Bill Murray

Started by Chest Rockwell, February 21, 2004, 09:12:30 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: Chest RockwellI've never seen this commercial. I can only imagine and become horrified with what I think it'd be like.

http://www.americanexpress.digisle.tv/spot58/index.html

I saw it five times before each movie yesterday.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

kassius

Thank you for seeing the light.  Your right, the movie wasn't great, Denzel was.

Quote from: xerxestraining day may not have been that great but denzel's performance in it was amazing.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: Chest RockwellI've never seen this commercial. I can only imagine and become horrified with what I think it'd be like.

http://www.americanexpress.digisle.tv/spot58/index.html

I saw it five times before each movie yesterday.
I saw the commercial during the Awards. Eh...

bonanzataz

poor murray seemed really upset that he lost. i liked him a lot better than penn. i really wanted him to win.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

xerxes

Quote from: taz.poor murray seemed really upset that he lost. i liked him a lot better than penn. i really wanted him to win.

i don't think it was just when he lost, he pretty much looked that way all night

Chest Rockwell

Murray Upset at Oscar Result

Actor Bill Murray shocked guests at Sunday night's Academy Awards - when he refused to clap as rival nominee Sean Penn was named Best Actor. The Lost In Translation star looked annoyed when Nicole Kidman announced Penn had won for his performance in Mystic River. According to British newspaper The Sun, Murray later shouted at organizers, "If I knew this was going to happen, I wouldn't have bothered coming." The 53-year-old comedian has made no secret of his dislike of award ceremonies, and didn't show up to collect the Best Actor award at London's BAFTAs last month. Murray has said, "Awards are meaningless to me, and I have nothing but disdain for anyone who actively campaigns to get one. It's a really unattractive sight to see an actor or actress who really wants an Oscar. And you often see it on the show - you see their faces and the desperation is so ugly."

Redlum

The Sun are the biggest bullshit artists, people only buy it for the topless girls on page 3.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: ®edlumThe Sun are the biggest bullshit artists, people only buy it for the topless girls on page 3.
Amen to that.

It does seem a little out of character that he'd say something like, "I wouldn't have bothered coming." I think we could all tell he was upset, though, and I was surprised at this seeing as how he usually doesn't care about the awards. I bet he just wanted to provide some amazing acceptance speech.

Pubrick

that quote they referred to was made ages ago. everything else they said is bullshit.
under the paving stones.

Just Withnail

Quote from: Chest RockwellI bet he just wanted to provide some amazing acceptance speech.

Man, don't tease like that.

MacGuffin

Bill Murray Charms Brooklyn
Source: indieWIRE

The Brooklyn Academy of Music hosted a special evening with Bill Murray on Tuesday night, to kick off its "What About Bill Murray" retrospective (running through May 5); Brooklyn perhaps hasn't seen this much excitement since the days of the Dodgers. Every screening of the several Murray films shown on Tuesday was sold out, as was the Q&A discussion with Elvis Mitchell, held in the voluminous Opera House after the flicks. The museum has been trying to get Murray for three years; evidently the fans were just as eager, as Murray was greeted by a lengthy standing ovation when he took the stage. He drew laughs with jokes about "Meatballs," his story about meeting Hunter S. Thompson poolside in Aspen, and when asked where he got the "zen karma in his performances," replied "Bed, Bath & Beyond." Murray also offered more wise insights into his career and his profession, and talked about the sense of duty he felt when tackling Polonius in "Hamlet" and other more serious roles.

When an audience member asked about his role in Wes Anderson's forthcoming "The Life Aquatic," Murray said the shoot was "an absolute hell" as it stretched from a planned three months to more than five months, and the cast and crew had to deal with the cold Italian winter. But it was evidently worth it: "It's the best movie that [Anderson] has ever made," Murray said. "I'm proud of everything that's on the screen." When an audience member blurted out that Murray was robbed of the Oscar for "Lost in Translation," he smiled and assured that audience, "I'm really okay... I don't care about the prizes. Making movies is the only thing I can do really well in my life that's not a disaster." In closing, special guests told their favorite stories about Murray, from the producer that Murray pranked by putting gravel in his hubcaps to Jim Jarmusch's recollection of walking down the street 12 years ago when Murray recognized HIM and invited him out for a cup of coffee (Murray now appears as himself in Jarmusch's forthcoming "Coffee and Cigarettes.")

Before the Q&A, BUZZ was lucky enough to attend a rare screening of "Nothing Lasts Forever," a little-seen 1984 gem written and directed by Tom Schiller, one of the great SNL writers who happens to be married to our pal (and former indieWIRE editor) Jacque Lynn Schiller. The film is both retro and futuristic (and also perfectly mocks the '80s art scene), exploring a world in which New York City is ruled by the Port Authority and a man searches for love and artistic inspiration by taking a bus (manned by Bill Murray) to the moon. This was Schiller's only feature film, and Murray remarked that renewed interest in this one might spur Schiller to make another one. Murray called the director "one of the few people I think of as being truly brilliant," and also quipped that Schiller's old SNL sketches "come from another planet, like Tom."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Chest Rockwell

That's really great. Now I'm salivating more at the thought of Life Aquatic.
He should be giving a little press/fan conference in my hometown in early May, which would be awesome.

Just Withnail

Quote from: MacGuffinhis story about meeting Hunter S. Thompson poolside in Aspen

Has anybody seen "Where the Buffalo roam"?

modage

Quote from: Withnail
Quote from: MacGuffinhis story about meeting Hunter S. Thompson poolside in Aspen

Has anybody seen "Where the Buffalo roam"?
yeah i got it on vhs for a couple bucks when i was in high school.  its okay, but no fear and loathing.  worth checking out though if you like murray, and i believe a neil young score.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Chest Rockwell

So Bill is making an appearance here tonight. Should I bring something to sign, in case he does do some signings? Does that come off as too fanboy? And what do most people bring to signings? I was thinking my copy of LIT or Groundhog Day or something. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.