Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

xerxes

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetThere are rumors swirling around that... Akira Kurosawa's Ikiru may also be released...
~rougerum

that is the best thing i've ever heard... please tell me it's true

Gold Trumpet

I don't know if April will be the month (that will be found out soon if true) but various news reports have said that a dvd of Ikiru is expected for release sometime this year, with Criterion being the likely candidate to release. Even that is hopeful because I am dying dying to get my hands on this movie.

~rougerum

MacGuffin

The Digital Bits has confirmed that Wellspring will finally release their Ran: Masterworks Edition on DVD on 4/15 (SRP $34.98 ). This is the same disc that was previously available only in the Kurosawa DVD Collection box set from Amazon. It features anamorphic widescreen video, Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, audio commentary by Peter Grilli, audio commentary by Steven Prince), English subtitles, a restoration demo, the European trailer, the home video trailer, filmographies, production notes and weblinks.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

i ordered that box set off someone from ebay a few months ago and it hasn't come in......am i fucked?

~rougerum

bonanzataz

Quote from: The Gold Trumpeti ordered that box set off someone from ebay a few months ago and it hasn't come in......am i fucked?

~rougerum

not if you complain to ebay. they'll get him to send it or refund your money.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Duck Sauce

Thank god for a new Ran. I had never seen a DVD where both parts of there was only 1 letterbox bar at the bottom.

MacGuffin

Rounding out this week's news, Criterion has just announced two new additions to their ever-expanding collection, due May 13th. First up is another Akira Kurosawa classic, Throne of Blood. Coming complete in a newly-remastered transfer with the original Japanese mono track, extras include an audio commentary by Japanese film expert Michael Jeck, a new essay by Stephen Prince, two alternative subtitle translations, and the trailer. Retail is $39.95.

Paired with the Kurosawa epic is Quai Des Orfevres, also presented in a newly-remastered transfer with its original French mono track, plus French television interview excerpts with director Henri-Georges Clouzot and the cast, plus the film's original theatrical trailer. Retail is $29.95.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

xerxes

THC

What about "3 Women"?  Isn't anyone excited about that?  I can't wait.  This is the first time I have heard this rumour and I am thrilled.  The movie was never even released on VHS and I have never seen it.   Now if only Criterion could get the rights to the rest of Altman's films that have been disrespected by all of the studios that own them.  Shame on them.  I would like to see "Secret Honour" (it was a Criterion laserdisc) and I would love a DVD copy of "Short Cuts" (also a Criterion laserdisc).
:)
"Come on Bart, we're going to see an R rated movie.  It's called Barton Fink."

Ernie

Quote from: THCWhat about "3 Women"?  Isn't anyone excited about that?  I can't wait.  This is the first time I have heard this rumour and I am thrilled.  The movie was never even released on VHS and I have never seen it.   Now if only Criterion could get the rights to the rest of Altman's films that have been disrespected by all of the studios that own them.  Shame on them.  I would like to see "Secret Honour" (it was a Criterion laserdisc) and I would love a DVD copy of "Short Cuts" (also a Criterion laserdisc).
:)

I've always wanted to see 3 Women myself for some reason, don't really know why. I am an Altman fan (excluding Gosford Park and Dr. T) and I just think it looks like a cool movie, it's oddly intriguing. I'm pretty damn excited but, at the same time, worried that it's just a rumor. I really hope it's true!

phil marlowe

Why is it that everyone is dizzing Gosford Park? I haven't seen it, but i've allways heard it should be awesome...

Ernie

Quote from: Phil MarloweWhy is it that everyone is dizzing Gosford Park? I haven't seen it, but i've allways heard it should be awesome...

It should have been but it really wasn't in my eyes. I hate to sound like a lazy critic but....it was just boring. I love The Long Goodbye and MASH and Nashville and Mccabe & Mrs. Miller.

Gosford Park and Dr T are the only two altman films I've seen that I truly didn't like.

Cecil

i thought it was only barely above average

bonanzataz

The only parts I liked in Gosford Park were the parts where Maggie Smith makes out with Vin Diesel.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

"Gosford Park" is wonderful, but it took me a second viewing to realize that. But I hated "Cookie's Fortune" (I even liked "Gingerbread Man" better). And "Ready To Wear," the only good parts were the Julia Roberts/Tim Robbins sections.

Proud owner of the Criterion Short Cuts laser.

Skeleton FilmWorks