most annoying actors

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 12, 2003, 08:46:42 PM

godardian

As far as I'm concerned, despite their disparity in looks, Drew Barrymore is Renee Zellweger's equal in annoyance. They're not great, but their mediocrity is no big deal to me.

The person whose "acting" style I have found most annoying by far is that Madonna, who apparently does not understand that acting involves much more than posing and mugging your way through a music video ever will. I was sent to a press screening of The Next Best Thing, and I've seen my share of awful movies and terrible performances, but--I just wanted to throttle her and her horrible character. I think I was more traumatized than annoyed. Just . . . horrible.

A distant second is Ryan Reynolds in Waiting. I hated the movie, and I especially hated the thick layer of smarm in which Reynolds was coated every second he was onscreen.

On the tendency to mistake lack of sexiness for annoying acting: As far as I'm concerned, John Goodman is just as fucking good an actor as George Clooney. But because he's fat, he's too often been consigned to shit like King Ralph. That's one example. Another is Kathy Bates, who is also very good (she's the main reason to watch the underrated Primary Colors), but ditto on the preponderance of "wacky" parts she's stuck with because of age/body. Much of the commentary on About Schmidt and the hot tub scene confirmed some of my worst suspicions about our culture's thinking. Hence, I go out of my way to avoid equating lack of magazine-spread hotness with absence of talent. I think that it's a tremendous deficiency in judgment if you're seriously annoyed just because someone onscreen isn't going to be occupying your wet dreams. I mean, "Renee Zellweger annoys me because she's ugly . . . " I have to say I find comments like that much more annoying than I'd ever find the relatively harmless Renee Zellweger.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MacGuffin

Quote from: godardian on March 04, 2006, 12:56:04 AMThe person whose "acting" style I have found most annoying by far is that Madonna, who apparently does not understand that acting involves much more than posing and mugging your way through a music video ever will. I was sent to a press screening of The Next Best Thing, and I've seen my share of awful movies and terrible performances, but--I just wanted to throttle her and her horrible character. I think I was more traumatized than annoyed. Just . . . horrible.

Good news! - seems like she stopped acting.

Bad news - http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=402.msg210367#msg210367
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

hedwig

Quote from: godardian on March 04, 2006, 12:56:04 AM
Hence, I go out of my way to avoid equating lack of magazine-spread hotness with absence of talent. I think that it's a tremendous deficiency in judgment if you're seriously annoyed just because someone onscreen isn't going to be occupying your wet dreams. I mean, "Renee Zellweger annoys me because she's ugly . . . " I have to say I find comments like that much more annoying than I'd ever find the relatively harmless Renee Zellweger.

Wow, pyramid machine pwned by godardian.  :bravo: This has been a good night.

Another is Kathy Bates, who is also very good (she's the main reason to watch the underrated Primary Colors), but ditto on the preponderance of "wacky" parts she's stuck with because of age/body. Much of the commentary on About Schmidt and the hot tub scene confirmed some of my worst suspicions about our culture's thinking. Hence, I go out of my way to avoid equating lack of magazine-spread hotness with absence of talent. I think that it's a tremendous deficiency in judgment if you're seriously annoyed just because someone onscreen isn't going to be occupying your wet dreams. I mean, "Renee Zellweger annoys me because she's ugly . . . " I have to say I find comments like that much more annoying than I'd ever find the relatively harmless Renee Zellweger.

So true. I'm vice president of the Kathy Bates fan-club. "Primary Colors," "Misery," "About Schmidt," and "Delores Claiborne" are all great performances, but don't get me started on "Unconditional Love."

polkablues

A distant second is Ryan Reynolds in Waiting. I hated the movie, and I especially hated the thick layer of smarm in which Reynolds was coated every second he was onscreen.

:yabbse-sad:

I like Ryan Reynolds' smarm...

Anyway, the Most Annoying Actor in the History of Everything award goes to... <drum roll>... ANDIE MACDOWELL!  Seriously, her voice is like shaving your testicles with a cheese grater.

My house, my rules, my coffee

godardian

Quote from: Hedwig on March 04, 2006, 01:13:52 AM

Another is Kathy Bates, who is also very good (she's the main reason to watch the underrated Primary Colors), but ditto on the preponderance of "wacky" parts she's stuck with because of age/body. Much of the commentary on About Schmidt and the hot tub scene confirmed some of my worst suspicions about our culture's thinking. Hence, I go out of my way to avoid equating lack of magazine-spread hotness with absence of talent. I think that it's a tremendous deficiency in judgment if you're seriously annoyed just because someone onscreen isn't going to be occupying your wet dreams. I mean, "Renee Zellweger annoys me because she's ugly . . . " I have to say I find comments like that much more annoying than I'd ever find the relatively harmless Renee Zellweger.

So true. I'm vice president of the Kathy Bates fan-club. "Primary Colors," "Misery," "About Schmidt," and "Delores Claiborne" are all great performances, but don't get me started on "Unconditional Love."

Oh, yeah, Unconditional Love was strictly Lifetime. Great Don't Look Now joke, though. But totally, beyond cliche for Kathy Bates to play that role. Rupert Everett's blandness paled in comparison to the now-auteur (*shudder*) Madonna in Next Best Thing, but it was more noticeable there. His blandness doesn't really annoy me that much, but yeah . . . he's bland.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

hedwig

Quote from: polkablues on March 04, 2006, 01:23:06 AM
Anyway, the Most Annoying Actor in the History of Everything award goes to... <drum roll>... ANDIE MACDOWELL! Seriously, her voice is like shaving your testicles with a cheese grater.

I never thought her voice was annoying. Trust me, I'd join you in the bashiing if I thought so. An annoying voice is one of my (most extreme) pet-peeves. The most beautiful woman on earth will immediately be reduced to the Duchess of South Flanders in my eyes if she's got an exceedingly annoying voice.

Whatever, I like Andie.  :salute:

MacGuffin

Quote from: polkablues on March 04, 2006, 01:23:06 AM

I like Ryan Reynolds' smarm...

I didn't like it for a non-stop two hours in Blade 3.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

shinwa

Jake Gyllenhaal -  The guy has like two facal expressions.
Maggie Gyllenhaal - She looks like a monchichi.
Ryan Phillipe & Josh Hartnett - What douchebags. They want to be hearthrobs so bad.
Kevin Spacey - I can't stand his smirky face
Run until you puke blood.
Practice until you piss blood.
- Ping Pong

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Hedwig on March 04, 2006, 12:43:04 AM
NEON, you crossed out your entire list.

yeah, i fucked up the code....suffice to say that from that list i only own 67 of those films now....and shitcago was on e of the first to go.....

Hence, I go out of my way to avoid equating lack of magazine-spread hotness with absence of talent. I think that it's a tremendous deficiency in judgment if you're seriously annoyed just because someone onscreen isn't going to be occupying your wet dreams. I mean, "Renee Zellweger annoys me because she's ugly . . . " I have to say I find comments like that much more annoying than I'd ever find the relatively harmless Renee Zellweger.

it has nothing to do w/looks....i'm not one of those douchebags that hate on her b/c she's ugly...besides the fact that she is really ugly...she sucks as an actress...and she has a horrible sounding voice...

Quote from: Hedwig on March 04, 2006, 01:13:52 AM
Wow, pyramid machine pwned by godardian.  :bravo: This has been a good night.

please dont use that word again...its what 17 year old video game dorks use all the time on message boards..you're above that type of vernacular...

MacGuffin

Jar Jar Binks So Annoying
Beating out characters played by Pauly Shore and Rosie O'Donnell, Jar Jar Binks has been voted the most annoying movie character ever.
Source: FilmStew.com

Despite the nails-on-the-blackboard quality of the character played by Chris Tucker in The Fifth Element, and disregarding the entire careers of Pauly Shore, Rosie O'Donnell and Andy Dick, the most annoying character in film history is digital.

Daily Variety quotes a poll conducted by the LoveFilm.com website that crowns Star Wars: Episode I character Jar Jar Binks as the most annoying character in the history of film. Maybe they missed Spice World.

In any case, 5,000 fans chose the clumsy Gungan as the most annoying film character of all time, beating Andie MacDowell's character in Four Weddings and a Funeral. Rowan Atkinson's character Bean was named third, followed by Ace Ventura, who was brought to life by Jim Carrey, and Ben Stiller's character in Dodgeball.

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Quote from: MacGuffin on June 30, 2006, 01:03:03 AM
Andie MacDowell's character in Four Weddings and a Funeral.

:o

Other people are annoyed by Andie MacDowell, too!  I thought I might be the only one...

MacGuffin

Quote from: polkablues on June 30, 2006, 01:34:28 AMOther people are annoyed by Andie MacDowell, too!  I thought I might be the only one...

All you had to do was go to page one, post one.

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

Quote from: MacGuffin on June 30, 2006, 01:03:03 AM...followed by Ace Ventura, who was brought to life by Jim Carrey...

say what? i thought everyone loved ace.

polkablues

Can you believe we don't have a dedicated Brendan Fraser thread???

Brendan Fraser: A Career in Pictures

Stefen

Haha. But Brendan is good. Okay, he's not, but he tries! He's picked some killer roles a few times. Plus he seems like a really nice guy.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.