Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Sleepless

Anyone else tried the new Criterion Channel yet?

Coming from Mubi, one thing I have a problem with is that it's hard to keep track of what new content is added each day (or whenever). It'd be cool if they had a "feed" or something to make it easy to keep track of what's added and when it'll be removed. As it is, it's sort of mid-way between Mubi and Netflix. Maybe Prime is a reasonable comparison in terms of this.

They still have some technical teething problems they need to overcome too. Streaming works fine through the website, but it won't play any videos via the Fire TV app, and trying to download a video for offline viewing in iOS just keeps crapping out. Hopefully they'll get these issues figured out pretty soon.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Ravi

I don't see an option to Chromecast from the Android app, which is frustrating. I'd rather watch this on my TV than on my laptop, and I'm definitely not watching on my phone.

Alethia

They'll work out the kinks, I have faith. Happy to see at least a portion of good old Filmstruck-ian splendor back with us.

wilder

The navigation needs work. For now, here's a sortable db someone made of everything available on the channel through search.

Something Spanish

you can also click on All Films to check out all they have available. Weird thing is on the All Films option you can't add anything into your watchlist, but you can stream it. For $89.99 for the year I think I'll get my money's worth.

Sleepless

Quote from: Something Spanish on April 16, 2019, 02:51:46 PM
For $89.99 for the year I think I'll get my money's worth.

Oh, no question.

Wilder, thanks for that link - definitely bookmarking that one!

EDIT: Apparently not all the films listed there are available to watch on TCC in the US. But presumably they are elsewhere in the world?

Ravi

Got a reply about Chromecast support:

At the moment Chromecast is not supported.

The development team is aware of the problems that our current implementation of HDCP (a piracy protection program) is causing viewers trying to use Chrome browsers with external monitors, Chromebooks, and Chromecast. They are working on a fix, but they haven't given us a timetable yet. This is a top priority item for us. Please hang in there and we'll keep you posted of any developments.

In the meantime, as mentioned in an earlier message, streaming is available via an App on Apple TV 4 and newer, Fire TV Cube (1st generation), Amazon Fire TV (3rd Generation), Fire TV Stick 4K, Roku, iOS, and Android devices.Links to our Apps are available under the "Download the Apps" tab here: https://www.criterionchannel.com

Sleepless

So it sounds like all the problems are related to their HDCP/DRM setup, which is incredibly strict. (For comparison, I was able to stream screeners from Film Independent on my laptop connected to my actual TV, but the same isn't possible with TCC. It won't let me AirPlay to Apple TV either.) At the moment, I'm relegated to streaming on either laptop/ipad/phone, none of which is ideal. Evidently their own Fire TV app won't playback videos on certain hardware because of their HDCP requirements. I believe it's what's causing the widespread problems preventing users to download videos for offline viewing too. I had some back and forth with them over the weekend, and it sounds like plenty of people have been in touch to figure out why it's so difficult to use the service. Good news is they're very aware of the myriad problems and are looking into possible solutions. Bad news is they don't have a specific fix in their sights, and it'll likely still take some time to get there anyway. Just gotta keep being patient, I guess.

WorldForgot

Anyway to tell which filmz are about to expire/leave?

jenkins

specifically surveying for feedback about these titles:

jenkins

what about this one, i feel like i should obviously see this at one point

jenkins

moonrise is good but im more into ride the pink horse

i borrowed a friend's copy and this is actually going to be the first criterion B&n sale i skip, for various reasons not that interesting

Reel

I think I won the Criterion sale today, jenk. I just found The Black Stallion Dvd at a thrift store for $3!!  :yabbse-grin: