most annoying actors

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 12, 2003, 08:46:42 PM

chainsmoking insomniac

Russell Crowe sucks ass (except for The Insider)
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Gold Trumpet

I'll agree with Russel Crowe. He really is an actor who is trying his hardest to be that leading man type, but he really lacks all the charisma of that man when trying to play that part. But he tries so hard to be suave and have that kind of look when his vocal abilities and look and appearance in general just keep him back. Watching A Beautiful Mind is to watch someone trying so hard to play that kind of part with little success.

The other that comes to mind is Renee Zelwegger. As hard as she tries too, she doesn't seem comfortable in her own skin. Her acting is her just trying to say a line without giving a twitch or glance that something is wrong and she is freaking out over nothing. And as Stanley Kauffmann once said, Neil Labute's greatest achievement may in fact be that he made her bearable to watch.

~rougerum

children with angels

Quote from: The Gold Trumpetas Stanley Kauffmann once said, Neil Labute's greatest achievement may in fact be that he made her bearable to watch.

Yeah, I thought she was really good in Nurse Betty. The scene where she's on set and Greg Kinnear is asking her to improvise, and she just has a nervous breakdown... I thought that was impressive.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Newtron

Quote from: mogwaiCan you guess which movie it is taken from?
P, T, & A.

Heh, look at that.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: SantaClauseWasA BlackManmogwais new pic is one the best i have seen so far
Can you guess which movie it is taken from?

plain trains and automobiles

i double compliment your choice, its so fucking cool

chainsmoking insomniac

Let's not forget Keanu Reaves who IMO is quite possibly the worst actor ever to disgrace our presence.  :-D
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

pookiethecat

you know, i used to think that, until my own private idaho.  i mean he's not great in that movie, but it definitely proves the notion that he is the worst actor ever wrong.  have you seen it, punchdrunk?  it might change your mind a bit.

oh, and uh, between you and me, what does IMO mean?   :oops:
i wanna lick 'em.

MacGuffin

Quote from: pookiethecatyou know, i used to think that, until my own private idaho.  i mean he's not great in that movie, but it definitely proves the notion that he is the worst actor ever wrong.  have you seen it, punchdrunk?  it might change your mind a bit.

oh, and uh, between you and me, what does IMO mean?   :oops:

In My Opinion.

But you can watch Keanu in something like "Idaho" or "The Gift" and be surprised, but then you watch "Dracula"  wonder 'what the hell?'
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

phil marlowe

i think that johnny mnemonic or what its called takes the price. hes a lousy actor in everything i've seen except bill and ted where he was bad in a beautiful way.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I liked Jerry Maguire and Magnolia, but other than that Tom Cruise just dosen't appear to be all that talented.

I also dislike Russel Crowe and pretty much any child actor.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pedro

Quote from: Walrus, Kookookajoob

I also dislike Russel Crowe
Most of the time I'm with you on this, but have you seen LA Confidential?

jokerspath

For the longest time, I found Laura Linney to be a remarkably bad actress.  That is, up until I saw (of course) You Can Count On Me...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

MacGuffin

Quote from: Pedro the Wombat
Quote from: Walrus, Kookookajoob

I also dislike Russel Crowe
Most of the time I'm with you on this, but have you seen LA Confidential?

Have you two seen "The Insider"?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Yeah, I used to barely tolerate Crowe (LA Confidential excepted), until I saw the Insider. Now I think he's great.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.