Philip Baker Hall

Started by filmcritic, June 18, 2003, 05:01:04 PM

filmcritic

Philip Baker Hall is the greatest American actor. He gave a great and believable performance in "Secret Honor", playing Richard Nixon. He then starred in P.T. Anderson's first film, "Hard Eight", playing Sydney. Both performances are classics in there own way and they are both seriously underrated. The problem is that most people who read this haven't seen "Secret Honor" and that's nothing more than a real shame. But some of you out there at least saw him in "Hard Eight". Both films are masterpieces.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

i was kicked out of philp baker hall for sticking my dick in the orange jello , so my lawyer made a deal and now i am allowed to only hang out in monty hall

Ernie

I think Philip Baker Hall is a great actor let me just say before I say anything else...

but I'm going to have to disagree with PTA and you, I think he's pretty far from the GREATEST...American or not. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy...I guess I've just never really seen enough of what PTA sees in him to call him anything close to the greatest...he's really not. Like, I couldn't believe what PTA was saying when he was talking about having a choice between De Niro and PBH...he said he would choose PBH...that's just crazy I think. Anyway, that's just me. I think the guy is a really great actor and looks like a pretty nice guy too seeing him on the magnolia diary.

i love that PTA picked pbh as being better then deniro

i loved that he did it,

when his fans do it well then thats fucking cheesy

i hate when fans pick their opinions based on what the directer or whoever thought of it

thats why that post where directers list their top ten films is not that great a thing, sufre it could be used as a effective tool, but it could also be abused when some morons use it as a guide as to what they should think

you should like something because you like it, and not because someone cool picked it

dont pick your fav scene in a movie based on what the directer thought was his, im sure he loves all the sceanes and would want to hear feedback from all differnt sceanes, lester im talking to you here

And PTA picked PBH Way before it was cool for anyone else to pick him, thats why he is the great one

now if we are done here i would just like tos ay that phill collins is the fucking man

Ernie

Ok, yea...I totally agree with that, that is great...I didn't think of that at all before. Now, I am glad he chose PBH too. Although I don't agree with PTA about PBH, I think it's cool that he has such an original favorite actor and that he sort of made PBH a better known actor and gave him some good roles. Just like I don't like Putney Swope but I think it's funny and cool that he likes it and calls it an influence. And then how he calls Jonathan Demme the best filmmaker ever...again, I don't agree...but it's cool that he thinks that...I've always thought that. That's the kind of stuff I want to do too. Work with unknowns that I think are great and reference really obscure films as influences...that's awesome.

Thanks for making me see this Pantolones...that's a much better way to look at it. Should have figured that out a long time ago.

Quote from: ebeaman

Thanks for making me see this Pantolones...that's a much better way to look at it. Should have figured that out a long time ago.

wow im getting better at this, not once did i go off on a ovitz esc tangent

but ya know what , your not sopused to agree with people you look up to all the time, so its cool that your not a putney swope fan, im sure there is a film out there that you love that lots of people wont

ok now im back off to monty hall where i have to bus tables, so i can pay for my new banjo , which i plan on using to re record "california love "

Ernie

Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalones
Quote from: ebeaman

wow im getting better at this, not once did i go off on a ovitz esc tangent

but ya know what , your not sopused to agree with people you look up to all the time, so its cool that your not a putney swope fan, im sure there is a film out there that you love that lots of people wont

Oh yeah, of course. I've never pretended to agree with PTA all the time, I'm no sycophant or whatever...people like that can really annoy me. I do agree with him most of the time though however, like 90% of the time...which makes sense to me. I mean, I love his stuff so much, it makes sense that I would love a lot of the stuff he's influenced by and stuff he likes. Cause I feel like in the first post I made in this thread I kind of made it sound like I never agree with PTA. Cause that's far from the truth. I think it's probably common to disagree with somebody when they're making such bold statements as naming someone the BEST actor of all time or the BEST director of all time as PTA did with PBH and Demme, you know...so it happens.

And yea, I realize I'll probably have some of my favorites (whether actor, director, or movie) that people will find unbelievable in the future. Like Edward Scissorhands, I think it's one of the top 5 best movies of all time...that's probably going to be one of them. But that's fine with me. I'd hate to have everybody agree with me on everything.

i agree with a lot of what my heros like, for example i am a motown fanatic and the stones borrowed a lot from motown.

pta, i dig lots of the stuff he likes

but ya know what i mean

filmcritic

I went to "Bruce Almighty" again yesterday for several reasons and one was to see PBH again. I have to admit that I've never really seen him on the big screen before. While I was watching him, he seemed like he had a lot of comic energy on screen when he's away from "Secret Honor" and "Hard Eight". I heard that he was on an episode of "Seinfeld" at some point and I heard it was one of the best episodes ever. He's done other television before which I've never seen. Has anyone?
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

modage

wait, you didnt see THE TALENTED MR RIPLEY, MAGNOLIA, THE INSIDER, PSYCHO, ENEMY OF THE STATE, THE TRUMAN SHOW, BOOGIE NIGHTS, or AIR FORCE ONE in the theatre?!?  NONE of them?  or you just saw them all in a theatre with a really small screen?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

filmcritic

Well, I am pretty young to have seen most of the movies in theatres, but a couple of them I have. But I'm not counting them because at the time I wasn't really familiar with PBH. I wasn't really looking for him. I have only known about him for a couple of years and that's it. But when "Bruce Almighty" came out, I was very familiar with him. Now, I have gone back to look at his other roles (obviously on video).
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

bonanzataz

i'm still pissed off at my mom for seeing magnolia without me. i wanted to see it so bad and i had to wait for fucking video.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

filmcritic

I found that PBH will be appearing in the new film "Dogville". It's directed by the great Lars Von Trier and starring Nicole Kidman. PBH, as always, doesn't have a huge role but a significant one. I don't have a release date right now for the U.S. It played at the Cannes Film Festival and it will be showing soon in foreign countries.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

filmcritic

I have some good news for PBH fans. He will be appearing in "In Control of All Things", which will be released in 2004 (they are currently filming).
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert