Favorite Female Singer-Songwriter

Started by pookiethecat, June 09, 2003, 10:08:07 PM

phil marlowe

beth gibbons rustin man thing was pretty good too. nothing special though.

important adds from the philadelphia soul corner:

erykah badu
jill scott

SoNowThen

I love Aimee's latest, but I'll go with Joni. Both Sides Now... when I hear that song, I wanna cry... damn it's beautiful...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenI love Aimee's latest, but I'll go with Joni. Both Sides Now... when I hear that song, I wanna cry... damn it's beautiful...

And we thought you hated all things Canadian!
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

Yeah, but remember, on that thread I said there are some things I'll let through: Joni, Neil Young...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Alexandro

Definite favorite is Björk...

but I love Fiona Apple, Beth Gibbons, and the girl from Moloko too...

Mesh

I'm sorta surprised no one's mentioned Patti Smith.  She's not one of my favorites, but she usually pops up in threads like this.  Same for Laurie Anderson.  Same for Liz Phair.  Courtney Love never gets mentioned, however.....

Does Kim Gordon qualify?  How 'bout Kim Deal?  How 'bout Tanya Donnelly?  How 'bout Kristin Hersh?  How 'bout Kate Bush?  How 'bout Chrissy Hynde?  OK, I'll stop.  But how 'bout them girls from Lush?

Anyways, my favorites:

1. PJ Harvey
2. Bjork
3. Kim Deal (if she qualifies...)
4. Joni Mitchell

chainsmoking insomniac

1) Fiona
2) Aimee Mann
3) Bjork
4) Sheryl Crow (earlier work....that shitty stuff she's putting out now can kiss my keester.  I liked the tormented, wayward Crow!)
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Sigur Rós

godardian

Quote from: MeshI'm sorta surprised no one's mentioned Patti Smith.  She's not one of my favorites, but she usually pops up in threads like this.  Same for Laurie Anderson.  Same for Liz Phair.  Courtney Love never gets mentioned, however.....

Does Kim Gordon qualify?  How 'bout Kim Deal?  How 'bout Tanya Donnelly?  How 'bout Kristin Hersh?  How 'bout Kate Bush?  How 'bout Chrissy Hynde?  OK, I'll stop.  But how 'bout them girls from Lush?

Anyways, my favorites:

1. PJ Harvey
2. Bjork
3. Kim Deal (if she qualifies...)
4. Joni Mitchell

Smith up to and including 1979 = Yes.
Laurie Anderson = Sometimes.
Kim Gordon = Cool as ice yesterday, today, and tomorrow.
Donnelly and Hirsch = Aggrandize their neuroses too much, but it's still often compelling
Girls from Lush = Awesome, esp. the last album.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Pubrick

Quote from: Alexandro, and the girl from Moloko too...
oh word, Roisin Murphy, she's awesome.

u hav good taste my mexican amigo.
under the paving stones.

Raikus

Old Jewel, Norah Jones, Finona Apple, Mazzy Star and Tori Amos.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

SoNowThen

Quote from: RaikusOld Jewel, Norah Jones, Finona Apple, Mazzy Star and Tori Amos.

Oh yeah, I forgot Hope Sandoval, she's cool.

edison

Would Shirley Manson count?......i just love her voice, always good work put out from Garbage.

neatahwanta

Fi
Janis
Norah

I'm not a big fan of female singers for some reason.  Tori bores the hell out of me as well, and I've given her music a few tries...even went to a live show, but it really didn't interest me at all.  Ani is great live, minus the preachiness.  Bjork is good, but some of her music sounds the same to me.

Fiona and Jon have been busy lately....going to Abbey Road Studios to record the strings last month.  According to Jon's yahoo group, Fiona and Jon sang with Rickie Lee Jones last Saturday night at Largo....hope someone got a tape of that.

pookiethecat

i''m not much of a tori fan either.  

i used to like "cornflake girl" and the rest of the under the pink album.  then i heard "me and a gun" and never felt so thoroughly disgusted by a song's artlessness in my life.  witless, unmusical piece of shit it is, especially when compared with the eloquence of fiona's "sullen girl."  her covers of "happiness is a warm gun" and "smells like teen spirit" are just plain awful too.
i wanna lick 'em.