Bill Murray

Started by Chest Rockwell, February 21, 2004, 09:12:30 PM

Chest Rockwell

Well I thought he was amazing in Lost in Translation, Rushmore, Royal Tenenbaums, etc. I'm surprised no one's posted about him yet (I searched and found nothing, but I won't be too surprised if I'm redirected). Anyone else agree he should win the Best Actor award?

Alethia

i agree!!!  and he also made my childhood what it was, seeing as how the ghostbusters movies were my world way back when

matt35mm

I also agree.  He has a very good shot.  It's about 50-50 between him and Sean Penn.

Now, I love Sean Penn, but just thinking about Bill Murray in Lost in Translation makes me feel as good as the movie did.  Sean Penn will be nominated again, probably.  This was Murray's perfect role, though, and those only come around once (or so).

Sanjuro

another very tough decision here as in with best actress.  murrays acting was much more subtler than penn. penn gave a powerful performance as to murrays more reserved one (well the roles called for it and penn is really known for his powerful performances), but yes it would be great to see murray win!

and yes he was my favorite ghostbuster!
"When you see your own photo, do you say you're a fiction?"

Chest Rockwell

He was everone's favorite ghostbuster. Anyone that disagrees is just wierd. But seriously, i personally think he should win the Oscar, simply because he'll probably never get this much attention again while Sean Penn will go on to be one of those actors nominated every year. I personally think Penn's performance in 21 Grams was better than that in Mystic River, though. Comparatively speaking, I think there's no question of Bill's superiority when put up against Mystic River-Penn; had it been Bill vs. 21 Grams-Penn, it'd be a tougher call.

A Matter Of Chance

I think he deserves it. I mean, Sean Penn is great too, but Murray has been overlooked enough. Given his work in Rushmore and Groundhog Day, I think this should be his third nomination. I am probabl being a bit naive saying that, too. But I think it's about time the Oscars chose to recognize a great actor as flexible as Bill.

mogwai

bill murray will win because the academy doesn't like actors who doesn't show up at the awards. i have nothing against sean penn but we all know how it works over there.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: mogwaĆ­bill murray will win because the academy doesn't like actors who doesn't show up at the awards. i have nothing against sean penn but we all know how it works over there.

I don't know about that....I think they've been waiting to give it to Penn. And hasn't Bill publicly denounced the Oscars, calling them "bullshit politics" or something to that effect?

mogwai

Quote from: Chest RockwellAnd hasn't Bill publicly denounced the Oscars, calling them "bullshit politics" or something to that effect?
sort of...

imdb.com:

"Movie funnyman Bill Murray has no desire to win an Oscar - because awards mean nothing to him. And the 53-year-old Ghostbuster - who is favorite to win the Best Actor prize next year for his role in Lost In Translation - despises thespians who campaign for award recognition. Bill says, "It's a really unattractive sight to see an actor or actress who really wants an Oscar. And you often see it on the show, you see their faces and the desperation is so ugly. Desperation is not a quality I long for. I'm over the Oscar. Sometimes people win it and you think, 'This can't be true.' It's a little bit of a popularity contest, too. Sometimes it's right, but it's wrong just as often, so I don't care. I'd rather make movies that lots of people saw and liked. I'm happy with the results."

cine

Quote from: mogwaibill murray will win because the academy doesn't like actors who doesn't show up at the awards. i have nothing against sean penn but we all know how it works over there.
*cough*cough*polanski*cough*cough*

mogwai

i agree with the second cough.

Chest Rockwell

That was it: 'popularity contest' was what I was thinking of. Is he really the favorite? One friend of mine in a drama class holding a small contest to see who can predict the most Oscar winners came to me for help and I suggested Sean Penn before Bill Murray, though I told her it'd be one of the two for sure.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Chest RockwellOne friend of mine in a drama class holding a small contest to see who can predict the most Oscar winners came to me for help and I suggested Sean Penn before Bill Murray, though I told her it'd be one of the two for sure.

Did you even think Adrian Brody would win last year? Don't be so sure. Weinstein probably bought Jude Law's Oscar like he did Paltrow's.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: Chest RockwellOne friend of mine in a drama class holding a small contest to see who can predict the most Oscar winners came to me for help and I suggested Sean Penn before Bill Murray, though I told her it'd be one of the two for sure.

Did you even think Adrian Brody would win last year? Don't be so sure. Weinstein probably bought Jude Law's Oscar like he did Paltrow's.

Good point. I also didn't suspect Denzel or Halle. I'll withdraw into a week of depression if Jude Law wins.

modage

Quote from: Chest RockwellGood point. I also didn't suspect Denzel or Halle. I'll withdraw into a week of depression if Jude Law wins.
why?  because they're BLACK?!!? ADMIT IT!!!....mogwai
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.