Xixax Awards 2005

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 12, 2005, 09:24:23 PM

life_boy

Quote from: andyk
Quote from: MyxomatosisHow long was the nomination period open? Seems like it was only 2 or 3 weeks..

Almost all the active Xixax users check the site at least once a week. If you dont, there is so much to read that you miss many things - including maybe the new thread about the Awards.

The thread about the awards is an announcement (top of the list) so anyone who missed it wasn't looking too hard.  I'm not extremely active but I knew the awards were coming because it was getting close to mid-January so I started checking the site often.  I was beginning to wonder if the awards were going to happen at all because no one was talking about it.  But, then, the announcement came and I was ready for it.  

I think people might be afraid of leaving blanks on their ballot.  I know I don't like to do it.  One just has to remember that one's ballot does not have to be definitive: it is not one's final statement on film for the year.  I knew I wasn't going to be able to see Million Dollar Baby, Vera Drake, The Motorcycle Diaries, or Hotel Rwanda before the awards so I just took my time to see some other films that had already been released on DVD that I missed for whatever reason:  Before Sunset, Baadaaasss!, Coffee & Cigarettes, and Maria Full of Grace.  Not that there was a bunch of love out there for them besides actress for Maria and screenplay for Sunset, but they found several empty places on my ballot.

Redlum

Having now seen Before Sunset, I realise I'd have easily put it in my best picture noms. And agree with whoever said that it should be the film to win on Xixax. Just because. Its a very special film.

I still have to see Sideways (released here next week) and then I think Ive seen want I wanted to of 2004.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

bonanzataz

sorry. i would've nominated had i checked the site more often. oh well. NEXT YEAR!

i would like to have seen dogville and five obstructions on there. and birth. nobody saw birth, but it was one of the best "mainstream" pics of last year. i can't really remember what came out last year. whatever, y'all don't read my posts anyway.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

bigperm

Quote from: RegularKarateIt's really everyone's fault because you didn't vote.
Sorry, I was busy trying to come up with marquee phrases.
Safe As Milk

MacGuffin

It's time to vote for the 2005 Xixax Awards! This is the final vote!

Send your votes in through PM, following all the rules. The deadline is February 21.

Any questions? Ask them here.

THE RULES:

you have to
1. vote privately: (note that these letter designations are different!)
. . . .If your username begins begins with A-E (or #), send your ballot to MacGuffin
. . . .If your username begins begins with F-M, send your ballot to Jeremy Blackman
. . . .If your username begins begins with N-R, send your ballot to RegularKarate
. . . .If your username begins begins with S-Z, send your ballot to cinephile
2. copy the form below and paste it into your PM
3. delete all titles except your vote, like an elimination process
4. title your PM "final awards" (please!)

you should
1. be honest
2. vote from personal opinion and not consensus

you can't
1. send more than one ballot
2. vote from different memberships or usernames
3. type out your ballot (you have to copy & paste!)
4. add anything to the ballot
5. change the order of the categories
6. share your votes publicly (yet)
7. change your ballot

you can
1. vote in some categories or all categories
2. vote any time between now and February 21

copy and paste, deleting all titles but your vote

BEST FILM
The Aviator
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Kill Bill Vol. 2
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Sideways

BEST DIRECTOR
Michel Gondry  - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Michael Mann - Collateral
Alexander Payne - Sideways
Martin Scorsese - The Aviator
Quentin Tarantino - Kill Bill Vol. 2

BEST FEMALE PERFORMANCE
Catalina Sandino Moreno - Maria Full of Grace
Natalie Portman - Closer
Hillary Swank - Million Dollar Baby
Uma Thurman - Kill Bill Vol. 2
Kate Winslet - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

BEST MALE PERFORMANCE
Jim Carrey - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Leonardo DiCaprio - The Aviator
Jamie Foxx - Ray
Paul Giamatti - Sideways
Clive Owen - Closer

BEST SUPPORTING FEMALE PERFORMANCE
Cate Blanchett - The Aviator
Kirsten Dunst - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Laura Linney - Kinsey
Virginia Madsen - Sideways
Darryl Hannah - Kill Bill Vol. 2

BEST SUPPORTING MALE PERFORMANCE
David Carradine - Kill Bill Vol. 2
Willem Dafoe - The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou
Morgan Freeman - Million Dollar Baby
Mark Ruffalo - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Peter Sarsgaard - Kinsey

BEST SCREENPLAY
The Aviator
Before Sunset
I Heart Huckabees
Sideways

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
The Aviator
Collateral
Hero
The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou

BEST ORIGINAL MUSIC
The Aviator
I Heart Huckabees
The Life Aquatic With Steve Zizou
Sideways

BEST EDITING
The Aviator
I Heart Huckabees
Kill Bill Vol. 2
The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou

BEST SOUND
The Aviator
Collateral
Kill Bill Vol. 2
Spider-Man 2

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
The Aviator
The Day After Tomorrow
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Spider-Man 2

BEST DEBUT FILM
Garden State
Napoleon Dynamite
Shaun of the Dead
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Tarnation

BEST DOCUMENTARY
Control Room
Fahrenheit 9/11
Super Size Me
Tarnation
Touching the Void

BEST DVD RELEASE
John Cassavetes: Five Films (Criterion Collection)
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (Extended Edition)
Short Cuts (Criterion Collection)
Star Wars Trilogy
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SHAFTR

Question:  What about Million Dollar Baby?  Will that just be snuffed for noms this year b/c no one saw it in time and next year (b/c it's not elligible).  Reason I ask is that, after seeing it, I would say it's the best film of the year.  Any chance of having it added to Best Film, considering the circumstances?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Myxo

How the fuck did The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou make it but Million Dollar Baby didn't.

I'm not voting for any of those in the best film category on general principle.

..and no Clint Eastwood for Best Director either. Lame. Michael Mann? I love his films but :yabbse-thumbdown: on that one..

:saywhat:

SHAFTR

Quote from: MyxomatosisHow the fuck did The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou make it but Million Dollar Baby didn't.

..and no Clint Eastwood for Best Director either. Lame.

No one had seen it yet.  Where I live, the first day that I could see MDB without traveling 2.5 hrs was Friday.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Myxo

Quote from: SHAFTR
Quote from: MyxomatosisHow the fuck did The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou make it but Million Dollar Baby didn't.

..and no Clint Eastwood for Best Director either. Lame.

No one had seen it yet.  Where I live, the first day that I could see MDB without traveling 2.5 hrs was Friday.

But still..

..The Life Aquatic? Fucking A that movie wasn't even in the top 20 best films of the year let alone the top 5. We've got some Wes Anderson freaks here or something. Throw in Before Sunset in it's place then..

cine

Quote from: MyxomatosisWe've got some Wes Anderson freaks here or something.
yeah, seems like it. weird. i'll consult the other admins about this. maybe we should get him his own forum or something.

Myxo

Quote from: cinephile
Quote from: MyxomatosisWe've got some Wes Anderson freaks here or something.
yeah, seems like it. weird. i'll consult the other admins about this. maybe we should get him his own forum or something.

I know he's got his own forum but seriously..

Even if you are a huge fan of his movies, anyone with half a brain has to realize that his movie wasn't 1/4 as good as 10 other movies not nominated for best film this year.

Million Dollar Baby
Ray
Incredibles
House of Flying Daggers
Closer
Before Sunset
Finding Neverland
Vera Drake
Collateral
Kinsey

..are all superior films to Anderson's average hohum Life Aquatic..

ono

I think write-in votes should be allowed, just because it is a shame Million Dollar Baby was overlooked.  It's the only film I can think of that would benefit from a write-in, anyway.

Pubrick

uh, i wasn't around for the vote (not that it would hav mattered) but i think if anyone is gonna cry about anything (and i'm sure at least one of u will) why not make it about sumthing as ATROCIOUS as kb2.. seriouisly.

can we vote to take votes off? like negative votes? talk about fanboy blind voting.
under the paving stones.

Slick Shoes

this is ludicrous! I resign!

oh wait. it's my fault

fuck it. i still resign.

Sleuth

Proceed with the Xixax Awards.
I like to hug dogs