What the hell is wrong with Tom Cruise?

Started by filmcritic, July 22, 2003, 03:34:31 PM

The Perineum Falcon

Quick, somebody give me a redirect or update on this whole Tom vs. Brooke deal!
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ranemaka13Quick, somebody give me a redirect or update on this whole Tom vs. Brooke deal!

Brooke & Tom's War of the Words

Brooke Shields has officially engaged with Tom Cruise in what is fast becoming a celebrity war of the words.

After Cruise criticized Shields' use of antidepressants as "irresponsible" during an interview with Access Hollywood last week, Shields has suggested the leading man keep his opinions to himself.

"Tom Cruise's comments are irresponsible and dangerous," Shields said in London last week. "Tom should stick to saving the world from aliens and let women who are experiencing postpartum depression decide what treatment options are best for them."

Shields recently published Down Came the Rain, a personal chronicle of her struggle with depression following the 2003 birth of her daughter, Rowan. The memoir delves into the actress' use of Paxil as a form of treatment for her condition and is meant to inspire other women to seek help.

"Don't be ashamed, and don't disregard what you are feeling," Shields writes in the book. "I recovered only because I got help."

The actress has said she is currently in the process of weaning herself from the drug in order to try for a second child with husband Chris Henchy.

However, as a dedicated follower of Scientology, Cruise is of the belief that mind-altering medications of any kind are "dangerous" and that women should treat conditions such as postpartum depression with "vitamins." Hence his stamp of disapproval on Shields' choice to use Paxil and to discuss that choice in her memoir.

"When you talk about postpartum, you can take people today, women, and what you do is you use vitamins. There is a hormonal thing that is going on, scientifically, you can prove that. But when you talk about emotional, chemical imbalances in people, there is no science behind that," the actor told Access Hollywood.

"When someone says [medication] has helped them, it is to cope, it didn't cure anything. There is no science. There is nothing that can cure them whatsoever," Cruise said.

Cruise went on to make a not-so-subtle jab at the former Suddenly Susan star's professional life.

"I care about Brooke Shields because I think she is an incredibly talented women, [but] look at where her career has gone."

Ouch. True, Shields' latest pilot, New Car Smell, was recently passed over by Fox, but the actress has been earning positive reviews in the role of Roxie Hart in the London theater production of Chicago.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Perineum Falcon

Thanks Mac. I knew I could count on you. :yabbse-wink:  :kiss:

Quote from: Ghostboyhttp://drtomcruisemd.blogspot.com/
It all makes sense now.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Stefen

This guy is so fake. He just gets on my nerves. Even now in this interview I just saw him on, every other word out of his mouth was "that's hot" what's hot? Tom Cruise is on Stefens shit list.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Kal

I dont want you to feel bad but I dont think he gives a shit  :kiss:

Stefen

Yeah, thats why hes on my shit list. He's an arrogant faker.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Kal

good point

I still think he is great for what he is supposed to be... a good actor, a great celebrity that always makes headlines with some crazy shit, and he is working on fun projects

thats all i need... i dont give a shit about his personal life or how crazy he is because it doesnt really affect me at all

Pas

Quote from: andykalgood point

I still think he is great for what he is supposed to be... a good actor, a great celebrity that always makes headlines with some crazy shit, and he is working on fun projects

thats all i need... i dont give a shit about his personal life or how crazy he is because it doesnt really affect me at all

Completly agree. Celebrities are meant for stuff like that. Tom Cruise is one of my favorite celebrity because he won't stop saying/doing stupid shit and that's just nice.

MacGuffin

Tom Cruise Proposes to Katie Holmes

Actor Tom Cruise said he and girlfriend Katie Holmes are engaged, after he popped the question early Friday morning atop the Eiffel Tower.

Cruise, speaking at a Paris news conference with Holmes, said: "Yes, I proposed to her."

The couple often shared smiles and blushes as Cruise turned to look at her, with a massive diamond ring on her finger.

"It was early this morning at the Eiffel Tower, so I haven't slept at all," he said. "Today is a magnificent day for me, I'm engaged to a magnificent woman."

Asked why he chose the famed Paris landmark, he said: "I've never been to the Eiffel Tower. It's Paris, it's a beautiful city, it's very romantic."

Cruise said no date for a wedding has been set: "We haven't discussed that one step at a time," he said. "Let's see. We're not sure."

Cruise, 42, was in Paris to promote the French release of the Steven Spielberg film "War of the Worlds" next month. He and 26-year-old Holmes went public with their romantic relationship in April.

Holmes did not speak to reporters, but at one point, Cruise whispered to her: "Are you OK?" Afterward, the two hurried into a car before leaving for a promotional event in Marseilles, southern France.

"I wish them the happiest marriage that anyone has ever had," said Dakota Fanning, the child actress who co-stars with Cruise in the film. She sat next to Holmes during the news conference.

Cruise and Holmes have faced repeated rumors of marriage. The relationship started after Cruise split from actress Penelope Cruz, and Holmes and actor Chris Klein called off their long-standing engagement.

While in Berlin two days ago, Cruise dismissed speculation by tabloid newspapers and celebrity gossip columns that their relationship is a stunt to promote their new movies.

Holmes was in London earlier this week to promote her new film, "Batman Begins." She had also dismissed accusations that the couple had staged a relationship for publicity.

Holmes said then that she was embracing Scientology Cruise's religion. The former star of television's "Dawson's Creek" grew up with a poster of Cruise on her bedroom wall and has said she grew up wanting to marry him.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

They'll be divorced by the time MI3 comes out... or maybe Batman Continues

modage

Quote from: MacGuffinWhile in Berlin two days ago, Cruise dismissed speculation by tabloid newspapers and celebrity gossip columns that their relationship is a stunt to promote their new movies.
maybe their new movies are just a stunt to promote their relationship?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Finn

well I figured it was coming sooner or later, it probably won't last because

A) too much of an age difference

B) he'll realize she's not that great and just a young girl as immature as any

C) I'm sure nicole kidman has no desire to share her kids with her so they'll be some conflict there
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: MacGuffin"I wish them the happiest marriage that anyone has ever had," said Dakota Fanning, the child actress who co-stars with Cruise in the film. She sat next to Holmes during the news conference.
It's always good to know that Dakota Fanning has your back.

Stefen

Holmes is a fool if she marrys that goblin, and converts to scientology. Just cuz.

jtm

a good friend of mine who has worked with Tom Cruise numerous times swears that he is indeed, queer to the bone.

don't know how true it is, just thought i'd throw it out there.