Best Horror Movies

Started by Jake_82, November 24, 2003, 09:03:28 PM

Jake_82

What are your top 10 horror movies? Judge by how much overall you were scared by it... for instance, Donnie Darko or 28 Days Later are technically horror movies, and there were parts that were scary, but since Donnie Darko was more of a sci-fi/teen film and 28 Days Later was more of a "thriller," I wouldn't put them at the top of my list.
your reality is at the end of your dream

Banky

your gonna get a redirect but on the subject.  I dont think that Donnie Darko in anyway is a horror film but 28 days later definatly is.

and why the hell not, in no particular order

Scream
Halloween
The Excorsist
Psycho
IT
Evil Dead
The Shining
28 Days Later
Cabin Fever
Nightmare on Elm Street

---------------------------edited

Sleuth

I find some horror in Donnie Darko
I like to hug dogs

Banky

man i miss tremesloth and the connan avatar

its just not the same

modage

more here: http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=1274

not that i personally have a problem with there being two whole threads devoted to horror movies.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Jake_8228 Days Later was more of a "thriller," I wouldn't put them at the top of my list.

Then how are you defining "horror"? "28 Days Later" has zombies in it, and owes a lot to the horror film "Day Of The Dead". I would consider "Silence Of The Lambs" horror, and that's more of a "thriller" that doesn't have much gore.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

..they always channge ..and in nno particular order....

the shining
event horizon
exorcist
psycho
in the mouth of madness
evil dead
texas chainsaw massacre
shallow grave
halloween
wes craven's new nightmare

Jake_82

Quote from: MacGuffinThen how are you defining "horror"? "28 Days Later" has zombies in it, and owes a lot to the horror film "Day Of The Dead". I would consider "Silence Of The Lambs" horror, and that's more of a "thriller" that doesn't have much gore.

I guess I mean, how scary is it... cause there were moments when I jumped in 28 days and some freaky scenes but overall I wasn't really biting my nails scared off my ass
your reality is at the end of your dream

MacGuffin

Quote from: Jake_82I guess I mean, how scary is it...

Okay, going by that definition (in alphabetical order):

Alien
Evil Dead
The Exorcist
Halloween
Jaws
The Omen
Psycho (1960)
Seven
The Shining
Silence Of The Lambs
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

freakerdude

since that other linked thread went south.......

Eraserhead
The Blob ~ 1957 version
Psycho
The Shining
Exorcist
Rosemary's Baby
Phantasm
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Motel Hell - hell yeah!
Halloween
MC Pee Pants

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Banky
IT

SPOILER

..... :arrow: ..the thing that i hated about it(get it)...was the ending..it was so damn stupid withthe guy and girl riding the bicycle off into the sunnnset..it pissed me the phuck offff to the extreme b/c the whole film up to the ending was FLAWLESS.....

modage

Quote from: NEON MERCURYshallow grave

how is shallow grave a horror movie?  that reminds me of when blockbuster or some crappy video store will put a movie like "bringing out the dead" in the horror section because it has 'dead' in the title.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: NEON MERCURYshallow grave

how is shallow grave a horror movie?  that reminds me of when blockbuster or some crappy video store will put a movie like "bringing out the dead" in the horror section because it has 'dead' in the title.

i know what you meann..i've seen lost highway in  a section like that..

..... :arrow: (swipe)....the scene with the hacking off the body parts was done in a "horror" film like fashion IMO.....

i hope "horror" doesnn't have a negative connotation...like childs play 3 or something like that..i just felt it has that edge......

Sleuth

I find horror in Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive
I like to hug dogs

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: SlobhI find horror in Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive

..well ricky fittts told me that he finds beauty n everything.... :wink: