RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

Started by Reinhold, February 02, 2014, 12:38:36 PM

N

This makes me want to bury myself in debt and go to the US for a week.

jenkins

pretty obvs there could be a san fran xixaxcon. what would everyone wear

Pubrick

Quote from: N on February 21, 2014, 05:23:50 PM
This makes me want to bury myself in debt and go to the US for a week.

That's dumb. Just watch them at home. There's nothing special about these particular screenings.
under the paving stones.

N

Quote from: Pubrick
That's dumb. Just watch them at home. There's nothing special about these particular screenings.

Yeah, that was dumb.

Neil

N, you have a theatre in your house?

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Reel

Cloudy

Just a bummer Master's not in 70 this time =\

N

I've never seen a movie on real film.
Is it that different from digital theaters?

Reel

It's hard to describe, but there's more depth when you're watching projected film. Richer contrast, warmer color. Digital projection may be crystal clear but doesn't feel as alive. Theres gotta be a dozen conversations about this around here somewhere.

Brando

I'm just passing on a link.

http://vimeo.com/87873042

"A post-script journey through Philip Seymour Hoffman's lifetime in cinema.

200 hours of work went into breaking down 47 of Hoffman's films. Compiling his legacy has been one of the most challenging experiences I've ever faced as an editor, and yet indescribably rewarding. I can assure you that after 22 years on screen and nearly fifty films, we now look at the work of an actor who never had a single dishonest moment on camera. I know because I've seen them all. Please take a breather and raise your glasses to one of our greatest.

APPEARANCES
Joaquin Phoenix, Jude Law, Helen Hunt, Ben Stiller, Jeff Bridges, Robert De Niro, Ricky Gervais, Louis CK, Tom Hanks, Cathrine Keener, Sarah Jessica Parker, Ryan Gosling, Tom Cruise, Michelle Monaghan, Ethan Hawke, Adam Sandler (voice), Kathy Bates, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Laura Linney, Barry Pepper, Paul Newman, Marisa Tomei, Brad Pitt, Meryl Streep, Robin Williams, Philip Baker Hall, Julianne Moore, Clifton Collins Jr., Chris O'Donnel, Michell Williams, Samantha Morton, Emily Watson, Andy Garcia, Mark Wahlberg, John C. Reily, Bill Paxton

FEATURED WORKS
2012 A Late Quartet
2012 The Master
2011 Moneyball
2011 The Ides of March
2010 Jack Goes Boating
2009 The Invention of Lying
2009 Pirate Radio
2009 Mary and Max
2008 Doubt
2008 Synecdoche, New York
2007 Charlie Wilson's War
2007 Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
2007 The Savages
2006 Mission: Impossible III
2005 Capote
2005 Empire Falls (TV Movie)
2004 Along Came Polly
2003 Cold Mountain
2003 Mattress Man Commercial (Video short)
2003 Owning Mahowny
2002 25th Hour
2002 Punch-Drunk Love
2002 Love Liza
2000 Almost Famous
2000 State and Main
1999 The Talented Mr. Ripley
1999 Magnolia
1999 Flawless
1998 Patch Adams
1998 Happiness
1998 The Big Lebowski
1998 Next Stop Wonderland
1998 Montana
1997 Boogie Nights
1996 Twister
1996 Hard Eight
1994 Nobody's Fool
1994 When a Man Loves a Woman
1993 Money for Nothing
1993 My Boyfriend's Back
1992 Scent of a Woman
1992 Leap of Faith
1991 Law & Order"
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Cloudy

Is by chance anyone's name here Dennis? I met a really cool, rabid PTA fan at The Master screening who could have been a Xixaxer.
12+ viewing in theaters(lost count), one of the best yet...

Frederico Fellini

We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

mogwai

^

That clip is heartwarming and also the best parts of the documentary on Magnolia. But there's something PTA says when he spits out the mouthwash, he says "Sorry Frank". Is "Frank" Tom Cruise who sits in the background in a sort of comatose state?

Pubrick

Quote from: Christian on March 08, 2014, 02:24:48 AM
Is "Frank" Tom Cruise who sits in the background in a sort of comatose state?

Frank is referring to Frank TJ Makckey, who as you know is Tom Cruise's character. Not sure what comatose state you had in mind, but the scene PTA and PSH are working on in this clip is towards the end of the movie when Frank has arrived at the residence of Earl Partridge and goes to sit by his bedside and call him a piece of shit etc.

during this extremely emotional scene between father and estranged son, Phil Parma stands in the background at a distance and out of focus. PTA is making fun of PSH by suggesting he will overact this moment where he really should be doing as little as possible, as the point of the scene will be taking place in the foreground. in other words PSH will be "hamming" it up, and delivering a "cheesy" performance, hence PTA's hilarious encapsulation of PSH's approach as "a study in ham and cheese". it's funny because PSH is obviously a great actor and he would have to be a complete amateur to actually do all that.

the other funny part is that obviously PTA and PSH have a lot of private jokes, being old friends. and we're made privy to one such running gag when PTA suggests that PSH will perhaps take a pen to his mouth and click it against his teeth as part of his background action. the reference here is that this is something PSH actually did as Scotty J in Boogie Nights, you can see the clipboard and pen here where he leads Dirk to the set:

in that scene Scotty keeps putting the pen in his mouth, of course there is a rather obvious sexual connotation to it as he is at the same time drooling over Dirk, the pen becomes a phallic object. so it is a bit "cheesy" in how not-subtle it is. this is why PSH in the magnolia doco says "three years later and we're still talking about it", i guess he came up with that part on his own. it's kind of brilliant really, i don't think it's any more cheesy than using the song You Sexy Thing to play during the first time Scotty sees Dirk at the pool party, in a POV shot no less.
under the paving stones.

Pozer

Quote from: Pubrick on March 09, 2014, 11:40:14 AM
Quote from: Christian on March 08, 2014, 02:24:48 AM
Is "Frank" Tom Cruise who sits in the background in a sort of comatose state?

Frank is referring to Frank TJ Makckey, who as you know is Tom Cruise's character. Not sure what comatose state you had in mind, but the scene PTA and PSH are working on in this clip is towards the end of the movie when Frank has arrived at the residence of Earl Partridge and goes to sit by his bedside and call him a piece of shit etc.

during this extremely emotional scene between father and estranged son, Phil Parma stands in the background at a distance and out of focus. PTA is making fun of PSH by suggesting he will overact this moment where he really should be doing as little as possible, as the point of the scene will be taking place in the foreground. in other words PSH will be "hamming" it up, and delivering a "cheesy" performance, hence PTA's hilarious encapsulation of PSH's approach as "a study in ham and cheese". it's funny because PSH is obviously a great actor and he would have to be a complete amateur to actually do all that.

the other funny part is that obviously PTA and PSH have a lot of private jokes, being old friends. and we're made privy to one such running gag when PTA suggests that PSH will perhaps take a pen to his mouth and click it against his teeth as part of his background action. the reference here is that this is something PSH actually did as Scotty J in Boogie Nights, you can see the clipboard and pen here where he leads Dirk to the set:

in that scene Scotty keeps putting the pen in his mouth, of course there is a rather obvious sexual connotation to it as he is at the same time drooling over Dirk, the pen becomes a phallic object. so it is a bit "cheesy" in how not-subtle it is. this is why PSH in the magnolia doco says "three years later and we're still talking about it", i guess he came up with that part on his own. it's kind of brilliant really, i don't think it's any more cheesy than using the song You Sexy Thing to play during the first time Scotty sees Dirk at the pool party, in a POV shot no less.

I think Christian might be talking about the guy on the couch in the background of that clip. Highly doubt that's Cruise as he was anti-That Moment.

EDIT: quoted P's significant insight as more accessible top-o-the page cache for when said recoverer comes probing.