Premiere's 50 Greatest Movie Stars

Started by meatball, April 02, 2005, 11:26:15 PM

meatball

Premiere Magazine's 50 Greatest Movie Stars

17 Mar 2005
KFCC Feature

Premiere magazine's editors spent two years putting together a roster that places Tom Cruise at No. 3, behind only Marilyn Monroe and list-topper Cary Grant for the 50 Greatest Movie Stars, which is getting more jeers than cheers from film lovers offended that Tom Cruise outranks John Wayne and Marlon Brando. Or even more incredulously, stars like William Powell, Robert Montgomery, Ava Gardner and Barbara Stanwyck weren't even listed.

Another head-scratcher was Julia Roberts, who cracked the top 10 at No. 7, while four-time Oscar winner Katharine Hepburn came in No. 14. We'll trade you Julia Roberts for Gloria Grahame (also not listed) anyday.

Laugh now because it's only a list, and it isn't ours. The issue with the list is currently on sale with Tom Cruise on the cover. Premiere's list of 50 Greatest Movie Stars:
1. Cary Grant
2. Marilyn Monroe
3. Tom Cruise
4. John Wayne
5. Ingrid Bergman
6. Paul Newman
7. Julia Roberts
8. Greta Garbo
9. James Stewart
10. Henry Fonda
11. James Cagney
12. Grace Kelly
13. Humphrey Bogart
14. Katharine Hepburn
15. Marlon Brando
16. Jack Nicholson
17. Robert Redford
18. Audrey Hepburn
19. Spencer Tracy
20. Sidney Poitier
21. Clark Gable
22. Judy Garland
23. Fred Astaire
24. Doris Day
25. Bette Davis
26. Errol Flynn
27. Gregory Peck
28. Tom Hanks
29. Warren Beatty
30. James Dean
31. Steve McQueen
32. Jane Fonda
33. Shirley Temple
34. Rita Hayworth
35. Harrison Ford
36. Sean Connery
37. Al Pacino
38. Robert De Niro
39. Denzel Washington
40. Elizabeth Taylor
41. Peter Sellers
42. Gary Cooper
43. Clint Eastwood
44. Will Smith
45. Jack Lemmon
46. Meryl Streep
47. Johnny Depp
48. Nicole Kidman
49. Russell Crowe
50. Brad Pitt

MacGuffin

Nevermind the whole Tom Cruise debate, there's no way John Wayne was a better actor than James Stewart, James Dean, Henry Fonda, Gregory Peck, Gary Cooper and Spencer Tracy (among some others).
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

I read this article the other day and felt emotionally sick afterward. Two years putting this list together, jesus, what a waste of time.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Gamblour.

I like how Pacino and de Niro are right next to each other, and oh so properly placed behind Sean Connery and Harrison Ford......they probably couldn't tell the difference between Pacino and de Niro
WWPTAD?

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: MacGuffinNevermind the whole Tom Cruise debate, there's no way John Wayne was a better actor than James Stewart, James Dean, Henry Fonda, Gregory Peck, Gary Cooper and Spencer Tracy (among some others).

Movie star....not actor.

lamas

what about Schwarzenegger and Stallone?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I think they chose the Top 50 Stars of Good Movies.  It's easy to think an actor is good just because they're in a good movie.  For instance, Tom Cruise was in Eyes Wide Shut and Magnolia.

(Although some, like Marilyn Monroe have me a little confused about their acting and the movies they're in)
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

kotte

Quote from: WalrusI think they chose the Top 50 Stars of Good Movies.  It's easy to think an actor is good just because they're in a good movie.  For instance, Tom Cruise was in Eyes Wide Shut and Magnolia.

Yeah, but he is a good actor.

Myxo

Yeah, this list is a joke.

What exactly is a "movie star"?

Alethia

a household name who works in the movie business

Stefen

Bill Simmons over at Grantland wrote a really great piece about male movie stars and how there isn't really any. Good read if you're interested.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6716942/view/full/the-movie-star

Is anyone reading Grantland? I've always been a fan of Bill Simmons, but not so much Chuck Klosterman. It's got some hits and misses, but overall I think it's a good idea. I love the footnotes.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

JG

Simmons irks me most of the time, that article included, but I like the site's premise(/promise) and so far its a yielded a few gems, some even by Klosterman, who I usually only like when I'm not reading his writing..

cronopio 2

the logic behind that article is that if you narrow it down to two or three examples, your argument is suddenly true and valid. even i can see that. of course there are movie stars, that's why they're called movie stars. this article just decides to not talk about them.

ono

That article is pretty stupid to me.  It's just splitting hairs.  If you star in a movie you're a movie star.  It matters not how well the damn thing did.  Now bankable, that's another thing altogether.  The degree in which you succeed is measured by how prolific and acclaimed you are.  Carrey still works.  Still a star.  Just reminds me of the longest trail of shit thread, though.

Stefen

The part that intrigued me was the Will Smith part and how everything he does is a calculated and precise effort. I found that very interesting. He better still be with whoever the agent is that he came up with this formula with.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.