any other Nick Drake fans here?

Started by SoNowThen, May 28, 2003, 10:46:25 AM

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: tremoloslothI usually don't care, but when the advertising is effective, I have a problem.  I really don't want one of my favorite songs to automatically make me think of a stupid fucking car

but my point is if the song is great it transends that

but worst case senerio the song is great yet obscure so to you , you love it but the people around you think you are rocking out to the new arbys song

sometimes a ad can run a song, but sometimes not

does anyone remember herseys using " happiness is a warm gun"

that was fucking funny, and since they were so clueless to what the song meant i actually dug the ad

in a perverse way , it made me laugh a lot

sexterossa

Quote from: polkablues
Quote from: godardian
Quote from: SantaClauseWasA BlackMan

wasnt pink moon in a car ad?

Unfortunately, yes.

That car ad was how I discovered Nick Drake in the first place.  Same for a lot of people out there, I imagine.  Besides, I'd rather hear songs I like when I'm watching TV than have to sit through crappy music by bands whose fans don't mind if they sell out.

that seems logical, but sometimes the song can become totally overexposed that way and all enjoyment is lost. i mute the Saturn commerical with THE WALKMEN song.

as for Nick Drake, i love pink moon. i was planning on getting Bryter Later next.
I dream of birds and sometimes they land and burst into flames. And I dream my teeth are rotting. And when I am awake, I dream of you.

Ravi

I've heard a few of his songs and I like them.  Very calming.

sphinx

RegularKarate

A few years ago (oddly enough, it was just a couple months before Pink Moon became the official theme for Volkswagon), I was in a video store and they were playing his records (it was a really cool video store/coffee shop and bakery)... I asked the owner who it was and he said "this dude that killed himself, Nick Drake, his music makes me want to die".

I went out and bought one of his cds and whenever I'm in the mood for that kind of music, throw it on.

RegularKarate

A few years ago (oddly enough, it was just a couple months before Pink Moon became the official theme for Volkswagon), I was in a video store and they were playing his records (it was a really cool video store/coffee shop and bakery)... I asked the owner who it was and he said "this dude that killed himself, Nick Drake, his music makes me want to die".

I went out and bought one of his cds and whenever I'm in the mood for that kind of music, throw it on.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

aclockworkjj

Quote from: sphinxpink moon  :yabbse-thumbup:
I 2nd this notion.....or, Cocaine Blues too.

Ravi

Quote from: tremoloslothA few years ago (oddly enough, it was just a couple months before Pink Moon became the official theme for Volkswagon), I was in a video store and they were playing his records (it was a really cool video store/coffee shop and bakery)... I asked the owner who it was and he said "this dude that killed himself, Nick Drake, his music makes me want to die".

LOL

jonas

Quote from: sexterossa
i was planning on getting Bryter Later next.

Bryter Layter is a fantastic album as well. I've only got Pink Moon and Bryter Layter and both are great.

They have a totally different sound, Bryter Layter has more of a pop type sound (he's backed by a full band and some songs have arrangements), but then Nick comes in with his voice and lyrics and makes the songs sound link nothing I've ever heard.

Also, Nick is one of be most underrated guitar players ever.
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

tpfkabi

it's hard to beat Northern Sky.
Fives Leaves Left is really good, too. i think two songs from it were in The Good Girl.

i saw a Nick Drake song was on the Garden State soundtrack, but i didn't recognize it. is it a b-side?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

jonas

Quote from: bigideasit's hard to beat Northern Sky.
Fives Leaves Left is really good, too. i think two songs from it were in The Good Girl.

i saw a Nick Drake song was on the Garden State soundtrack, but i didn't recognize it. is it a b-side?

The song on Garden State is One of These Things First which is off of the album I praised above, Bryter Layter. Great song and great album.
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

pete

any other nick drake fans on xixax?  that's like asking "any other sensitive young hip males with song-downloading programs" on xixax.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

tpfkabi

oh, i only remember the titles for Northern Sky and Fly from that album.
i really have no reason to buy the Garden State soundtrack because i already have almost all of the songs.

i have yet to hear Pink Moon (not the song, but the album).
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I love how Pink Moon flows, the entire album seems like it's own beautiful masterpiece.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye