Out of touch

Started by kotte, November 14, 2003, 09:55:29 PM

kotte

The 'pants on fire' gag.

I don't feel it belongs in the movie with the characters and story we're watching.

Why do you think he put it in? The explanation on the commentary doesn't do it for me.

Finn

The pants on fire gag was basically just used to show what John was really talking about. PTA probably felt that the audience needed to get out of the car and away from their conversation for just a split second. I think it's also used to show that John isn't very smart and he ends up telling the same story to Clementine later on.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Ghostboy

Plus it's just totally crazy and random and cool!

subversiveproductions

i think that's possible one of the funniest fucking scenes i've ever seen.  as far as why pta included it, i agree with the above that it helps get the viewer out of the car for a little bit, and it goes with the theme of sort of random occurrences and how they change the way we make decisions in life.
www.bloodlessriot.blogspot.com
let me pour my heart out to you strangers.

www.anewnothing.com
smile from ear to blood-dripping ear

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: subversiveproductionsi think that's possible one of the funniest fucking scenes i've ever seen.

:yabbse-thumbup:

I don't think we need an explanation for that. He's just telling us that story. And the scene is just hilarious. I mean... he puts these guys in front of the camera, sets up a shot just to put his pants on fire, he stops the fire, nobody notices and then it's over. That kind of shit just makes me laugh really hard, like in the Royal Tenenbaums, Wes did almost the same thing with the scene when Royal presents Margot to the guys as his adopted daughter.  :lol:
Si

fulty

And my favorite part is when he says
"It must have been spontaneous friction, er sumthin"

I agree the scene shows John is childlike.
I think he is reaching out to Hard 8 ( oops, Sydney )
because he needs a father figure.
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

Something Spanish

kotte kotte kotte. why is the sky blue, my friend. *sigh* why is blood red and pussy pink.

NEON MERCURY

..your out of touch..
i'm out of... time.
but i'm outta my head when your not around....

SoNowThen

When watching Hard Eight and first saw the "pants on fire" thing, I thought to myself: we are in the hands of a fun filmmaker here, I'm gonna enjoy this.

Fuck, why not throw that in there? It gets a laugh. If it was stupid, I would say it isn't supported, but it just works. As I said before in the Kill Bill thread, it's shit like this, and the Pussy Wagon keychain, that makes guys like PTA & QT so fucking great. They got a sense of humor about their work.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ernie

Quote from: SoNowThenFuck, why not throw that in there? It gets a laugh. If it was stupid, I would say it isn't supported, but it just works. As I said before in the Kill Bill thread, it's shit like this, and the Pussy Wagon keychain, that makes guys like PTA & QT so fucking great. They got a sense of humor about their work.

Right right, see here's how I look at it - I thought the pussy wagon thing was lame at first, like the first time you see her in it...I thought it was just machismo bullshit at that point....but then when the explanation came about, I was fucking loving it. It works the same with the pants on fire thing, at first I didn't laugh out loud, I smiled but I didn't what to think until I really got to know John's character later in the movie. Now everytime I watch it, the gag fits perfectly, it's good. It's a story that is believable considering John's personality. And after all, they can't just sit there in silence. And John has to humor a guy that's doing him such a big favor.

Spike

The guy standing after Reilly is PTAs dad, isn't it?
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

kotte

It's a great scene...I just think it's too funny compared to the rest of the film. You know what I mean?

Alethia

Quote from: SpikeThe guy standing after Reilly is PTAs dad, isn't it?

before

TheVoiceOfNick

I think he just wanted a reason to have his dad in the movie, since he probably helped finance the movie to begin with...

depooter

Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: GhostboyPlus it's just totally crazy and random and cool!

Reilly, Ernie Anderson, ?, and PTA's girlfriend at the time, Wendy