Natalie Portman

Started by MacGuffin, April 22, 2005, 02:49:48 AM

MacGuffin

Natalie Portman's lifecast
Source: Valleywag

Natalie Portman, the actress who played Queen Padmé Amidala in the Star Wars saga, is touring around Silicon Valley in search of funding for a new project. The winsome movie star, who came to public notice as a 12-year-old in the charge of a grizzled assassin, is proposing a continuous video feed of her work and personal life. One investor that met with her: George Zachary of Charles River Ventures, the former playboy who now gets his kicks by investing at extraordinary valuations. Remind me: when did Silicon Valley go Hollywood?

Hollywood is freaked by the emergence of instant celebrities, in reality television, and on web sites such as Youtube. The agencies, and the stars, want in on the action, just as they did during the last internet boom. Thus CAA, the number one talent agency, put Will Ferrell, the comedic actor, together with Sequoia Capital. The result: Funny or Die, a version of Youtube for comedy clips.

Natalie Portman's effort appears more in the line of Justin.tv, the Yale graduate who had been filming every minute of his life, or Lonely Girl 15, the Youtube character who recorded a spectacularly popular video diary from her fictional bedroom. We know this only because one of Zachary's colleagues asked, rather indiscreetly, on Twitter: "How big of an audience do you think natalie portman lifecasting could attract?"

The answer? I'm sure it could draw a crowd, at least initially. Natalie Portman is attractive, and the concept of the celebrity reveal-all is sufficiently fresh, at least on the web. When other Hollywood stars follow the lead, which they will, the novelty will wear off. Then, again, that's exactly what they've been saying about reality television for, oh, about the last five years.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Natalie Portman wants to do a sequel to The Professional
Source: SfyFy

Just three years after saying she had no interest in doing a sequel to her 1994 debut film The Professional—known internationally as Leon—Natalie Portman has changed her tune. But her willingness to return to the role that made her a young star is dependent on one condition.

According to MTV, Portman says she'd come back for a sequel only if original director Luc Besson were behind the camera again. Besson, for his part, has actually written a sequel called Mathilda, which focuses on Portman's character, but has said he has no interest in directing.

Portman says she has not even looked at the script for that very reason: "I have never read it, because Luc won't direct it himself, and so I'm only interested if he [directs]. ... I told him if he would do it himself, I would do it in two seconds. But he won't, so ... "

Besson himself, the French filmmaker known for directing La Femme Nikita and The Fifth Element, as well as producing the Transporter series, has been in and out of retirement for the past few years, so it's not clear whether he'd want to put on his director's hat again for Mathilda. There's also no guarantee that the studio that owns the rights to the property is interested in a sequel.

If anyone could inspire both him and the studio to get Mathilda up and running, however, we imagine it would be Portman. The actress is getting rave reviews (and Oscar buzz) for her starring role in the upcoming psychological thriller Black Swan, so the time may be right for our favorite "cleaner" to make a comeback!
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks