated opus

THAT'S A BOLD STATEMENT