anyone see PSH on Inside the Actor's Studio?

Started by boombanglarrabee, December 28, 2003, 10:25:34 PM

wilder

Yeah I'm with P Heat on BtDKYD - performance, anyway.

Reel

as good as he was in it, I saw it as more of an ensemble piece where he was filling one of the roles in a variety of triangles (love,family, business) which made it a great movie, but is wasn't about just him. Capote was a very good example of one that I looked over, which might be up there with my favorite. 'Doubt' would have to be one of my absolute favorites, but again I wasn't sure because of the ensemble quality, but I really really liked him in it. I just thought 'Love Liza' really captured a lot of whats good about him, and how far he's capable of taking a role. The movie has kind of a hazy, grainy quality to it from whatever type of film it was shot on and it hit me that PSH really deserves a lot better, and now he's getting it.  8)

Jeremy Blackman

Capote is probably PSH's worst performance. It's impersonation, which is not interesting, and not his strength.

Beyond the obvious PTA examples, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead is an excellent candidate.

Stefen

Did anyone manage to get all the way through Synecdoche, New York? How was he in that?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Jeremy Blackman

I didn't really like him in that either, which surprised me. In that case, he didn't have anything good to work with... he was okay, but it was basically a bunch of random acting that went nowhere.

wilder

I fucking hate Synechdoche...hate it hate it hate it. I think of that movie and I feel angry.

Jeremy Blackman

Agree. I think what's frustrating is that something so complex could be so intensely boring. It violates physics in some way.

Also, the oldifying makeup was really bad.

wilder

The final 30 minutes of the movie...when PSH verbalizes the "point" of the whole thing...would be entirely unnecessary if the previous 2 hours had succsessfully dramatized the things Kaufman lazily attempted to insert in that final "I KNOW EVERYTHING" monologue.