PROJECT!

Started by RegularKarate, December 16, 2010, 03:12:41 PM

RegularKarate

I'm bored and you guys often like lists.

SO!

My girlfriend watches a lot of movies.  She likes shit just as much as she likes good movies (and, for the most part can recognize the difference between).

The thing is that through most of her life, she has only really watched movies that have come out since she was born (she's a good deal younger than me) and now she's interested in exploring older films.

Her proposal to me the other night was that starting in January, I pick a new director every month to show her movies from to expose her to stuff that she may not have seen.

January, I have already decided will be Kubrick.  She's only seen the Shining and (as of a couple weeks ago) Dr. Strangelove.  I'll probably try to show her Clockwork first since it's short and quicker moving then move onto most of the others.

So, help me think of directors and which films to show her.  They need to have enough good movies to keep the month interesting and be older than the late eighties.

Also, try to keep in mind she can fall asleep very easily during a movie and if she does this, there will probably be little chance to get her to pick up where she fell asleep.   So someone like Malick will probably be later in the year.

This project will probably die before the end of January, but it will at least be fun to plan.

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

Best Project! 

Billy Wilder is old and entertaining.

Double Indemnity
Sunset Blvd.
The Apartment
Some Like It Hot
Sabrina

That's a WIN right there.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

RegularKarate

Wilder and Capra are two I hadn't thought of.  Thanks!  I'm almost sure that Wilder will be on the list.

Oh, and if it helps... one of the few directors whose work she's seen a good deal of is Hitchcock.  She loves Hitchcock (predictable, yes, but she's trying to branch out).

Here are the ones outside of Kubs that I'm almost definitely going to do:

Woody Allen
Ingmar Bergman
Kurosawa

Just have to figure out which films.

Ghostboy

Bela Tarr!

JK.

Robert Altman would make for an awesome month. MASH, California Split, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, The Long Goodbye...Short Cuts, Gosford Park and/or Praire Home Companion if you're feeling like something more recent.

modage

Woody Allen

Manhattan
Annie Hall
Sleeper
Bananas
Stardust Memories (only after Fellini month) / or throw in Interiors if you want to show him getting serious
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

Okay, Fellini month is an absolute necessity.  No excuses! 
-La Dolce Vita
-8 1/2
-La Strada
-Nights of Cabiria

Sydney Pollack would make a good month:
-They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
-Three Days of the Condor
-Tootsie
-Out of Africa
-Jeremiah Johnson

So would Sidney Lumet:
-12 Angry Men
-Dog Day Afternoon
-Network
-Serpico
-The Verdict

And lighten things up with the great Hal Ashby:
-Being There
-Harold and Maude
-The Last Detail
-Shampoo
-Coming Home
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pas

John Ford, John Huston!

john

Jonathan Demme:

Melvin and Howard
Married to the Mob
Something Wild
Stop Making Sense
Silence of the Lambs

Brian De Palma:

Carrie
Sisters
Blow Out
Carlito's Way
Femme Fatale

Wim Wenders:

Hammett
The American Friend
Paris, Texas
Wings of Desire
Don't Come Knocking
(Just read the "falling asleep very easily" provision.)

You should also do a Francis Ford Coppola month. Pick whatever  benchmarks of his career you see fit, then throw Jack into the middle of it... just so she can experience the bewilderment and/or disappointment most film geeks have already forgotten about.

I also second the Altman and Wilder suggestions. They'd both provide incredibly enjoyable, surprising months.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

pete

jackie chan:

miracles
wheels on meals
project a
project a ii
armour of god
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

samsong

ace in the hole is a must during billy wilder month.  also if you're doing bergman and kurosawa, you definitely need to round out the world cinema gateway by doing fellini, to which you should add i vitelloni (which you could introduce as having been one of kubrick's favorite movies) and amarcord.  also you can't do woody allen without the purple rose of cairo.  or husbands and wives.  or crimes and misdemeanors.  or hannah and her sisters.  also, loving hitchcock is nothing to scoff at.  robin wood would suggest that it's essential.  (has she seen marnie?)

some other suggestions:

charlie chaplin/buster keaton
- city lights
- the general
- modern times
- sherlock jr
- the gold rush
- our hospitality
- the cameraman

powell & pressburger
- black narcissus
- i know where i'm going!
- a matter of life and death
- the red shoes
the life and death of colonel blimp is pretty long but so great.
- a canterbury tale

douglas sirk
- written on the wind
- imitation of life
- all that heaven allows
- the tarnished angels
i'd save magnificent obsession for if/when she's seen and loved all the others

preston sturges
- the miracle of morgan's creek
- the lady eve
- the palm beach story
- sullivan's travels
- unfaithfully yours

ernst lubitsch
- to be or not to be
- the shop around the corner
- trouble in paradise
- ninotchka
- heaven can wait

howard hawks
- only angels have wings
- to have and have not
- his girl friday
- gentlemen prefer blondes
- the big sleep
- red river
- rio bravo
- bringing up baby

nicholas ray
- in a lonely place
- bigger than life
- they live by night
- rebel without a cause
- on dangerous ground
johnny guitar is hard to find but essential.

luis bunuel
- that discreet object of desire
- the exterminating angel
- belle du jour
- el
- los olvidados
- the discreet charm of the bourgeoisie
- the phantom of liberty

RegularKarate

Damn guys, I feel like a real fool, I haven't seen a lot of this stuff.

These are great lists.

People keep insisting on Fellini... I'll definitely have to add that one to the list.

THANKS EVERYONE!  This is great!  Keep it coming and I'll let you guys know what we get to each month.

Sleepless

Gotta have a Godard month (will provide a list of suggestions soon)
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: Sleepless on December 17, 2010, 10:25:25 AM
Gotta have a Godard month (will provide a list of suggestions soon)
To my surprise, my girlfriend absolutely adores Breathless, so I'd certainly recommend that one.
The other Godards.... keep it early, unless you want to give her a good reason to avoid French films:
A Woman Is A Woman, Pierrot le fou, Contempt. I Would recommend Vivre sa vie; it's admittedly slow, but short. She may enjoy that, or Masculin/FĂ©minin.

I'd also like to suggest some Truffaut, especially (of course) The 400 Blows. Stolen Kisses holds a special place in my heart, and it's a fun lighthearted movie, so she may enjoy that. Shoot the Piano Player and Jules & Jim are naturals, too, I'd think.

And who doesn't like some serious, heartbreaking drama every now and then? Scenes from a Marriage is good for getting the tears out (and it shouldn't ruin your relationship.... i hope), Hour of the Wolf is a good one for Halloween (if your project has survived that long) and you can't go wrong with Fanny & Alexander.

Finally, introduce her to von Sternberg, please! Especially the films he made with Marlene Dietrich: Scarlet Empress, Morrocco, The Devil Is a Woman, and Blonde Venus.

This is a great idea! Good luck, and I hope she discovers a few lifelong favorites.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.