Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

cine

From Criterionco.com:

New Film Find Changes Rules of the Game

Jean Renoir's classic The Rules of the Game had been slated for release at the end of 2003, but that will change thanks to the discovery this week of a film element previously thought to be lost. Criterion's staff had already spent months on the new high-definition master that was to be at the heart of a two-disc special edition when a French lab finally unearthed the fine-grain master of the reconstructed version, one generation closer to the original than anything previously available. A similar discovery delayed the release of another Renoir classic, Grand Illusion, intended to be Criterion's first release. Expect The Rules of the Game in early 2004.

Find Your Magali

I was originally going to ask if anyone knew the scoop on when "Ikiru" was going to finally hit DVD (I assume Criterion will do it).

But then, I decided to do a Google news search first to find it myself, and I stumbled across the news that Dreamworks is remaking "Ikiru" with Tom Hanks in the lead.

So now I guess I have three questions:

(1) Does anyone know the status of the "Ikiru" DVD?
(2) Did we already know about the Dreamworks/Hanks remake?
(3) What do we think of that remake...

MacGuffin

Quote from: Find Your Magali(2) Did we already know about the Dreamworks/Hanks remake?
(3) What do we think of that remake...

http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=16942
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Look for Ikiru (by Criterion) on dvd in 2004.

~rougerum

Gold Trumpet

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

i just got home and im lit as fuck and i just mis read your title and i thought you said that criterion  is coming out with naked gun 33 and a third

i was like

" Ohh my"

©brad

33&1/3 was the best one.

fuck this richard III shit- gt any word on a die hard criterion?

Ravi

Quote from: ©brad

I know you're kidding, but:

a) Fox doesn't license out titles to Criterion
b) Each film already has two discs.  What more could be done?  A Peter Cowie commentary? A Die Hard radio show reenactment?  :)

edison

Quote from: Ravi
Quote from: ©brad

I know you're kidding, but:

a) Fox doesn't license out titles to Criterion
 :)

Isnt Naked Lunch from Fox?

and ive also heard word that Beyond the Valley of the Dolls is in the works from Criterion, another Fox title.

Ravi

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102511/companycreditsProduction

Companies
Film Trustees Ltd.
Naked Lunch Productions
Nippon Film Development and Finance, Inc. [jp]
Recorded Picture Company (RPC) [gb]
The Ontario Film Development Corporation [ca]
Téléfilm Canada [ca]

Distributors
20th Century Fox Film Corporation [us] (USA)

So perhaps Fox doesn't own the US rights anymore.

IMDB lists Fox as the the producer and distributor of Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.  So this is surprising to me.  Maybe they are now licensing only select titles like BVD.  They never licensed their titles out in the LD days.  Fox licensed Visions of Light and some Planet of the Apes documentary to Image.

Gold Trumpet

Fox has begun to license films to Criterion by the looks of it. Thought is that even if companies are making tons of money off dvds and it is so easy that many film studios still have vaults too deep to come close to touching nearly all of it anytime soon. Criterion's interest in films usually pertains to ones farther back in the vault so it looks as if some companies (as Fox) are starting to lend out titles to Criterion who can bring a good profit on more unkown titles.

Fox Titles under suspicion of getting released by Criterion soon:

The Leopard
Beyond the Valley of the Dolls
Kagemusha
3 Women

Die Hard would be great as Criterion, but a great two disc special edition of it already exists so not much need for another special edition.

~rougerum

cine

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
The Leopard

:shock:
GREAT NEWS!

:-D

Ravi

Criterion Baby's Day Out, yes!!!

Okay, no.

Fox does a terrific job with SEs.  Their now-dead Five Star Collection label was terrific, but they continue to make great 2-disc titles.  The Studio Classics DVDs have excellent extras.  You would never think that a major studio would lavish so much attention on a silent film like Sunrise, but they did it.

cine