Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

Duck Sauce

Quote from: MacGuffin"Gosford Park" is wonderful, but it took me a second viewing to realize that. But I hated "Cookie's Fortune" (I even liked "Gingerbread Man" better). And "Ready To Wear," the only good parts were the Julia Roberts/Tim Robbins sections.

I actually hated Gingerbread Man and liked Cookie's Fortune.... Probably because CF was sort of gentle and laid back while GBM seemed like an original Showtime movie...

phil marlowe

Quote from: bonanzatazThe only parts I liked in Gosford Park were the parts where Maggie Smith makes out with Vin Diesel.

Now there's a reason to go see it. And another wonderful film he did was the player. Just pure awesome.

Gold Trumpet

OK, more news, with Kurosawa titles and Todd Haynes headlining:

Todd Haynes has confirmed, at a screening of All that Heaven Allows at UC Santa Barbara, that he did an interview or a commentary (source couldn't remember) for the movie, Ali: Fear Eats the Soul, which is likely to be a Criterion dvd release.

The woman doing the new subtitles for the upcoming Throne of Blood Criterion dvd by Kurosawa, has confirmed that she has also re subtitled 6 other Kurosawa films for Criterion, with one already being in the collection but likely being rereleased: Seven Samuari, Ikiru, Stray Dog, The Bad Sleep Well, Drunken Angels and I Live in Fear. These new subtitles are being printed onto newly restored prints for a traveling reptrospective of Kurosawa films and also for release on dvd with the Kurosawa/Mifune focus section at the website.

~rougerum

xerxes

that was a great retrospective, although i wished they kept it around a little longer... each film only played about one or two days here, so i only got to see a couple of them

...criterion better get moving with those releases

MacGuffin

Quote from: MacGuffinCriterion has just announced two new additions to their ever-expanding collection, due May 13th. First up is another Akira Kurosawa classic, Throne of Blood. Coming complete in a newly-remastered transfer with the original Japanese mono track, extras include an audio commentary by Japanese film expert Michael Jeck, a new essay by Stephen Prince, two alternative subtitle translations, and the trailer. Retail is $39.95.

Paired with the Kurosawa epic is Quai Des Orfevres, also presented in a newly-remastered transfer with its original French mono track, plus French television interview excerpts with director Henri-Georges Clouzot and the cast, plus the film's original theatrical trailer. Retail is $29.95.

Cover art:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

Quote from: Duck Sauce
Quote from: MacGuffin"Gosford Park" is wonderful, but it took me a second viewing to realize that. But I hated "Cookie's Fortune" (I even liked "Gingerbread Man" better). And "Ready To Wear," the only good parts were the Julia Roberts/Tim Robbins sections.

I actually hated Gingerbread Man and liked Cookie's Fortune.... Probably because CF was sort of gentle and laid back while GBM seemed like an original Showtime movie...

i actually just watched the gingerbread man for the first time ther other day and really enjoyed it. pretty good thriller. gosford park gets better everytime u watch it.

Gold Trumpet

Two films by the Italian director Ermano Olmi, at spine number 194 and 195 have been announced by Criterion. The first, an announced one, Il Posto and the second, I Findanzanti. Here are the covers Criterion will be going with:

Il Posto: http://www.criterionco.com/asp/full_cover_display.asp?id=194

I Findazanti: http://www.criterionco.com/asp/full_cover_display.asp?id=195

~rougerum

sphinx

wraa...this #200 business is driving me crazy...

Pedro

Gold Trumpet

Ali: Fear Eats The Soul is confirmed for a summer release.....possible #200 spine? But confirmation also goes for another director being involved in the dvd.

Todd Haynes Interview To Appear on Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

A new video interview with celebrated director Todd Haynes (Far From Heaven; Velvet Goldmine;Safe) will be included on Criterion's upcoming DVD of Rainer Werner Fassbinder's classic Ali: Fear Eats the Soul. In it, Haynes discusses Fassbinder's importance as a filmmaker, his influence on Haynes' work, and the influence of Douglas Sirk on both directors (Sirk's All That Heaven Allows served as an inspiration for both Ali: Fear Eats the Soul and Haynes' Far From Heaven). Look for Criterion's DVD of Ali: Fear Eats the Soul this summer.

~rougerum

Gold Trumpet

Looks like we may be seeing two films from Alain Resnais in June from The Criterion Collection. Facets is reporting that "Night and Fog" and "Hiroshima, Mon Amour" may get released. Speculation though, suggests that "Night and Fog" may be a HVE release instead of Criterion. But this is major news on the world cinema level, and will likely have me revisit Hiroshima to see if I can get more out of it than I did with the crappy vhs edition I saw. Rumor still, folks.

Edit, Facets has removed listings of both films from website completely. Instead of debunking the rumor, for Criterion, it only makes it all the more likely Criterion will be releasing these titles. Criterion likely pressured them to pull it.

~rougerum

Gold Trumpet

Both Resnais films have been confirmed for a June release By the answer man, John Mulvaney, with dvdplanet stating this for special features on Hiroshima, Mon Amour:

Special Features:
New high-definition digital transfer; Audio commentary by film historian Peter Cowie; 1961 Cinepanorama interview with Alain Resnais; Archival interview footage of Emmanuelle Riva; Excerpts from Duras' annotations to the screenplay; Music and effects track; New essay by Kent Jones; New and improved English subtitle translation; Optimal image quality: RSDL dual-layer edition.

look for cover art and more details to be up on the website this week.

Also, full descriptions of the two Olmi films are now up at the website:

http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=194  IL POSTO

http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=195 I FIDANZATI

~rougerum

cine

Getting back to "Ali".. I must say again that I'm disappointed I purchased the VHS knowing its not going to be released on DVD.. that the first and last time that happens. the subtitles are weird and I would just adore the DVD so much more.

Gold Trumpet

OK, official info for three June releases are up and spine number #200 is nearing. Here they are:

ALI: FEAR EATS THE SOUL #198 http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=198

NIGHT AND FOG #197 http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=197

HIROSHIMA, MON AMOUR #196 http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=196

Speaking on level of importance, Criterion is definitely moving into more important release of world cinema. I've been personally waiting years to see Ali: Fear Eats The Soul and Hiroshima, Mon Amour is one of the three founding movies of the French New Wave. One of the others, The 400 Blows, is getting released this April. I'm pretty sure the most obvious #200 guess would have to be The Rules of the Game, which stands as one of the most famous movies of world cinema in general and is being confirmed to getting released this summer. It is becoming an interesting for Criterion, especially with the greatest works by one of the masters of cinema, Yasijuo Ozu, promised for this year and maybe even some more Ingmar Bergman titles. Rumor on the Bergman titles is that a box set may be approaching, being the "Faith" trilogy, including the titles, "Winter Light", "The Silence" and "Through a Glass Darkly". Should be a good year.

~rougerum

Gold Trumpet

Roger Ebert Commentary to Appear on Floating Weeds

Esteemed film critic Roger Ebert will contribute audio commentary to Criterion's upcoming DVD release of Yasujiro Ozu's classic Floating Weeds (Ukigusa, 1959). Also included in this release will be Ozu's original, silent The Story of Floating Weeds (Ukigusa monogatari, 1934). The release of Criterion's Floating Weeds will follow the the celebration of Ozu's centennial at this year's New York Film Festival.

Great news considering for me, he is one of the only reasons actually to listen to any commentary. I've never actually fully listened to any commentary besides his two (Dark City, Citizen Kane) because I'm not very good in attention span on listening to someone talk about a movie when I rather just be watching it. And usually, what they say is never that interesting and revealing in more bad ways than anything else to the movie. And yes, that does mean I've never listened to an entire PTA commentary. Actually, I've never gotten past 20 minutes on one of his.

~rougerum