Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

godardian

So... it's really true that nobody else is looking forward to Jubilee??

It even has Adam Ant. Adam Ant! (In the spirit of Homer Simpson's, "But F. Murray Abraham is going to be on Inside the Actor's Studio tonight! F. Murray Abraham!")
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

sphinx

from dvdfile:

ยป CRITERION COLLECTION

I just received my copy of the Criterion Collection's Throne of Blood in the mail and saw a nice little surprise inside in the Criterion catalog brochure: Steven Soderbergh's highly experimental Schizopolis will be coming to DVD later this year. There's no date or details yet, other than it will be spine #119. Great news for fans of this odd film!

Gold Trumpet

I thought macguffin would have done this by now, but sphinx, please step back a page.

and for more steam to the Beyond the Valley of the Dolls rumor:

http://www.mhvf.net/forum/cult/posts/19052.html

~rougerum

Gold Trumpet

Some new dvds announced, with details on one already confirmed. First, the specific details to the already confirmed title of Indiscretion of an American Wife/ Terminal Station which is one film, but two different versions of it. Terminal Station is the director's cut by Vittorio De Sica. The plot detail lists it as controversial and given how unkown the film is, even among De Sica films, it may be a choice for mainly the controversy that two films were made out of one. I am curious though to see it because it can shed light to the times in how each world saw how to make a film and I am an avid collector of Italian Cinema anyways so I may boggle down and buy it. Specs are here: http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=202

Then there is the major discovery that Ingmar Bergman's "Faith" Trilogy has been announced as covering spine numbers #208 to 211. This was found out when someone discovered the cover titles were up on the site without being officially posted. 208 is the box cover. 209 is for "Through a Glass Darkly. 210 is for Winter Light. 211 is for The Silence.

#208 http://www.criterionco.com/asp/full_cover_display.asp?id=208

#209 http://www.criterionco.com/asp/full_cover_display.asp?id=209

#210 http://www.criterionco.com/asp/full_cover_display.asp?id=210

#211 http://www.criterionco.com/asp/full_cover_display.asp?id=211

This is a good return to a focus on some more important titles that are available to Criterion but felt to be sadly unused. Any fan of Max Ophuls can understand Criterion is not really reaching to release its important films first and foremost at all, but also, it runs in Criterion tradition to release a Bergman disc of somewhat a year with Fellini and Kurosawa. Any work by these men are important just for who they are so this is an anticipated work.

And now to some surprisements:

Kurosawa's The Lower Depths and Donzoko have been officially announced for August. The specs have been found for The Lower Depths, which are this:

DVD $39.95
Cat no. LOW030
ISBN 0-78002-699-3
UPC 0-37429-18132-4

- New high-definition digital transfer

- Audio commentary featuring Japanese-film expert Donald Richie (A Hundred Years of Japanese Cinema)

- Original theatrical trailer

- New essay by Keiko McDonald (From Book to Screen: Modern Japanese Literature in Films) and Thomas Rimer (A Reader's Guide to Japanese Literature)

- Cast biographies by Stephen Prince (The Warrior's Camera: The Cinema of Akira Kurosawa)

- New and improved English subtitle translation by renowned Japanese-film translator Linda Hoaglund

- Optimal image quality: RSDL dual-layer edition

I can't say much on Donzoko because even as a major fan of Kurosawa, I've never heard of it. I'm guessing it is very early work or something. Who knows. The Lower Depths is a welcome choice and will be anticipated. Anyways, good day of annoucements by way of Criterion.

~rougerum

godardian

The Silence.

That puts one of the two best-by-far Bergman films on DVD...

...maybe they'll eventually release Persona?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Gold Trumpet

Persona stands no chance to be released by Criterion. MGM holds the rights to the film is notorious for not cooperating with Criterion in the dvd age, so much so that everyone who follows Criterion dismisses the notion Persona ever will be released by them. Though, there is good news because it has been confirmed that Persona, Hour of the Wolf and The Passion of Anna will at least get a bare bones release sometime this year by MGM in some non excitement way, which could have been achieved by Criterion in an amazing way.

~rougerum

godardian

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetPersona stands no chance to be released by Criterion. MGM holds the rights to the film is notorious for not cooperating with Criterion in the dvd age, so much so that everyone who follows Criterion dismisses the notion Persona ever will be released by them. Though, there is good news because it has been confirmed that Persona, Hour of the Wolf and The Passion of Anna will at least get a bare bones release sometime this year by MGM in some non excitement way, which could have been achieved by Criterion in an amazing way.

~rougerum

Some sort of Persona DVD would be better than nothing...

MGM doesn't do any extras or fanfare, but most of their DVDs that I have are okay for what they are. And they're usually quite inexpensive, too.

godardian

SoNowThen

Where do you get that from? I can't find it on the Criterion Home Page
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenWhere do you get that from? I can't find it on the Criterion Home Page

http://207.136.67.23/film/dvdcovers.htm#c

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gold Trumpet

The covers haven't been posted yet on the board but savy fans know the code to type in to see if they have been unofficially posted. Which they have.

~rougerum

SoNowThen

Please, please , please tell me this mystical Criterion code. PM if you prefer, but PLEASE. I hate not being privy to new Criterion stuff. The website seems to have nothing on it. Open my mind to the secrets, I must have them....

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Pwaybloe

Okay, I think I cracked it.  Are you ready?

The code is: mulvaneyluvssphinx

Gold Trumpet

no real secret code SoNowThen, its just knowing what all the cover adresses are and instead of typing an already established one, you type in ones for upcoming spine numbers and when you know a box set is likely coming (like it was with this Bergman trilogy), you switch to typing it for box cover like ones before. Its just being a good follower and continually checking near beginning and end of months to see if anything comes from it. Sometimes things do but sometimes they dont. I don't do this personally, but usually post it on here within a day or less when it is found.

~rougerum