Kevin Spacey

Started by filmcritic, July 26, 2003, 10:23:47 AM

Chest Rockwell

He sounds like a nice guy from that.

ono

He does sound like a nice guy.  This, on the other hand, is not so nice:
QuoteSpacey's Brother Reveals Abusive Past
Hollywood actor Kevin Spacey's older brother Randall Fowler has unveiled a dark harrowing past, where he was sexually abused by their Nazi-obsessed father. Fowler, who earns his money as a Rod Stewart look-alike, is currently working on a book called I'm Spacey's Brother Whether He Likes It Or Not, in which he plans to expose an array of buried family secrets - including his own abuse by his would-be writer father Geoff, who died in 1992 at the age of 68. According to Fowler, his father was an ultra right-wing, perverted sadist and a member of the American Nazi party who trimmed his moustache to resemble his idol Adolf Hitler. And while he claims his father regularly beat Kevin and their sister Julie, Randall says he was put through the horror of sexual molestation. He says, "I constantly threatened my father that if he ever touched (Kevin) I'd confront my mother with what was going on and that would destroy the family. I really felt I was sacrificing myself for the sake of my little bother. (Kevin) was so determined to avoid the whippings, that he just minded his Ps and Qs until there was nothing inside. He had no feelings." Spacey's spokesperson Staci Wolfe tells America's Star magazine, "(Randall's) claim against his father is a very serious one and has been a difficult personal family matter. The family all feel deeply for his situation. Kevin has not experienced any of the distress his brother describes - he has never been a victim of abuse. He can only sympathize with him." Randall claims that in 1987, he confronted Spacey about his sexuality, to which the actor responded, "I don't consider myself heterosexual, homosexual or bisexual - just sexual." Randall adds, "To the best of my knowledge, Kevin has never had a real relationship with anyone except our mother. He's an empty vessel. Neither of us had a chance, growing up with two such damaged parents."
~IMDb.com
I like the Freudian slip in the quote there about Fowler's "sacrifice."  No wonder Spacey uses the name he does, though.

El Duderino

yeah, i heard about that on Howard Stern...that's so messed up.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

SiliasRuby

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

SHAFTR

Quote from: SiliasRubyJesus, How Sad.

you said it man
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

cine

Quote from: SHAFTR
Quote from: SiliasRubyJesus, How Sad.
you said it woman

Thrindle

The news about Kevin Spacey and his family secrets didn't really surprise me (no I'm not being a cynic).  I've always thought that there is something about Kevin Spacey that is a little off - and no I'm not speaking about his sexuality cuz that's just redundant.  It's hard to explain, but it's as though his smile in pictures could never hide the look in his eyes.

I CAN'T EXPLAIN THIS ONE, JUST LOOK:

See, his eyes are never smiling too....
Classic.

molly

Why did his brother do this over newspaper? If they are victims, i don't think that any newspaper should have accepted this. It leads to relativisation of abuse.

MacGuffin

Kevin Spacey to Appear in Reality Show

Kevin Spacey has played Bobby Darin and one of "The Usual Suspects." Now the actor-director will take on the role of mentor to showbiz interns in "Going Hollywood," a new eight-part TLC reality series.

The series, slated to premiere this fall, promises to go beyond the velvet rope and document the business of being an A-list celebrity.

"The Hollywood featured in `Going Hollywood' is a place few have seen, and is a refreshing take on what we all believe constitutes `celebrity,'" David Abraham, TLC executive vice president and general manager, said in a statement Tuesday. "Beyond the glamorous premieres and jet-set travel is a world where grit, ambition and, above all, hard work, are the stuff that dreams are made of."

Spacey will be joined by producer Robert Evans and rapper-actor Method Man. During each hour-long episode, the interns will be featured working for Spacey's Trigger Street Productions, The Robert Evans Co. and Method Man Enterprises.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

I dont think its right to just call him "one of the usual suspects"... but thats me

Pubrick

i prefer to call him "one of the usual has-beens"..
under the paving stones.

Kal

why? after the usual suspects it took him some years to get back but then he won another oscar... and now he'll be back also as Lex Luthor... not bad buddy

Pubrick

Quote from: andykaland now he'll be back also as Lex Luthor... not bad buddy
he was cursed by a gypsy after American Beauty and until proven otherwise i expect superman will be affected too, or at least his scenes.
under the paving stones.

mogwai

Spacey: "I Gave Up After Oscar"

Kevin Spacey's career peaked when he won the Best Actor Oscar for American Beauty in 2000, and he has dedicated himself to helping others ever since. The actor decided to quit striving for greater success and has thrown himself into projects like his artistic directorship of London's Old Vic theatre. He says, "As far as I'm concerned, when I looked at what happened in my career in 2000 - after American Beauty - I thought it couldn't get much better. What was I going to spend the rest of my life doing? Trying to top myself? Trying to stay hot, trying to make sure I was in the right movies? I don't give a s**t. I'm trying to do something with my success which is bigger than myself. I'm no longer interested in my personal career. I am interested in the impact I can have on a lot of other people's careers and on audiences."

modage

Quote from: mogwai on June 16, 2006, 07:42:19 AM
Spacey: "I Gave Up After Oscar"

Kevin Spacey's career peaked when he won the Best Actor Oscar for American Beauty in 2000, and he has dedicated himself to helping others ever since. The actor decided to quit striving for greater success and has thrown himself into projects like his artistic directorship of London's Old Vic theatre. He says, "As far as I'm concerned, when I looked at what happened in my career in 2000 - after American Beauty - I thought it couldn't get much better. What was I going to spend the rest of my life doing? Trying to top myself? Trying to stay hot, trying to make sure I was in the right movies? I don't give a s**t. I'm trying to do something with my success which is bigger than myself. I'm no longer interested in my personal career. I am interested in the impact I can have on a lot of other people's careers and on audiences."

:ponder:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.