What the hell is wrong with Tom Cruise?

Started by filmcritic, July 22, 2003, 03:34:31 PM

filmcritic

While looking over "In Front of the Camera", I realized that there was no thread for Tom Cruise. He's a great actor and has worked with many talented directors. "Vanilla Sky", "Eyes Wide Shut", "Magnolia", "Born on the Fourth of July", "Jerry Maguire" and many other movies have really shown is depth as an actor.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

ElPandaRoyal

Indeed. And I tell you something... it really pisses me of when people say he can't act. He's done a great number of films and amazing performances, my favourite being as Frank T. J. Mackey. He's great.
Si

filmcritic

"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

rustinglass

I think magnolia and eyes wide shut show that he can act. the "no, I don't want a microphone" bit in magnolia is his best work, in my opinion.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Alethia

He doesn't have much range, per se, i mean every performance is a Tom Cruise performance (including Magnolia, just a bit more hyped up than usual), but fuck man...nobody can do the shit he can do.  He's Tom Cruise.  End of story.  He is Tom Motherfucking Cruise.  Nobody else can do the wide eyed, jaw agape, staring off into space, thinking intensely, then bursting into a screaming fit proceeding to curl up on the floor in hysterics better than him.  Plus I don't think I'd want to see anybody crawling across the top of a speeding train, wrestling with John Voight, more than Tom Cruise.  There are several other actors who are all their own in every film in that sense (harrison ford, woody allen, etc), but y'know, who the fuck else would we want to see do it?

Tom Cruise is a terrific actor.

rustinglass

Quote from: ewardThere are several other actors who are all their own in every film in that sense (harrison ford, woody allen, etc)

Can you imagine Tom Selleck was going to do Indiana Jones? I can't.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Alethia

yeah i honestly don't see that either................what about richard dreyfuss as han solo??????

actually, i really would have liked to have seen that..........

jonas

I agree. I think he gets a lot of flak because he's such a box office draw and household name.

He's great in:
Born on the 4th of July
Magnolia
Eyes Wide Shut
Interview with the Vampire

I also thought he was decent in Jerry Maguire, Minority Report and Vanilla Sky. I'm awaiting the Last Samurai.
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

SHAFTR

I think Cruise, along with Jim Carrey, are on top of their craft so much so it looks easy.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

filmcritic

What do ya'll think is his best performance?
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Alethia

filmcritic

"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

oakmanc234

I was suprised how fucking good he was in 'Minority Report'. They advertised it like it was just some action hero gig for him, but he did some truly great dramatic stuff there.

His performance in 'Vanilla Sky' was under-rated too. Looking forward to 'Last Samurai'.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

filmcritic

Yes, a lot of his work is underrated. He should have been up for an Oscar for "Vanilla Sky", "Eyes Wide Shut" and "Rain Man".
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert