The Long Play

Started by MacGuffin, February 27, 2007, 01:13:29 AM

MacGuffin

Scorsese, Monahan ready to 'Play'
'Departed' duo rock on at Paramount
Source: Variety

Paramount Pictures is tuning up "The Long Play," a rock 'n' roll epic that will be developed as a directing vehicle for Martin Scorsese. William Monahan is set to rewrite the script, reteaming the dual Oscar winners from "The Departed."

Par has also put Scorsese back in business with Mick Jagger and his Jagged Films partner Victoria Pearman, who'll produce "The Long Play" with Scorsese.

Scorsese directed Jagger and his Rolling Stones bandmates in a feature documentary shot last fall at the Beacon Theater. Paramount is planning a fall release for the docu, which Pearman produced with Steve Bing.

Jagger and Pearman are producing animated pic "Ruby Tuesday," as well as the Diane English-directed "The Women." They are exec producers of "Knights of Prosperity" on ABC.

"The Long Play" follows two friends through 40 years in the music business, from the early days of R&B to contemporary hip-hop.Jagged originated the project at Disney based on Jagger's idea. Scorsese sparked to it, and they brought in Rich Cohen, a Rolling Stones mag writer who did exhaustive research and wrote several drafts. Matthew Weiss also wrote drafts.

The project didn't fit Disney's family-film mode. Paramount, which just made a first-look deal with Scorsese to direct and produce pics, has completed a turnaround deal and set Monahan to write the script. "The Long Play" becomes the second deal Paramount has made for Scorsese, after Par and Misher Films optioned the Eric Jager book "Last Duel: A True Story of Crime, Scandal and Trial by Combat in Medieval France."

While Scorsese and Monahan have discussed continuing the storyline of best picture winner "The Departed," Monahan will pen "The Long Play" as his next assignment.

He's completed the script "Penetration" for Ridley Scott to direct, and his "Marco Polo" script is being developed as a star vehicle for Matt Damon.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

I liked it better when The Departed was a sore subject for Scorsese. It seemed to make him distrustful of feature filmmaking enough to announce an early retirement with the exception of doing his passion project, Silence. Now money is being thrown at him and he doesn't have to fight for projects. He likely will do this or something else in the idea that Silence will come down the road. I don't know how far he has developed Silence, but lets hope it is far enough along not to stop. I'm afraid its going on the backburner and will never be made.

Derek

I love it when people talk about other's motivations as if they have a first-person perspective.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Pubrick

i love it when one second scorsese is talking about moving on from the departed and getting back to making a real scorsese film and the next second his last few years of living are going to be compleltely devoted to whatever william monahan squeezes out of his sweaty buttocks which any competent director without a soul could make just as well and no one would tell the difference.

wait, no i don't.
under the paving stones.

cine

Quote from: Pubrick on March 03, 2007, 09:30:21 PM
i love it when one second scorsese is talking about moving on from the departed and getting back to making a real scorsese film and the next second his last few years of living are going to be compleltely devoted to whatever william monahan squeezes out of his sweaty buttocks which any competent director without a soul could make just as well and no one would tell the difference.

not that i support it but to be fair...

Quote from: MacGuffin on October 15, 2006, 09:14:09 PM
But Scorsese said that if he came across another script like "The Departed" and could rely on the same type of budget and freedom to do things his own way, he would not say no.

"I'd be tempted, because it's like a disease. It's like a drug."

Flannery

I'm not happy about this either, you would think after making two movies for "them" ("The Aviator," and "The Departed") and an Oscar, he would be able a movie for "him."  Silence, is probably his last chance to make another masterpiece and a true Scorsese film.  But I will say, that "The Long Play," is a hell of a lot better than a Teddy Roosevelt biopic or The Departed 2.

Pubrick

Quote from: Flannery on March 12, 2007, 08:24:07 PM
after making two movies for "them" ("The Aviator," and "The Departed") and an Oscar, he would be able a movie for "him."

aviator was for him. gangs became for them.
under the paving stones.